Options

What about the £49 refurb installs

TallaricoTallarico Posts: 258
Forum Member
Those of you that ordered it did you get it installed? What is the box like? I got through to the cancellations dept last night but they said they didnt deal with sky+, and give me the sky + phone number.

Comments

• Options
    Skyblue81Skyblue81 Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    Are they always the old Version 1 boxes? My dad's interested in it, been a customer since early 90's analogue days, and not paying £150 or whatever it is, I don't blame him!
    But he says he'd probably be the one who phones up threatening to cancel, and they'll say "OK sod off then"...!
    Then again I doubt my dad will fussy about the box anyway, he's still got a black and silver Pace from a few years ago.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    I'll let you know tomorrow :)

edit - I was told while on the phone that the boxes are the ones from a 'refused install' so they are still new - just had the packaging opened.

But I'll post back in this thread and say what box I get.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nice one cheers.
    Maybe it simply depends on stock I guess. Like I said I doubt he'd care but it would be nice for him to get the 'new' one. Especially as he's been a Sky user (with the top package incidentally) for nearly 15 years (I think)!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Skyblue81 wrote:
    Nice one cheers.
    Maybe it simply depends on stock I guess. Like I said I doubt he'd care but it would be nice for him to get the 'new' one. Especially as he's been a Sky user (with the top package incidentally) for nearly 15 years (I think)!

I don't mind what box they give me as long as it works ok - if it doesn't you can be sure I'll be on the phone 10mins later getting them to come and sort it :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Of course... after all what do we pay them for?! At the end of the day they should all work the same, with just a different casing. Maybe sometime it will be like that :)
  • Options
    JamboUKJamboUK Posts: 396
    Forum Member
    Tallarico wrote:
    Those of you that ordered it did you get it installed? What is the box like? I got through to the cancellations dept last night but they said they didnt deal with sky+, and give me the sky + phone number.

Got mine yesterday... Pace V1 ... but looks like new.. boxed and everything.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll wait,until sky start giving them away :) .
  • Options
    coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll wait,until sky start giving them away :) .

Is that the 12th of never......?

:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Actually I did read somewhere (not that I can remember where now :() that sky will be doing an offer for a NEW sky+ box for £49 for existing customers and a free refurb box around christmas time.

Might have been a load of BS tho.

p.s. The engineer just called - I'm almost excited now :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It was a pace v1 box that was installed.

Still waiting for the recording to become active.
  • Options
    RagnarokRagnarok Posts: 4,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who did you guys talk to to get one? i've had no luck with cancelations.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ragnarok wrote:
    Who did you guys talk to to get one? i've had no luck with cancelations.

Unfortunately that's exactly who I'd called.

They wouldn't budge untill I told them I was going to cancel completely tho.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    How about saying "I know you'll give me a £49 special offer If I threaten to cancel, so save yourself the hassle, and my phone bill, and sort it out for me mate, cheers and Sky is the best thing ever", I wonder if that might push things along a bit if you get a stubborn one.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    Have managed to order the £49-00 deal this afternoon without multi-room. Details were found here on the best way to do it and the right number to phone, as only one department is able to give you this deal.

Just make up some cock and bull story that you want to cancel as fed up not being able to get the decent Sky deals as an existing customer.

At 49-00 incl. installation for a refurb box (with one year warranty) it's a snip.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    I got an Amstrad PVR2 box installed
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I am less than happy at the moment.

The last ten mins of Dr Who was completely ruined by freezing and locking up.

The signal test says about %80 on input 1 and 2....

Time to give sky a call I think.

It seems to only be happening on BBC1.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Totally forgot to set mine to record Dr Who tonight! Oops. Luckily it's repeated at 0:20 on BBC3, hopefully it'll work :) Recorded a few things without difficulty so far, I've heard of a few problems specifically with Dr Who though before.
    I'll have to do a BBC1 record tomorrow, see how it goes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Skyblue81 wrote:
    Totally forgot to set mine to record Dr Who tonight! Oops. Luckily it's repeated at 0:20 on BBC3, hopefully it'll work :) Recorded a few things without difficulty so far, I've heard of a few problems specifically with Dr Who though before.
    I'll have to do a BBC1 record tomorrow, see how it goes.

Yeah I deleted it and have set it for bbc 3 :)

I noticed the sat cables were loose on the back of the box - maybe it was them.

Anyway I'll record a couple of things on bbc and give it a shot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Recorded Two Pints... off BBC3 last night and they were fine, good sign. Just need to test different channels at different times I guess, see if I see any of the problems others have experienced.
  • Options
    tobykimtobykim Posts: 645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you try for this offer do you have to have the full sky package as we only have the £19.50 sub, our equipment is really clapped out and I was going to cancel anyway to try and get some sort of a deal regarding a new box but kept putting it off Thanks
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tobykim wrote:
    If you try for this offer do you have to have the full sky package as we only have the £19.50 sub, our equipment is really clapped out and I was going to cancel anyway to try and get some sort of a deal regarding a new box but kept putting it off Thanks

You would need to either pay an extra £10 a month for the sky+ sub or get sky movies (Which means you'd be paying £35ish a month).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I personally reckon given the snip about them scrapping the packages around the 30 pound mark (ie. movies 1,3,5,7,9 + sky sports 1, these sort of things) that they will indeed be offering a better deal on SKY+ equipment. It looks like they are guessing they can recover the loss on the subscription. Lets face it *most* people are going to subscribe to the most basic package they can to get the "free" recording function. That wil end up being around 35 pounds/month instead of the 30 you can currently do it for. This gains Sky approx 60 pounds extra in the first year (enough to pay the subsidy on the equipment) then after that it profit profit profit year on year.

Just my opinion though !!
    Anyone thinking of buying a box just now *might* be better off hanging off til July.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got my install booked :D, a second Sky+ to add to my current one.
  • Options
    tobykimtobykim Posts: 645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No good for me then, my husband just went on his pension so we can't really afford any more in subs, also I get fed up with all the repeats, so I guess I'll just cancel the whole thing. Thanks for your help anyway
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yea SKY+ will cost you £10 extra a month without 2 premium channels. :(
    And looking at the current options soon (maybe even now) you can't upgrade to sky movies 2,4,6,8 with sky sports 1 or 2 or the 1G sky sports world + movies 2,4,6,8 anymore.

But if you like sport it's a great excuse to upgrade your package so you don't miss your favroite tv programs when the sport is on live.

The movie channels won't cut the mustard if you have access to dvd's near release.