Options

THOMSON DHD4000 shipping with 80gig H/Drive

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 49
Forum Member
Just bought a THOMSON DHD4000 advertised with a 40 gig hard drive from QED. When I opended the box there was a yellow leaflet in it telling me it had the new software 1.7 installed. Ok fair enough, just decided to have a peak inside and noticed the drive was a Seagate ST380012ACE which is a 80 gig drive.
Is this correct. Are they now shipping with 80 gig.
BTW QED is £154 delivered but the one I bought has a fault so is going back. :(

Comments

• Options
    The EagleThe Eagle Posts: 772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    caverncity wrote:
    Just bought a THOMSON DHD4000 advertised with a 40 gig hard drive from QED. When I opended the box there was a yellow leaflet in it telling me it had the new software 1.7 installed. Ok fair enough, just decided to have a peak inside and noticed the drive was a Seagate ST380012ACE which is a 80 gig drive.
    Is this correct. Are they now shipping with 80 gig.
    BTW QED is £154 delivered but the one I bought has a fault so is going back. :(

Might be a return, and someone forgot to remove the 80GB drive they had fitted :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    exactly.

Or it could be a refurb and the drive was shot so instead of putting in a 40 gig they have put in a 80 gig instead.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's unlikely that it's an upgrade someone forgot to take out as it an ACE drive, which are very difficult to get hold of unless you are a manufacturer. It's possible that it's a refurb. It could also be a mistake - perhaps there was an 80GB drive amongst the 40s. Difficult to say for sure. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    for the price they are selling them at and with it having the yellow leaflet in the box with the new upgrade I would say it is a refurb more than a brand new one.
    £147 compared to £199 makes it more viable.
    I just wish they would say they are if it is a refurb.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd disagree. QED only sell cheaper because they are an online retailer, not because they sell knocked-off goods.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    I just bought thomson dhd4000 3 days ago, and I also had the yellow slip with the update in it AND from QED too! But I'm pretty sure it only has a 40gb hard disc just guessing from the title on the box and the fact there you are definitely limited to the amount of recordings you can have - again guessing roughly 20hrs which is probs a 40gb hard disc. But how do actually find out for sure what hard disc it is, i.e. 40gb seagate e.t.c.

Slightly separate question/request: Does anyone know how to upgrade the hard disc to 120gb (or whatever) with ease? You see I'm very good with computer when it comes to software, using it a lot, online e.t.c BUT when it comes to hardware I know very little. But I can follow simple instructions. Has anyone done this and maybe can advise me? Thanks a lot. P.S. My first ever forum entry! Think its a great idea for users to chat to each other especially when manufacturers provide very little support.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    Slightly off topic, but just to let you all know, Currys are sellin' the Thomson DHD4000 for £179.99
  • Options
    The EagleThe Eagle Posts: 772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Slightly separate question/request: Does anyone know how to upgrade the hard disc to 120gb (or whatever) with ease? You see I'm very good with computer when it comes to software, using it a lot, online e.t.c BUT when it comes to hardware I know very little. But I can follow simple instructions. Has anyone done this and maybe can advise me? Thanks a lot. P.S. My first ever forum entry! Think its a great idea for users to chat to each other especially when manufacturers provide very little support.

have a look at Sebbys EXCELLENT site http://www.apsi86.dsl.pipex.com/dhd4000/

also you might want to look here:-
    http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=176236&page=1&pp=25
    http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=199190&page=1&pp=25
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    Thanks a lot. I've heard that with the hard disc upgrade you get a better chance of "yellow light of death"? Do you think that's true. And if you've ever done the upgrade, any problems? How reliable? If I just bought the correct disc and did all the correct things to it, i.e. jumpers, using the HUTIL utility e.t.c. would it work without problems because I don't think I could work out what was wrong with it if I did? Thanks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I just bought thomson dhd4000 3 days ago, and I also had the yellow slip with the update in it AND from QED too! But I'm pretty sure it only has a 40gb hard disc just guessing from the title on the box and the fact there you are definitely limited to the amount of recordings you can have - again guessing roughly 20hrs which is probs a 40gb hard disc. But how do actually find out for sure what hard disc it is, i.e. 40gb seagate e.t.c.

QUOTE]

Take the lid off and it says on the hard drive top left hand corner what it is, if not search the net for the model number of the hard drive.