Options

List of IDTVs and STBs incompatible with 8k

StuartBStuartB Posts: 943
Forum Member
✭✭
Ofcom have stated that around 75000 IDTVs and also all ITV Digital boxes will not be compatible with the final format of DTT (8k).

I've created this (hopefully to become sticky) thread so that any information regarding which IDTVs are incompatible (or indeed which early IDTVs or ITV boxes which surprisingly do turn out to be compatible) can be posted.

Stuart

Comments

• Options
    BangersBangers Posts: 3,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    StuartB wrote:
    Ofcom have stated that around 75000 IDTVs and also all ITV Digital boxes will not be compatible with the final format of DTT (8k).

I've created this (hopefully to become sticky) thread so that any information regarding which IDTVs are incompatible (or indeed which early IDTVs or ITV boxes which surprisingly do turn out to be compatible) can be posted.

Stuart
    The only ITV/ONdigital box that I think supports 8k is the Nokia 9850T I'm afraid.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where's the list?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DerekP wrote:
    Where's the list?

maby it was metaphorical ;)
  • Options
    IanPIanP Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    StuartB wrote:
    Ofcom have stated that... all ITV Digital boxes will not be compatible with the final format of DTT (8k).
    Is it a mediahighway issue? Many second generation ON/ITV digital boxes contained front ends capable of 8k reception.

The Echostar T101 may be incompatable with 8k (it is one of the few Freeview STBs not to mention 8k compatability in the spec).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,626
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bangers wrote:
    The only ITV/ONdigital box that I think supports 8k is the Nokia 9850T I'm afraid.
    i was told it didn't :confused:
  • Options
    kevkev Posts: 21,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i was told it didn't :confused:
    I belive Timo said in another post that he's tried it in Finland (presumably) where it didn't work - now if a Nokia box can't work in Finland there much be something in the ITV Digital firmware that prevents it from working, especially if the hardware supposadly supports 8K.
  • Options
    naddieuknaddieuk Posts: 1,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is the quality of 8k reception like?
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kev wrote:
    I belive Timo said in another post that he's tried it in Finland (presumably) where it didn't work - now if a Nokia box can't work in Finland there much be something in the ITV Digital firmware that prevents it from working, especially if the hardware supposadly supports 8K.

The 9850T I had only supported 2K according to the manual.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think all of the Sagem boxes support 8K, the Sagem ID62 definatly does.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DerekP wrote:
    Where's the list?
    This thread will become the list as info is added.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lets face it:

in around 6 years time (big brothers switch over time from anal-og to digitalis) we will have all thrown our £50 STB's away for something that......... can get 8K, as well as turn the lights on when we get home,......... set the hard drive sureal recorder to our frame of mind, so we can just imagine what we wanted to watch and it's there.......... and know what sort of day we have had, so we all have comedy, sport, music or violence shown........ spray the apartment with our favourite perfume ( it will know what mood we are in ),........ have arranged dinner and drinks for two on the patio........transmitted our daily input to Big Mother ( cos they WILL be watching us ).......put the cat out and arranged the nocturnal revitalising/reconditioning area so we can catch up on some real Structured Health Input Time,......... advised us that OFCOM have decided that PAL 625 Nicam was probably better anyway and doesn't cause headaches from low masts,.... and allow us to catch up on as many digital spy forum re-runs as we can take in.

Its only rock and roll!

Henry:) ;) :sleep:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lets face it:

in around 6 years time (big brothers switch over time from anal-og to digitalis) we will have all thrown our £50 STB's away for something that......... can get 8K, as well as turn the lights on when we get home,......... set the hard drive sureal recorder to our frame of mind, so we can just imagine what we wanted to watch and it's there.......... and know what sort of day we have had, so we all have comedy, sport, music or violence shown........ spray the apartment with our favourite perfume ( it will know what mood we are in ),........ have arranged dinner and drinks for two on the patio........transmitted our daily input to Big Mother ( cos they WILL be watching us ).......put the cat out and arranged the nocturnal revitalising/reconditioning area so we can catch up on some real Structured Health Input Time,......... advised us that OFCOM have decided that PAL 625 Nicam was probably better anyway and doesn't cause headaches from low masts,.... and allow us to catch up on as many digital spy forum re-runs as we can take in.

Its only rock and roll!

The future is already here my Radio has a beverage holder on it and this computer company called AOL keep sending me drinks mats in the post
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MattCom wrote:
    drinks mats

Is that the firm that got hoisted for a few million at heathrow a couple of years back ?

Henry;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is that the firm that got hoisted for a few million at heathrow a couple of years back ?

Henry

I wish maybe if it was AOL wouldnt send me so many CD's do make good retro style Drink Mat or coaster gives the house a real 70's feel especially with some stuck on the walls as well
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    efo wrote:
    Structured Health Input Time

Did you know what the abbreviation for that was going to be before you wrote it? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did you know what the abbreviation for that was going to be before you wrote it? :D

well..................:rolleyes: perhaps !
    henry
    ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    Is the Matsui drt1 and the Echostar T101 compatible.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MattCom wrote:
    I wish maybe if it was AOL wouldnt send me so many CD's do make good retro style Drink Mat or coaster gives the house a real 70's feel especially with some stuck on the walls as well

I love AOL, do you know that as well as drinks mats , those lovely discs they insist on sending by post make excellent bird scarers. I give them to my family who live in the country and they tie them near plants and vegetables they have just planted and they scare away the birds. I bet AOL never knew how helpful they were being ! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    I think all of the Sagem boxes support 8K, the Sagem ID62 definatly does.

yep, I told my ITD58 that it was in France and it tuned into everything except BBC1 allegedly at 8K
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yep, I told my ITD58 that it was in France and it tuned into everything except BBC1 allegedly at 8K
    Apparently in 2002 only 5% of receivers could work with 8k. Of the remainder, the majority were incompatible at hardware level, and around 40% ahd the hardware but the software did not allow the option to work.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 103
    Forum Member
    Are any current channels on 8K that could be used to test if a box was compatible?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nicch wrote:
    Are any current channels on 8K that could be used to test if a box was compatible?
    Just go anywhere else in Europe where DVB-T transmissions are live to test it! (Info on my site under world info)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,768
    Forum Member
    Bangers wrote:
    The 9850T was converted the earliest to support 8K.
    BUT early Nokias do no support it.
    You should be able to tell from the manual and (probably) the firmware level if it does.

Mine is an early Nokia 9850T and so does not - although I have no way of checking it.
    My philips 6370 is even earlier - so no chance!

I presume the 'silver' (refurbished or otherwise) Nokias will support 8K - maybe the Nokia web site can tell you?

If the refurbished Nokias can support 8K then maybe they will upgrade them - but then again it will probably cost more than a new box - so why bother.

Perhaps old boxes will start a long trek North and West out of the South East and East Anglia - to continue their long lives in other areas?

Perhaps I will be able to test my Nokia when French signals beam across the channel in the summer.

Boxes that support 8K will just work - just like those that switch modes between 16and 64QAM like they all do - you won't have to flick switches or anything!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boxes that support 8K will just work - just like those that switch modes between 16and 64QAM like they all do - you won't have to flick switches or anything!
    You'll probably need to perform a "Store Channels" thingy to get them to recognise the changes though, like i had to on my Pioneer when MUX1 was switched to 16QAM
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe the Grundig IDTV will work - the digital card within the set has a very similar part number to the Grundig tuner modules fitted to many Hauppauge Nova-T DVB cards, which do support 8k.
This discussion has been closed.