Options

Sky HDTV Website

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 371
Forum Member
Apologies if this has been mentioned before, but by trying random URLs, I've come across the Sky HDTV Website

http://hd.sky.com/

Not sure if anyone's seen this site before?

Just been going through the Sky HD site, and i'd say it's now pretty much official that Sky HD will support HDTV over analogue component connections as well as HDMI (with HDCP). It's all there in black & white (well purple) under "What do i need?" and then "Is your TV HD Ready?"

I don't think the website is acutally live yet, as I can find no reference to it on Sky.com. I've registered my details anyway, so that I can order an HD box as soon as they're out..

I've had my HDTV Plasma (with analogue component connectors) for 2 years now. I've been using my Windows MediaCenter PC for showing high-def photos, and playing high def Windows Media videos now for some time. Oh and playing Doom3 and other games in high-def!! Can't wait till 2006 for Sky HD!!

Also noticed that all Sky HD boxes wil have Sky+ features!! Some people, like myself, I guess have the SKy+ features enabled as I already have Sky+ and subscribe to a premium channel.

Other users who upgrade, may have to pay £10 for Sky+, and £? for the HD sub as well. If a standard digibox user upgrades to Sky HD, and they already sub to a premium channel, then I guess they'll get Sky+ features enabled automatically?

Glenn

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nice work mate, good find
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is almost as much fun as waiting for the official announcment of SKY D back in 1998, ringing up and then getting the silver envelope and then after applying finally getting an install date:)

I had expected to use my LCD for around 18months before SKY got their act together but it does look like a "soft" '05 launch is on the cards so I can stop downloading 20gig HD files and watch actual broadcast HD movies:)
  • Options
    JDnmJDnm Posts: 1,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're not getting any money out of me for a slightly better picture.

First we had digital - barely noticeable improvement in picture quality and sound - 'a TV revolution'.

Then they roll out Sky+ and TIVO, designed for me to put my hands in my pockets again.

Now this.

I expect something else will come along in a couple of years time that is supposed to be the definitive hardware in home cinema.

Im not spending £££'s to watch Cornonation Street in a slightly better definition.
  • Options
    Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    Every Premiership match to be broadcasted in HD from 2006. Nice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    JDnm wrote:
    Im not spending £££'s to watch Cornonation Street in a slightly better definition.

Have you actually seen HDTV in action? I've been watching it via my PC for a while now, and I can honestly say that the picture is a marked improvement!!

Remember that the current Sky SD picture is 576 lines interlaced so on screen you only get 288 lines at a time. Odds followed by Evens, slightly offset, so given you the 576i..

Sky HD is 720p, or 1080i. I've been used to watching 720p, on my 768 res plasma, and OK, so an extra 144 lines doesn't sound like a lot, but the progressive scan makes a whole world of difference to the picture sharpness!!

Glenn
  • Options
    cjgperscjgpers Posts: 1,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All you need to do is make sure that your TV supports either 720p/50 or 1080i/25
    The use of the word "either" would suggest that the HD-Sky+ box will be able to scale 720p broadcasts to 1080i, and visa versa.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JDnm wrote:
    They're not getting any money out of me for a slightly better picture.

I suggest you wait either go down to a store like Comet/Currys/John Lewis that has a HD demo or if they don't have one yet go when they do.

You can't judge HD without seeing it and I can guarentee when you see it you won't say it's only slightly better.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    One thing to note, which I mentioned before, is that Sky are saying that all HD boxes will have Sky+ features, but will only be enabled if you have a Sky+ sub.

Currently you get Sky+ either by paying £10 a month more, or having subscribed to a premium channel

This means that anyone upgrading from a standard digibox i.e. non-Sky+, who subscribes to a premium channel, will get Sky+ HD for free!! and let's face it most people subscribe to at least one premium channel!!

Glenn
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great News!

Good work Glenn.

I've never really seen HD so can't compare it directly to SD.

Where can I download a video of something LEGAL in HD and SD that will show me the difference?

To be honest, I suspect it will be out before Christmas...it would be marketing suicide if they didn't do that!

Roll on '06

gaffer
  • Options
    Forum Member
    the_gaffer wrote:
    Great News!
    Where can I download a video of something LEGAL in HD and SD that will show me the difference?

gaffer

Hi Gaffer

You can download or stream clips from Microsofts WMV HD site http://www.wmvhd.com/. If you want something in both SD and HD to compare, then best search around on google?

