Options

Clock on Sky Digital box

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
Forum Member
Hi,

In the last week or so I've noticed the the clock on my Sky Box (3 year old Pace) is becoming eratic - this is the clock you see when you press the select button.

Quite often it will seem to get stuck on a particular time, then when you change channels you'll see it jump forward 2 minutes to the correct time.

It's becoming a pain because the items in the planner are delayed as a result.

Has anyone else had this or is the box on its way out ?

Comments

• Options
    ozsatozsat Posts: 5,745
    Forum Member
    The time is set by the data received with the channel you are viewing.

So if you clock is changing - a batch of channels have the wrong time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Right, but if that's the case wouldn't everybody be seeing the same issue ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I am too A289. More noticeable actually ever since the software upgrade.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hmm - it seems particularly bad on BBC News 24. I tend to watch the weather just before the start of the hour and wonder why the clock still reads 55 past the hour when in fact it's 57.

If I flick to BBC1 it normally then jumps to the right time.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This happens to be too - Pace 2600. The time can be 2 minutes behind and then jump forward.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pace Ds430-N, its very annoying. Mine can jump forward or back by as much as 5 minutes. It seems especially bad on channels in the mid-600s or the ITV / BBC channels and music channels. At least it doesn't affect the Personal Planner reminders and AutoView though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It only affects my BBC channels. They are 2 minutes behind so if I am watching News24 and BB is on Autoview for 10pm, the banner pops up at 9.56pm and changes at 9.57pm. It's been handy though this week as BB has been starting a minute or two before 10.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    Happening too on my Pace Sky+ for a few days now!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've e-mailed BBC so await a response.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Same here, I was watching CBBC Channel on Wednesday or Thursday, and I switched to another channel, and the clock changed from 3.29pm to 3.31pm!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I had Sky it used to be a certain block of channels that was way out - usually the god botherer/cheap channels. It used to take a while to correct after going back onto a proper channel
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This seems to have started since my EPG software upgrade, have all of you noticed this or is it a seperate problem?
    I am still waiting (8 days and counting) for a response from Sky to my loss of analogue teletext service, so I emailed back asking for a response to that as well as the clock problem and autoview (un)reliability.
    Any news on this I'll let you know.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bendolino wrote:
    This seems to have started since my EPG software upgrade, have all of you noticed this or is it a seperate problem?
    I am still waiting (8 days and counting) for a response from Sky to my loss of analogue teletext service, so I emailed back asking for a response to that as well as the clock problem and autoview (un)reliability.
    Any news on this I'll let you know.

Well the problem has certainly got a lot worse since the EPG software upgrade. I think this is because there was a change in the way the EPG collects data, and it relies more on each TP rather than keeping a "Synch" from the last time it was tuned to the default. Its a bit offputting when channel hopping (especially through the musak) but its not affecting the service so I wouldn't worry too much about it. As for the teletext problem, this seems to have sorted itself out on my box, as has autoview.
  • Options
    BexTechBexTech Posts: 12,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never noticed it before, until reading this thread so tried it, switched to BBC News 24 and within a few seconds noticed the time jump back 2 minutes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I emailed Sky three weeks ago after quite frankly the most pointless 35 mins ever spent on a telephone (even taking into account BT) trying to put across the fact that loss of teletext wasn't anything to do with me.
    I then emailed them again last week requesting an update - along with problems with the clock disparities between channels, this also appearing to affect Autoview reliability.
    Not a hint of a reply.
    A plaintive appeal to anyone connected with Sky - there is a problem with Panasonic boxes losing text, and a wider problem of the EPG clock. Could SOMEONE please put this forward to the powers that be that there's a problem rather than the technical call centre staff doing a collective ostrich impression (i.e. heads in sand)?
    If anyone else has got a reply regarding any sort of solution to any of these then please let me know because I've missed at least four programmes on video that have failed to record because Autoview didn't change the channel.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky, 99.999% of the time will NEVER admit that there software has issues, issues which sky are well aware of (and also, sky know damn well that most of the customers are aware of the problems too) but sky will never admit to it - after a while (when a new version of software is discreetly loaded onto your box with fixes) it *magically* rights itself.

