Options

WARNING! Doctor Who series link issue - check your planners

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 630
Forum Member
✭✭
A warning to all Doctor Who fans in the BBC1 Wales region who record the show weekly via series link.

Those of you not in Wales, keep an eye on this between now and Saturday in case a similar issue affects your region.

If you have not already done so, check your Sky+ planner. Looked at mine by chance last night and Saturday's show has been deleted due to a balls up by BBC Wales.

They have suddenly renamed the programme in their EPG stream from "Doctor Who" to "Dr Who" and there is no progamme synopsis available. This has overwritten the series link info which means Sky+ doesn't recognise the link and has deleted Saturday's recording.

Checked through the 900's, at the moment all other BBC1 regions are showing the correct EPG info. I've now set the series link up on BBC1 London so I'm hoping there won't be any further problems. (Making the big assumption that the BBC will be less willing to upset Londoners, I may be wrong)

Those of you living in Wales and expecting a recording of Doctor Who to happen this Saturday night via series link - check your planner and record via another region.

You have been warned!!!!!!!!!

Cheers.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    I noticed this as well and also rescheduled it from BBC London. I just hope nothing screws it up tomorrow as I'm away all day and won't be able to check it.

I know it's repeated on BBC3 on sunday but I hate that dog :mad:
  • Options
    Alex OughtonAlex Oughton Posts: 6,739
    Forum Member
    I'm in London, but use BBC Scotland for recording, as my reception is far better for that stream than for BBC London.

Bottom line: I'm unaffected. The series link has survived.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    Mine failed to record last Saturday - reason shown was "schedule change". I had to record the BBC3 repeat.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy Herne wrote:
    I've now set the series link up on BBC1 London so I'm hoping there won't be any further problems. (Making the big assumption that the BBC will be less willing to upset Londoners, I may be wrong).

I don't think they are TRYING to upset anyone. I think they have just made a mistake.

E-mail them and ask?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think they are TRYING to upset anyone. I think they have just made a mistake.

E-mail them and ask?

I have just checked it and it looks like they have set it back again.

All regions are showing as Doctor Who and the BBC 1 Wales has a synopsis again.

Just as well it was noticed tho!!

JC
  • Options
    tv.marktv.mark Posts: 1,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC Wales are not responsible for the supply of the EPG, BBC Broadcast is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have spent most of Friday and Saturday away and have come home to find that I've caused quite a stir, but at least the problem was resoved.

Just checked my box and I've got two copies of last night's Doctor Who recorded, one from BBC1 London and one from BBC1 Wales! Sky+ has obviously re-established the original link which has left me quite impressed with the software.

One tiny problem though. I've now got two recordings in the planner for next week's Doctor Who, again one from Wales and one from London. Have tried to delete the Wales version a few times this morning but after a while it just keeps popping back in to the planner. I suppose at least I'm twice as likely not to miss the final episode next week!

BBC broadcast obviously read these forums.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

E-mail them and ask?

Where did I say that the BBC were TRYING to upset people?

It is obvious that this was an UNINTENTIONAL mistake. I did not say this was intentional.

What I did try to say was that if anyone was "fiddling" with the EPG somewhere, they are probably less likely to do so with the London listings in the first instance. I also said "I may be wrong" and "I'm making a big assumption here".

Please don't even try to make assumptions about my intelligence.
  • Options
    james paynejames payne Posts: 4,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As you can see I am not from the Wales area, however I have been enjoying Doctor Who.

Had this unintentional mistake been made to the BBC1 region where I live, and therefore resulted in my recording failing, or worse not even appearing, then I too would of been annoyed.

This forum is great for debate, mild arguments, technical help/knowledge, Sky+ tips/work arounds etc etc.....

The forum is also good for sharing possible problems/announcements etc etc.......

As I say, the problem didn't arise for myself and the recording was fine, however although it has not already been mentioned, from the amount of views your thread has produced, I'm sure there are many of users that were very grateful for your find.

Although it possibly could of only concerned those in Wales, it obviously got many people checking.

Many thanks for your kind concern for others, and posting the thread to help all that wanted to read.

Regards James
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You do know London has the lowest bitrate of all regions? BBC 1 Scotland, Wales are the highest. Same goes for BBC 2 Scotland, NI, 2W.
  • Options
    Ambient SheepAmbient Sheep Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This didn't affect me as I've been taping Doctor Who off of BBC1 London in order to avoid BBC Wales' "Drama Made In Wales" puffery taking the first couple of seconds off the episode; however now I've read the thing about bitrates perhaps I'll change to BBC Scotland for the last one! Thanks for that info.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    James Payne

Many thanks for your very kind comments. Glad the warning was noticed and I hope nobody had any problems as the good people at the BBC did manage to fix it in time and the Sky+ software was certainly on the ball.

However, it does tick me off sometimes when the minority try to be picky and make an issue of the smallest of details when all I am trying to do is help. I find this behaiviour a bit frustrating (as you can see).

BUT I was very surprised to make the front page of Digital Spy. I'm pleased it gave people the opportunity to at least check that everything was okay. It would have been terrible if I hadn't mentioned it and there been a lot of people with failed recordings posting here today (had the worst case scenario happened).

Ric1231

I didn't know that London had the lowest bitrate! That's very interesting, thanks for sharing that. I'll certainly remember to go for BBC1 Scotland as the first "standby" option next time.

Cheers both!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy Herne wrote:
    Where did I say that the BBC were TRYING to upset people?

It is obvious that this was an UNINTENTIONAL mistake. I did not say this was intentional.