You'll need at least a 3Ghz PC to play them.. You may get away with 2.6Ghz for a 720p video.

I used my Media Centre connected to my highdef plasma. All I can say is there is a marked difference between SD and HD. HD just looks so much more crispers, detailed, sharper, and more likelike.

Glenn
  • Options
    Mr.BMr.B Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    remember when sky digital came out, £200 for the box

when sky+ came out, £200 for the box AND £10 a month for the privilage, regardless of what package you where on

so dont expect murdoch to "reward" his loyal customers :(
  • Options
    rjmachinrjmachin Posts: 2,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I certainly dont expect it to be cheap. Im saving as much now ready to pay between £300-500 for the box. I am also saving now for the High Definition Television. At the moment i have a portable 14inch CRT tv, but will be looking for 30inch plus.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Can't wait till they get the new box launched... My current Sky+ box can then go upstairs :-)

I'm sure the HD sub will cost £10 or £15, can't be much more than that. As it is, I'm paying £35 for the channel package, and £10 for multi-room. With an HD sub of £10 / £15, that will put my total sub up to £55 - £60 per month just for TV :-( (I'm sure the advertisers on Sky don't pay enough!!, if they did ours subs would be cheaper!!)

Glenn
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr.B wrote:
    remember when sky digital came out, £200 for the box

when sky+ came out, £200 for the box AND £10 a month for the privilage, regardless of what package you where on

so dont expect murdoch to "reward" his loyal customers :(

I don't expect any reward especially as for any new consumer appliance those who buy first pay the most for the privilege.
    By all means you can wait and take advantage of second or third generation hardware plus the inevitable marketing deals which will be launched when the eager subscribers have been signed up:)

Put aside around £500 for the STB and installation (which is probably a straight swap for an existing SKY+ install) then another £10 a month for the sub.
    Downgrade my NTL to 2meg saving £13 a month since I will no longer need to download HD content to the same degree so for such new technology the price (for me) ain't that bad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just seen that AlanJ has posted up my news about the Sky HDTV site on the main home page...

I'm famous :-) !!! Well I would be, but AlanJ didn't mention my name as a new contributor. Oh well....just glad to be of service..

Glenn
  • Options
    Bill SBill S Posts: 124
    Forum Member
    Link no longer working. Has Sky just pulled the plug - or has the site collapsed under the strain?
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Directory Denied.

Wht did they pull it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Probably pulled it!! The site wasn't supposed to be live yet. I just found it by chance today, by trying some random, obvious URLs..

At least I got to signup..

P.S. Please put the website back Sky...we won't break it..honest!

Glenn
  • Options
    cjgperscjgpers Posts: 1,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry - DELETED
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Probably pulled it!! The site wasn't supposed to be live yet. I just found it by chance today, by trying some random, obvious URLs..

At least I got to signup..

P.S. Please put the website back Sky...we won't break it..honest!

Glenn

Did you try : http://www1.sky.com/hd/
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They pulled it because the site isn't ready for public consumption yet and they knew we were looking at it because they read these forums :)

When I spoke to the head of HD marketing it had already been pulled and when it goes live it will be at www.sky.com/hd until then here is an image of the front page :)

Sky HD Web Site Preview - image
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ALanJ wrote:
    They pulled it because the site isn't ready for public consumption yet and they knew we were looking at it because they read these forums :)

When I spoke to the head of HD marketing it had already been pulled and when it goes live it will be at www.sky.com/hd until then here is an image of the front page :)

images.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/library/sky-hd.jpg

And probably from the number of registrations they already received...
    or is this your "soft launch" Alan?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bill S wrote:

Yeah, tried that 2 months ago, and posted up here on it.. It's been under construction for ages

Glenn
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the link Glenn,

Sadly my 2Ghz Laptop isn't fast enough :mad:

Nowhere else I can see a clip to compare?

What will we be looking at for a box and a 1080i tv (30+inch)? Is 1080i the way to go?

What I'm praying for is that Sky won't find a crafty gimmick to stop us expats making the most of HD like "you'll need it connected to phone line to make the most of HD" or something like that.
    Can they do such a thing?

gaffer