Options

Sky prices going up on sept 1st (merged)

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 260
Forum Member
looks like sky packages are going to increase on sept 1st 2005 with most packages going up.

the price increase is gaurenteed on 01/09/2005 but how much they go up is not yet.

It looks like the family package will change to £21.50 and Sky world pacakge will go up to around £43 or £44.

there is better news though as they plan to change the family package at the same time and give you a choice on the channels you want.

Comments

• Options
    Digi ManDigi Man Posts: 18,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If this is true then I am afraid this means for me that the movies will be going. it wouldn't be so bad if there was going to be more football on, but this isn't the case. :mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    yeah definetley going to happen the movies are nothing great anyway, constant repeats, your better signing up for blockbuster online and paying £9.99 or £13.99 and getting a good choice of dvds to rent through the post.
  • Options
    jamesp26jamesp26 Posts: 3,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Source?

To be honest though - its expected. If it is then its definately 100% bye bye SKY. £21.50 for the family pack is unreal!

James
  • Options
    Forum Member
    cant reveal my source completley but its inside info, it will be in the monthly magazine next month informing customers.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 124
    Forum Member
    If correct - Bye Bye Skly for me
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    turbos wrote:
    yeah definetley going to happen the movies are nothing great anyway, constant repeats, your better signing up for blockbuster online and paying £9.99 or £13.99 and getting a good choice of dvds to rent through the post.

But you get the same movies , how can the ones at blockbuster not be c**p and repeated when Sky source the exact same material.

At least you get a wider choice of movies and access to films you might never have bothered to order from Blockbuster because they don't promote older/foreign films as much compared to 'blockbusters'.

If you read the posters words carefully £21.50 is for all the family pack channels , but there may well be an element of being able to chose what channels you want in order to create a lesser bill for the family pack channels you want.
    Of course premium channels will come on top of this still with a nice big price tag. To the poster who moaned about no increase in football you have an extra 22 games for free from Sky Sports , and extra £1 or £2 or like 5p-10p increase for each 1 of these games, hardly breaking the bank compared to buying tickets to see all of these games in person is it. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    stevejk75stevejk75 Posts: 821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If this is true they can stick it.Just resigned up for 3 months half price on the family package.Got a free british lion rugby shirt,dont even like the game.Ive been away from sky for a year,after this 3 months at half price it looks like ill be away for good.Ive been on telewest and freeview together.Think ill just stick to freeview.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    the increase on the family pack will be around £1 - £1.50 but the element of change on the family pack is due to competition with cable and the fact that the churn rate is up on the last quarter with alot of customers cancelling on the family package and either going to cable for the 3 for £30 deal or free view/free sat, the price increase is well timed for the start of the new football season with sky hoping of less of an impact at this time of the year.
  • Options
    monkeymurderermonkeymurderer Posts: 1,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand. The family pack is rising to £21.50 but you are allowed to choose which channels you want? I thought you got all the channels in the family pack?

Or are they creating packages cheaper than the family pack of say 10 channels of your choice?

It is unreal because E4 just announced that they are staying subscription on satellite to please Sky and yet Sky are getting away without paying them any subscription fees - why is this saving not passed on to the consumer or why not let E4 go to Freesat?

It's disgusting.
  • Options
    artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't been with Sky for a few months now, and this price increase certainly wouldn't encourage me to go back.

I would opt for Freeview if anything now. At least you get half decent channels like UKTV History, ABC1 and a coouple of others.

Freeview is looking more and more better as an alternative to Sky Freesat.

£21.50 for the family pack? Jebus, how can they get away with it? :rolleyes:

How much was Family Pack 4 years ago?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    it looks like it will stay the family pack but have more choice within it, a genre style package allowing you to have more choice on the channels you want in it, its always been a sales point from the call centre of that amount of channels included in the package but it seems that sky have taken note of customer coments on the fact that not all the channels on the package are watched or needed.

it will be like 6 different packages within the one family package
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Digi Man wrote:
    If this is true then I am afraid this means for me that the movies will be going. it wouldn't be so bad if there was going to be more football on, but this isn't the case. :mad:

this, imo, is one of the reasons prices have been increased. sky bidded a ridiculous amount for the premiership tv rights and now its customers who end up paying for it all

:mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    andyk22 wrote:
    To the poster who moaned about no increase in football you have an extra 22 games for free from Sky Sports , and extra £1 or £2 or like 5p-10p increase for each 1 of these games, hardly breaking the bank compared to buying tickets to see all of these games in person is it. :rolleyes:
    I didn't know there was going to be extra games this coming season, anyone know which Division their from?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    think its about 88 on normal sky sports and then 50 on prem plus.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, my sky subscription ceased today [thank god!] - its an utter rip-off for what you get. Total waste of money.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    turbos wrote:
    think its about 88 on normal sky sports and then 50 on prem plus.
    Didn't we get this already, last season?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Digi Man wrote:
    I didn't know there was going to be extra games this coming season, anyone know which Division their from?

From the premiership , last year it went up from 66 games to 88 , so if the package goes up a £1 or £2 that is about 5p-10p extra for each extra game out of the 22 extra games (not including the current 66).
    Can you get into a premiership ground for 10p?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Digi Man wrote:
    Didn't we get this already, last season?

they are defintley saying its more than last season
  • Options
    Forum Member
    andyk22 wrote:
    From the premiership , last year it went up from 66 games to 88 , so if the package goes up a £1 or £2 that is about 5p-10p extra for each extra game out of the 22 extra games (not including the current 66).
    Can you get into a premiership ground for 10p?

true, you also have to remember that there hasnt been a major change on sky packages since 2003, that was the last time the family package went up, so thats one increase in 2 years on that package.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    turbos wrote:
    true, you also have to remember that there hasnt been a major change on sky packages since 2003, that was the last time the family package went up, so thats one increase in 2 years on that package.

Less of course, E4, Men & Motors,

So fewer channels and still an increase
  • Options
    Forum Member
    10524delta wrote:
    Less of course, E4, Men & Motors,

So fewer channels and still an increase

but they are changing the style of the family pack so the increase maybe worth it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like I said earlier, I think I will get rid of the movie channels, never really watch them anyway.

Will getting rid of the movie channels effect the price of my two mirror subs?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    unless they include a movie or sports package how can you change - no mention of reductions if you choose less. By adding either movies or sports defeats the objective of a base family pack
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Digi Man wrote:
    Like I said earlier, I think I will get rid of the movie channels, never really watch them anyway.

extra subs mirror the primary card.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Digi Man wrote:

You can have a mirror sub for just the base family pack so I doubt it