What I did try to say was that if anyone was "fiddling" with the EPG somewhere, they are probably less likely to do so with the London listings in the first instance. I also said "I may be wrong" and "I'm making a big assumption here".

Please don't even try to make assumptions about my intelligence.

Why do you think I'm making assumptions about your intelect? I was simply saying that you made it sound like you thought it would _never_ happen in London.
  • Options
    cjgperscjgpers Posts: 1,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy Herne wrote:
    One tiny problem though. I've now got two recordings in the planner for next week's Doctor Who, again one from Wales and one from London. Have tried to delete the Wales version a few times this morning but after a while it just keeps popping back in to the planner.
    Try cancelling the series link (green button) BEFORE deleting the planner entry. General rule whenever cancelling series links, cancel the link before deleting the planner entry.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why do you think I'm making assumptions about your intelect? I was simply saying that you made it sound like you thought it would _never_ happen in London.

Jeez!

I brought up my intellect because you felt you needed to tell me that no-one is TRYING to upset anyone as this was obviously a mistake. Do you really think I sat at home thinking "they've done this on purpose to annoy people in Wales, they'd NEVER try to annoy people in London, blah, blah, blah…"??? I really am not that stupid, I assure you!!

Please read my posts again carefully if you really want to continue to make an issue over such a pedant point. I did not think nor say that this "would never happen in London". I made the assumption that it MAY be LESS likely to affect London and did qualify this by stating that I could be wrong. I made a personal assumption on the day given that London was fine (along with other regions). I made this assumption without qualification or the desire to fully support it with hard fact, basically because it really wasn't that important.

I'll make sure someone proof reads my posts in future so that any ambiguities are removed before publishing for the benefit of the minority.

I'd be grateful if we could now draw a line under this matter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cjgpers wrote:
    Try cancelling the series link (green button) BEFORE deleting the planner entry. General rule whenever cancelling series links, cancel the link before deleting the planner entry.

Good tip! Just tried it and it worked. Never thought of that, cheers!
  • Options
    james paynejames payne Posts: 4,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy Herne wrote:
    Good tip! Just tried it and it worked. Never thought of that, cheers!

And here's a classic example of the benefits of this forum.

Not only did you kindly bring to others attention a possible problem with the EPG with regards to Dr Who, but now cjgpers repays the compliment by passing on a tip that you had never thought of.

This fully endorses my original comment.

Regards James
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Not only did you kindly bring to others attention a possible problem with the EPG with regards to Dr Who, but now cjgpers repays the compliment by passing on a tip that you had never thought of.

Regards James

It's like a great big love-in isn't it? ;-)

I like it when people are friendly and helpful, have picked up some seriously good tips over the years and find 95% of the discussions here informative, useful and sometimes funny. Good place to hang out!

Thanks again James!

A.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy Herne wrote:

I made this assumption without qualification or the desire to fully support it with hard fact, basically because it really wasn't that important.

Well, perhaps thats a lesson learned then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, perhaps thats a lesson learned then.

Whatever...

You're trying hard to patronise and provoke me, but in fact you are boring me now.
  • Options
    Mr.BMr.B Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Regards James
    Andy Herne wrote:
    It's like a great big love-in isn't it? ;-)

I like it when people are friendly and helpful, have picked up some seriously good tips over the years and find 95% of the discussions here informative, useful and sometimes funny. Good place to hang out!

Thanks again James!

A.

nice :cool:

with regards to bit rates- (Ric1231), how do you Know? is it published somewhere? and why would different bbc regions have different bit rates :confused::confused::confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr.B wrote:
    nice :cool:

with regards to bit rates- (Ric1231), how do you Know? is it published somewhere? and why would different bbc regions have different bit rates :confused::confused::confused:

My guess is the number of regions on each transponder. The fewer regions present, the more bits available. I gather there are less channels being broadcast on the transponder(s) containing the Scottish and Welsh regions.

Over to Ric1231 me thinks....

By the way Mr B, how do you get these smiley things working on these forums? My ";-)" looks a bit pathetic now!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr.B wrote:

Well just by comparing percentages of hard drive space you can tell they are different.

On a 40gig drive with 2min padding at the front and back: London & NI are 5% per hour, Scotland & Wales are 7% per hour, all the rest (BBC One West Midlands, North West, East Yorkshire & Lincolnshire, Yorks & North Midlands, East Midlands, East, West England, South East, South England, South West, North East & Cumbria, Oxford) are 6%. I don't know about Cambridge and the Channel Islands, maybe someone could measure them?

London and NI are on tp45 which is horizontal (the rest are vertical. Apart from tp47) so that may not be a strong signal for a few or visa versa. Maybe the techies can explain the difference between BBC's main transponder and their others?

There is only a small difference between the 6% and 7% regions anyway.

BBC 2 England is stat muxed (I think) and carried with LDN and NI. It averages 5% per hour. Scot, NI, 2W are on a seperate transponder with BBC1 Scot, Wales. Fixed bitrates of 7% per hour.
  • Options
    Mr.BMr.B Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andy Herne wrote:
    By the way Mr B, how do you get these smiley things working on these forums? My ";-)" looks a bit pathetic now!

dont really know :(
    it just does it when i click on the relevant icon :)
    i preview post and their there

{ :D:D:D maybe you've upset the wrong people :D:D:D }

[sorry :o , couldn't resist]
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr.B wrote:
    dont really know :(
    it just does it when i click on the relevant icon :)
    i preview post and their there

{ :D:D:D maybe you've upset the wrong people :D:D:D }

[sorry :o , couldn't resist]

Me, upset people????

Surely not!!!

I just appear to annoy people merely by thinking nasty thoughts of regional hatred and bias... GRRR!!!

:D