Options

Hdtv

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,170
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Artsworld is to offered in HDTV to the UK in the Autumn - no mention of price yet mind you...

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    Hmm, Looks like things are moving..

Discovery HD Theatre
    http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/tvlicensing/cs/1094.htm

Sky Sports HD
    http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/tvlicensing/cs/1114.htm
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm getting 404s from those links?
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sanderton wrote:
    I'm getting 404s from those links?
    Works okay for me
  • Options
    amstereofanamstereofan Posts: 1,765
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm did'nt expect separate channels so quickly as this, can we expect BBC HD and ITV HD soon ?!
  • Options
    SpearmanSpearman Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    As I said in Broadcasting, this is hardly news (and DS have made it out to be), as we've known for over a month.

And getting a licence in itself isn't news, even if it has just happened - Ofcom are hardly going to say no.
  • Options
    daniel99daniel99 Posts: 12,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Those links work fine for me!
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they are going to start broadcasting it from the autumn, noone will be watching it as the Sky HD boxs wont be out until 2006. Will this be a case of "BBC Choice" - broadcasting a channel that noone can access?!

Paddy :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Paddy C wrote:
    If they are going to start broadcasting it from the autumn, noone will be watching it as the Sky HD boxs wont be out until 2006.

No, it won't. Mark my words - Autumn of this year.
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't get your post, what part are you saying "No, it won't" to? Artsworld HD this year or Sky's HD in 2006?

• Options
    Forum Member
    Paddy C wrote:
    I don't get your post, what part are you saying "No, it won't" to? Artsworld HD this year or Sky's HD in 2006?

Oh, sorry! :o

Nah, Sky's HD service won't launch in 2006 - I'm pretty sure it'll launch by the end of this year (2005). :)

Various reasons for and against that idea, but I think it'll happen. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spearman wrote:
    Oh, sorry! :o

Nah, Sky's HD service won't launch in 2006 - I'm pretty sure it'll launch by the end of this year (2005). :)

Various reasons for and against that idea, but I think it'll happen. :)

Soft launch in some cases , a major retailer (currys) took out large adverts in todays major nationals promoting HD ready (the official HD ready sticker) TV's gearing up for Skys launch giving Sky a good promotion , surprised they didn't include the fact X-Box 360 takes advantage of the technolgoy as will the PS3 with HD games and blu-ray discs.
  • Options
    camajcamaj Posts: 817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    andyk22 wrote:
    surprised they didn't include the fact Xbox 360 takes advantage of the technology as will the PS3 with HD games and Blu-ray discs.

I don't think enough people know what Blu-ray is for them to put it in the ad. Those who do don't need to be reminded. The others might be a good idea.

Anyway, this is great news. Yet more evidence for a september launch :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fantastic news about Discovery Theatre HD, they show some excellent stuff with the truely awe inspiring Alien Planet being a prime example.

Just hope it's part of a bundled package, could be pricey if it's only standalone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd probably pay for it standalone. I never watch the discovery channel but I could see myself watching a lot more if it were in HD. Also I get the feeling that Discovery US is a lot better than Discovery UK
  • Options
    Apollo11Apollo11 Posts: 404
    Forum Member
    camaj wrote:
    I'd probably pay for it standalone. I never watch the discovery channel but I could see myself watching a lot more if it were in HD. Also I get the feeling that Discovery US is a lot better than Discovery UK

Check it out for yourself.

http://www.discovery.com
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky is planning to have the initial HDTV service ready for a pre Christmas splash to move both the new boxes and new HD TVs.

Expect the PR build up to begin at the end of August.

The BBC are also planning a launch and I would be very surprised if that didn't come before Christmas too to allow Sky users to access it- after all, they have the back catalogue sitting ready right now.

