BBC - Interurpted Services

Comments

• The Magic MonkeyThe Magic Monkey Posts: 1,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smiggs wrote:
    I guess it doesn't take much to run a radio studio in terms of bodies.

Radio 1 studio are self-of, ie the presenter runs it; so yes, it's easy enough for them to at least stay on air playing music out of a database. That's about it.

The Today Programme, 5 Live etc, are different, as the studios are operated by other people, and by the very nature of journalism, if there are no producers around to research stories, write scripts and so on, then the presenter will have nothing to say.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 116
    Forum Member
    It would be nice if they could gradualy sack the less important people on strike until they stop striking.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 116
    Forum Member
    Did you used to be management at TVam? :mad:
    I infact used to own TVam and managed it all myself.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was just a report about it on the BBC One News at 10. He also said that there could be disruption for the Live Oasis Concert planned for Radio One.
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,682
    Forum Member
    All the BBC1 new programmes are still in my DigiGuide and Tivo, though. Would have thought they'd've known by now what was going to be on instead.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    They haven't changed any scheduling only as to say, that programmes may be disrupted due to industrial action. I think it is a case of a management smoothing over when it comes to the scheduling.
  • GlenGlen Posts: 12,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC Three have confirmed that there will be no news tomorrow (7 o'clock or 60 Seconds).
  • robrymondukrobrymonduk Posts: 910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So have any schedules changed so far?
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lloydje wrote:
    There was just a report about it on the BBC One News at 10. He also said that there could be disruption for the Live Oasis Concert planned for Radio One.

Great news! At least something good will come of this.

As BBC News 24 is obviously going to be affected, they should put episodes of The Day Today on instead.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lloydje wrote:

really? its not actually live but was actually recorded this weekend all they need to do is press play! :D They might have to abandon some of the interviews planned for the day but I'd imagine the recording will go out, it would be awfully strange to promise something and not deliver it unless of course they want to pour scorn on the union.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Smiggs wrote:
    really? its not actually live but was actually recorded this weekend all they need to do is press play! :D They might have to abandon some of the interviews planned for the day but I'd imagine the recording will go out, it would be awfully strange to promise something and not deliver it unless of course they want to pour scorn on the union.

Yea, well, thats all he really said, you can re-watch the 2 minute segment about it, if you have Broadband, click the video link on the right hand side...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/4570237.stm#
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 370
    Forum Member
    The strike has began; BBC NEWS 24 is currently showing a 'recorded' BBC WORLD bulletin.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    he's just listing what the bbc are going to do tomorrow i suppose if the thing has to be mixed and cut they might have a problem. I would have thought any fool could do that though, they can send me the files and i'll edit it for them ;)
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So we have to manage a day without BBC News, hardly much to worry about. The Chelsea Flower Show is lost, but I expect it will be like any other Chelsea Flower Show, lose a
    few piccys of the Royal Family parading about in the flowers, but does it really matter.

The news is a report of what has happened, or could happen and if we are a couple of days late finding out what has gone on in the world does it really matter. Much of it is superfluous junk news anyway.

Just watch any news programme and say to yourself, if I hadn't known that, would it have mattered and if I did know about it what can I do about it. Will it make any difference to you or the world if 99.99% of that news is not known till the next day. I often go a day without watching BBC news or any TV or radio news.

There are many other sources of news for those who cannot live without it, namely newspapers, other news channels etc. The only way BBC news will be missed is if there is another 9/11 or tsunami or a tragedy on a large scale, and if that was to happen the strike would be immediately suspended anyway. :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What happened with News24 during the 1998 strike? That was just members of BECTU if I remember correctky and not the NUJ. If News24 is broadcasting recorded BBC World bulletins, how will the news be updated over the next 24 hours?
    Forum Member
    good point. I'm assuming that we will see a BBC Manager in the hot seat at some point, but from what studio, what graphics, who doing the vision, with who's reports???
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The News 24 box logo and clock has appeared so it is now double logoed. BBC World is also playing the same recording simultaneously.

My prediction is that the management will play this recording until 6am and hope that nothing happens during the night.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    BBC radio five live appear to be playing a old sport interactive show. So radio five not live
  • Zeropoint1Zeropoint1 Posts: 10,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This could be a good way to trial a different form of News 24. 12:30 and we get Click online. I guess the BBC could play with a new lineup today and see what works.
    Forum Member
    BBC One is due to join BBC News 24 at 00:55, but N24 is in a recorded programme, so what are they going to do?? Crash into Click Online or fill on BBC One for 5 minutes??
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Livecast wrote:
    BBC One is due to join BBC News 24 at 00:55, but N24 is in a recorded programme, so what are they going to do?? Crash into Click Online or fill on BBC One for 5 minutes??

That's what they do anyway. Drop into a story half-way through or into a recorded programme.
  • James HattsJames Hatts Posts: 245
    Forum Member
    fillip wrote:
    This could be a good way to trial a different form of News 24. 12:30 and we get Click online. I guess the BBC could play with a new lineup today and see what works.
    Click Online is scheduled for this slot anyway.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's already started. R5 has an old sports programme
    BBC web site not updated since 2338 "last" night.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's already started. R5 has an old sports programme
    BBC web site not updated since 2338 "last" night.

Last Updated: Sunday, 22 May, 2005, 23:38 GMT 00:38 UK
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm with the strikers - the BBC has to be protected, especially as ITV is careering downhill at the moment.