I have no idea how sky can turn down peoples complaints when hundreds of boxes suddenly start showing up the same problem, and then expecting people to believe their excuses of sky telling us that we need expensive callouts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got this reply from BBC:

Dear Mr Hamilton,

Thanks for contacting us.

I'm sorry to hear you are having problems with the auto-switch facility on
    your Sky box for BBC channels. I have run a number of tests by setting our
    Sky box to switch between various BBC programmes and videoing the output.

All programmes ran to schedule and recorded without problem. It is very
    rare that we have complaints such as yours and if your problem is a regular
    occurrence there may be other factors that are causing the fault. You have
    probably already tried a reboot (unplugging the box from the mains for 10
    minutes to clear system glitches) but another option is to leave the
    digibox on (as opposed to in standby) when you want to record in your
    absence. This means the box will switch the desired channel and remain
    there until a further switch command is received.

I hope this helps and would like to thank you once again for your interest
    in our services

Yours sincerely

Reception Advice
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you watch Challenge it usually says the time is for example 3:00pm, but if you change to another channel, it jumps to 2:58 and sometimes 3:02. Somethings wrong somewhere!

Paddy :D
  • Options
    MexicanoMexicano Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    cifpower wrote:
    Got this reply from BBC:

Dear Mr Hamilton,

Thanks for contacting us.

I'm sorry to hear you are having problems with the auto-switch facility on
    your Sky box for BBC channels. I have run a number of tests by setting our
    Sky box to switch between various BBC programmes and videoing the output.

All programmes ran to schedule and recorded without problem. It is very
    rare that we have complaints such as yours and if your problem is a regular
    occurrence there may be other factors that are causing the fault. You have
    probably already tried a reboot (unplugging the box from the mains for 10
    minutes to clear system glitches) but another option is to leave the
    digibox on (as opposed to in standby) when you want to record in your
    absence. This means the box will switch the desired channel and remain
    there until a further switch command is received.

I hope this helps and would like to thank you once again for your interest
    in our services

Yours sincerely

Reception Advice

I phoned Sky yesteday and I went through explaining to the guy that all my BBC and ITV channels are 2 minutes behind the proper time and all the guy told me was that the problem is with the terrestial channels and not Sky!!!
    All he suggested was that I try rebooting and if that didn't work to either wait a few days to see if it fixes itself or I should call the BBC.
    Just going round in circles :mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    Just read this post and tried it a receiver and you are quite correct in that the time on the BBC channels is 2 minutes slow.

The time is set wrong in the TDT (Time and Date Table). Apparently this is data transmitted within the Service Information to synchronise a receiver's local clock. Hopefully this will be corrected very soon . . .

Incidently, BBC1 Scotland (941) has been found to be 50 seconds fast!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 353
    Forum Member
    I emailed reception@bbc.co.uk on Wednesday and they've still not replied, normally you get a reply same day so hopefully their looking in to it as more people are making a fuss about it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have another sat box on top of my Sky+ unit which has a big ol' segment display clock on the front. I've always found my Sky one to change just after the 19.2 one which is set by Astra I beleive.
  • Options
    tv.marktv.mark Posts: 1,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's being investigated at the moment.
  • Options
    MexicanoMexicano Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    tv.mark wrote:
    It's being investigated at the moment.

Who is investigating? The BBC or SKY?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 353
    Forum Member
    It appears that BBC are looking in to this, just had this reply,

Thank you for your email regarding the incorrect time on the BBC Banner.

We are aware of this issue and hope to implement a solution sometime next
    week. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

I hope this information will be of some use.

Yours sincerely

BBC Reception Advice