The only thing which could mess it all up is a shortage of boxes...
  • Options
    Radio RuderhamRadio Ruderham Posts: 13,776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now it is all making sense,
    Comet (here in Edinburgh) have a plethora of HiDef and HiDef ready sets in stock, on the shelves.
    Sagem, Hitachi and Pioneer. I was in there yesterday and boy did I get the hard sell.
    Very nice they are too and in some cases Cheaper than plasma panel sets.
    If you are thinking of buying one, go for the LCD set, they last longer and are more reliable.:)
  • Options
    amstereofanamstereofan Posts: 1,765
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jim Rae wrote:
    Sky is planning to have the initial HDTV service ready for a pre Christmas splash to move both the new boxes and new HD TVs.

Expect the PR build up to begin at the end of August.

The BBC are also planning a launch and I would be very surprised if that didn't come before Christmas too to allow Sky users to access it- after all, they have the back catalogue sitting ready right now.

The only thing which could mess it all up is a shortage of boxes...

BBC ? How do you know this ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere. I am thinking about getting Sky+ in the near future, will there be some add on hardware so that existing boxes will receive HD or will I have to get a completly new box. If the latter will Sky be doing free/low cost upgrades for existing users or should I wait until the new boxes arrive.
  • Options
    digibeardigibear Posts: 383
    Forum Member
    our local panansonic shop has a demo on at the moment
    the picture is amazing
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steveg2112 wrote:
    Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere. I am thinking about getting Sky+ in the near future, will there be some add on hardware so that existing boxes will receive HD or will I have to get a completly new box. If the latter will Sky be doing free/low cost upgrades for existing users or should I wait until the new boxes arrive.

No , wait for the new Sky+HD box , it's HD will be big enough to store a good amount of HD and SD content.
  • Options
    Bill SBill S Posts: 124
    Forum Member
    andyk22 wrote:
    No , wait for the new Sky+HD box , it's HD will be big enough to store a good amount of HD and SD content.

Andy, How big a HDisk do you think will be needed? It is relatively easy to fit a 250Gb disk into existing boxes but will that be enough? and will existing boxes allow recording of HD? (data rate must be higher!)

The 160 included USB connections - could this be to allow extra HDisk modules?

Bill
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bill S wrote:
    Andy, How big a HDisk do you think will be needed? It is relatively easy to fit a 250Gb disk into existing boxes but will that be enough? and will existing boxes allow recording of HD? (data rate must be higher!)

The 160 included USB connections - could this be to allow extra HDisk modules?

Bill

All the channels so far will be broadcasting in MPEG-4. Current Sky+ boxes do not support this decoding format.
    Number of GB for such a Sky+HD box have been around the 200GB-500GB region , but still that's a large difference in order to try and work out what the final capacity might be.

As for exsisting boxes the problem is they don't support MPEG-4, the signal is recieved and decoded with the MPEG2 chipset , I've never heard of a work around using a USB port or similar add on to re-route the signal. You would need to look at the finer points of the Sky160 box to see if any feasible work around is provided.
  • Options
    Bill SBill S Posts: 124
    Forum Member
    andyk22 wrote:
    All the channels so far will be broadcasting in MPEG-4. Current Sky+ boxes do not support this decoding format....

...As for exsisting boxes the problem is they don't support MPEG-4, the signal is recieved and decoded with the MPEG2 chipset ....

Thanks Andy!

That seems to be the killer for current Sky+ box sales.

As soon as that is realised by the general public (or publicised by the press) that will almost certainly reduce current sales to such a level that Sky will be forced to bring out the new box very quickly. ;)

Bill
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apollo11 wrote:
    Check it out for yourself.

http://www.discovery.com

I don't need to check it out. What I'm saying is my perception of what Discovery US show is a lot higher than my perception of what Discovery UK show. Going to the US site is only going to tell me what I already know.

Sky will only bring out the new boxes when HD is launched. I guess that they could bring them out early. I wonder if Sky will broadcast SD channels in H.264? That'll save them some bandwidth if they make channels HD owners only, it'll also drive more people over to HD