Options

Help a Yank out: What's Salad Cream?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26
Forum Member
Hello,

I'm from the United States and am a big fan of UK Big Brother. Would anyone be able to tell me what Salad Cream is? I've never heard of it before, and Google isn't helping me out. I'm watching the Sunday show now and Science is ranting and raving about not having his Salad Cream... Is it like mayonaise or tartar sauce?

Any help would be appreciated. Cheers!

Comments

• Options
    JonDoeJonDoe Posts: 31,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Imagine a cross between mayonaise and semen.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    It's a manky, grim version of mayonnaise. Stick to mayo mate, you won't go far wrong!
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It pours like tomato sauce,is yellow in colour and takes like mayo with vinegar added........I think.
  • Options
    zoundszounds Posts: 10,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You mean you've never seen fawlty towers?!! :D

Master Heath: I'd like some bread and salad cream.
    Basil Fawlty: Well, there's the bread, and there's the mayonnaise.
    Master Heath: I said salad cream, stupid.
    Basil Fawlty: We don't have any salad cream.
    Master Heath: What a dump.
    Basil Fawlty: ...The chef made that mayonnaise fresh this morning.
    Master Heath: That's puke, that is.
    Basil Fawlty: Well, at least it's fresh puke!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Salad cream is a creamy yellow viscous sauce condiment similar in ilk to mayonnaise. As the title suggests, this underrated sauce is a cream for adding to salads. Its ingredients (spirit vinegar, vegetable oil, water, sugar, mustard, salt, egg yolks, modified cornflour, xantham gum and guar gum as stabilisers, and riboflavin for colouring) are simple yet ingenious and cover the four main food groups, but like many other things the end product is greater than the sum of its parts.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 218
    Forum Member
    As others have suggested it is mayo that is thinned down to a pouring consistancy by the addition of vinegar and then flavoured with sugar so the taste isnt too sharp. Has a little bit of a kick to it compared to mayo and appeals to the sweet tooth of children.
    Most of us grow out of it in our teenage years and trade up to mayo, although I still find it delicious with a cheese and onion sandwich.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    toffybolox wrote:
    As others have suggested it is mayo that is thinned down to a pouring consistancy by the addition of vinegar and then flavoured with sugar so the taste isnt too sharp. Has a little bit of a kick to it compared to mayo and appeals to the sweet tooth of children.
    Most of us grow out of it in our teenage years and trade up to mayo, although I still find it delicious with a cheese and onion sandwich.

Sandwich heaven. :D

When I worked in a bakers shop, in my teens, we used to make a sandwich called a 'cheese savoury' that was grated cheese, grated onion, and grated carrot all mixed up with salad cream. It was fab. :) I still keep salad cream in my fridge to make it (that's all it's there for - honest... :o )
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    zeruel wrote:
    Hello,

I'm from the United States and am a big fan of UK Big Brother. Would anyone be able to tell me what Salad Cream is? I've never heard of it before, and Google isn't helping me out. I'm watching the Sunday show now and Science is ranting and raving about not having his Salad Cream... Is it like mayonaise or tartar sauce?

It tastes a lot like Miracle Whip, i.e. revolting! ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally, I'm more concerned with Science's insistence on Fish Fingers! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kermie wrote:
    It tastes a lot like Miracle Whip, i.e. revolting! ;)

Apprently not . letter to Heinz

"I love salad cream. Love it. A tuna sandwich is revolting without it. A piece of lettuce is a bland leaf without a splash of your lovely potion. Alas, I've emigrated to America recently, and all they have over here is Miracle Whip, a weird Salad Cream/mayo hybrid that tastes just like it sounds...awful. If I wanted mayo, I'd buy it. So I have to give up on my tuna sandwich and my salads...but it was fun while it lasted. Thanks Salad Cream for the best tasting dressing ever."
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's like a cross between Mayonnaise & French dressing.

The "original" Salad Cream is made by British food manufacturer Heinz, although unlike all of their other products is only sold in Britain.

A couple of years ago they tried to discontinue it but had to relent after a huge campaign to save it by the British press, the public and backed by British celebrities and a national chain of cafes.
  • Options
    Justin_TimeJustin_Time Posts: 124
    Forum Member
    Mmmm...salad cream and ready salted crisps. *drool*
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.heinz.com/jsp/world.jsp#57sauce

scroll down and it tells you all about it!!!Better than Mayo anyday for sarnies :D

:D
    :cool: :cool:
  • Options
    homer911homer911 Posts: 5,198
    Forum Member
    salad cream is focking brilliant
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 272
    Forum Member
    Tiagress wrote:
    It's like a cross between Mayonnaise & French dressing.

The "original" Salad Cream is made by British food manufacturer Heinz, although unlike all of their other products is only sold in Britain.

A couple of years ago they tried to discontinue it but had to relent after a huge campaign to save it by the British press, the public and backed by British celebrities and a national chain of cafes.

You can get salad cream in most Supermarkets where I live in Canada. I went off it for about 15 years (went mayo mad) but now it's back in my fridge and there's nothing quite like it! ... and I agree, it's great with salty crisps! :D
  • Options
    RoanRoan Posts: 3,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its great with chips, fishfingers and on sandwiches especially with grated cheese, ummmmm! :)
  • Options
    KatKatrinaKatKatKatrinaKat Posts: 139
    Forum Member
    I love salad cream, i put it on toast.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    A guy i work with gets a full fried breakfast from the canteen every day, and dumps salad cream all over the lot before scoffing.

Makes me want to boak.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 487
    Forum Member
    zeruel wrote:
    Hello,

Out of interest, Zeruel, how do you watch it in the states?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 964
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i personally hate the salad cream only tested it once when it come out. heres a link with info http://store.shopenglandonline.com/heinsalcream2.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:D when I was a kid I used to love salad cream sandwiches. :eek:

It's best with white bread too, not wholemeal (I think the whole healthy aspect of wholemeal bread taints the essence of the salad cream) :)
  • Options
    KatKatrinaKatKatKatrinaKat Posts: 139
    Forum Member
    Did you put anything with the salad cream? or just salad cream?
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member

Me too, delicious :D
  • Options
    CaptainSensibleCaptainSensible Posts: 5,487
    Forum Member
    Salad cream is great for certain things (when you need a bit more sweetness/kick/tang/etc.); I can't stand the snobs who want to ban the stuff.

I love Mayonaisse too, but not that Helman's crap; good French Mayo made with decent oil and a pinch of mustard is much better.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did you put anything with the salad cream? or just salad cream?

Just salad cream! :o
This discussion has been closed.