Options

Billie Piper Quits Doctor Who (Yes, she does!)

JohnrJohnr Posts: 3,174
Forum Member
✭✭✭
News posted by Dreamwatch magazine (who have the exclusive details in issue 130) @Roobarb‘s. She will only appear in a few season 2 eps.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I posted this in the doctor who 14th may thread about 30minutes ago, no-one seems to care though :-p.

Shame, I thought she was quite good in the role.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rua is god wrote:
    Shame, I thought she was quite good in the role.

Companions come and go. DW isn't like you average TV show where major cast changes have a serious effect. Rose moving on will allow for different stories and characters to be introduced.

She was an excellent companion for exposition, and for taking the place of the new viewer, but her leaving won't adversely affect the show.
  • Options
    JamfocusJamfocus Posts: 7,024
    Forum Member
    Is she going then for good?
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What??????????????? Both of them going? This is awful, I liked both of them but now this is happening. I wonder what the completely new doctor and companion will be like. Also Eccleston said that he reason he was not going to give away the reason he quit but it was not because of typcasting. Wonder why people are leaving something that we thought would only be good for there career
  • Options
    KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Szlater wrote:
    Companions come and go. DW isn't like you average TV show where major cast changes have a serious effect. Rose moving on will allow for different stories and characters to be introduced.

She was an excellent companion for exposition, and for taking the place of the new viewer, but her leaving won't adversely affect the show.

Agreed, but whoever takes over the job will have quite a tough act to follow.

She is - oh no I can't stop myself -

FANTASTIC :D

K
  • Options
    KoopyKoopy Posts: 848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think they both make the show. I have so enjoyed it and am very worried that it is going to go downhill drastically when both leave. :(
  • Options
    iainiain Posts: 63,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i guess it was kind of inevitable - its a shame tho' as she's pretty good. i guess she's got more reason to get out for typecasting reasons than ecclestone does really - we all already know he's an established quality actor who could easily do other stuff - but this is only piper's third serious role. plus, didn't she mention recently that she might like to do some more music?

also - they've gone to great lengths to shed light on the so she's just upped sticks, and keft her mum wondering where the hell she is question, with plenty of back and forth to earth - first phoning her mum, then going back, then going back in time and meeting her dad etc. with all that done, its set up to move on from that - so it really seems too soon to go for that reason - the covering of these bases will now be disproportionate to the time spent in the role.

but after the whole bruhaha before it started, and that huge buzz about, which has largely actually delivered, its a real pity to see it change so much so soon.

Iain
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,547
    Forum Member
    I would have been surprised if she'd done all 14 episodes of series 2. She's been good but I feel there's been too much focus on her so far. Hopefully with a new Doctor and companion(s), the focus will return to the Doctor as it should be.

She's been an excellent companion and hopefully she'll pave the way for more fully-rounded companions in the future.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stuart62 wrote:
    She's been good but I feel there's been too much focus on her so far. Hopefully with a new Doctor and companion(s), the focus will return to the Doctor as it should be.

I agree.

I think the reason they did this was to introduce the various concepts of DW to an audience that probably hasn't seen it before. She was an excellent vehicle for things to be explained, and for the realities of upping sticks and leaving in the TARDIS to be demonstrated.

I would imagine that the new Doctor and Companions will have more traditional adventures, without the need to constantly return to the companion's home (which although has been fun in this series will get old very very quickly).

As long as they bring in some interesting replacement(s) then all should go swimmingly.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 444
    Forum Member
    It will be a completley different show but then (as an old lass who has seen all the different doctors) everyone has had their own style and very different themes. This one has had excellent writers and, in my opinion, has been excellent so that bodes well for the future doesnt it?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Potential replacement to stand alongside David Tennant?

They need someone who is young and can really act, but who isn't a soap reject.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Keiran Knightly?
  • Options
    Scottish_Lad06Scottish_Lad06 Posts: 480
    Forum Member
    I think both Christopher Ecclestone and Billie Piper were excellent in their roles. It's a shame they're both leaving :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keiran Knightly?

Who is he?
  • Options
    iainiain Posts: 63,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    keira's brother?

sorry.

Iain
  • Options
    greygrey Posts: 5,037
    Forum Member
    After the success of the series there will be a queue of agents offering their clients as Billie Piper's replacement.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    LOL, I cant type straight - yes I meant Keira - just testing to see if you were all awake ;)

:):D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well its a shame on some levels as obivously she was a good actress and played a likable character, but, I think her and chris came as a package with one being cast to compliment the other.
    I'm sure this Tennant guy has his own ideas what he wants to do with the role and so its probably best they tailor make a new companion for him rather risk having the series seem unbalanced.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about Kelly Macdonald?
  • Options
    cj592cj592 Posts: 4,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grey wrote:
    After the success of the series there will be a queue of agents offering their clients as Billie Piper's replacement.

Abi Titmuss, Rebecca Loos, Jeff Brazier? ;P

Cj

I think Billie has been brilliant, but I think it is right for a new doctor to have a new assistant(s) to build a special relationship with
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Dont know Kelly McDonald what has she been in?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd like maybe two new assistants! One male, and one female. It'd be interesting to see how they all get on, and if it develops into a love triangle!

Possibly one of them could be some sort of alien as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dont know Kelly McDonald what has she been in?

She was first seen in Trainspotting and most recently in State of Play.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/drama/stateofplay/game_images/images/4c.jpg
  • Options
    robbins2096robbins2096 Posts: 1,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about 2 female companions? It worked with Tegan and Nyssa.

David
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wont believe it until the BBC makes an official announcement :rolleyes: