Options

TTV: The Great Big British Quiz

monkeymurderermonkeymurderer Posts: 1,337
Forum Member
✭✭✭
What the hell is this?

3 numbers up on the screen, you have to add them up and call in and give the answer.

Everyone so far has given the wrong answer. I don't understand how... It's clearly 459.

Should this be investigated by Ofcom?

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh I see it changes...
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never mind the quiz,they should get rid of that bloody dog in the bottom left hand corner! And i'm not talking about the channel logo either!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont understand what this is about, if there are people waiting on the line then why is this guy blabbing on, this is obvioulsy some sort of joke.

These people who are answering are going um, ah three? When the numbers are right in front of them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now i'm not a stupid person, but curiousity for the better of me.

What happens is you call the number, and they say "lets see if we can put you through", you hear a buzz and then some dick goes on the air and says some stupid answer not even close.

It's clearly a scam.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,794
    Forum Member
    Just like every other "quiz" channel then...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok so it's not a quiz its a puzzle.

Basically its not as it looks... or they are just making up the rules as they go along, there are probably many possible answers.

I bet he loves his job, thats a step down from a Cbeebies presenter.
  • Options
    PaperhousePaperhouse Posts: 1,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was watching something the other night and you had to guess the word they were looking for from 5 letters. Several people phoned in and said 'SABER', but were all told that they were wrong. Then when someone else gave the same answer, they were told that they were correct. Con or what?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw they moved onto another game but missed the "miles" answer,anyone see what it was?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    PhilH36 wrote:
    I saw they moved onto another game but missed the "miles" answer,anyone see what it was?

The answer given as correct was 515, anyone know how to get this answer ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If someone would care to remind me of the numbers involved I'll have a go at working it out!
  • Options
    Scalper JackScalper Jack Posts: 4,734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Should this be investigated by Ofcom?

They got told of these things nearly two years ago - Ofcom doesn't give one ****.
  • Options
    MiniEmmaMiniEmma Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    It seems you can enter their quizzes for free on their website, then they ring you if you are successfully randomly picked, then they put you up for random selection again, then they say 'sorry you've not been selected to get through to the presenter'

same odds for getting through as if you ring the premium rate number 'apparently' :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    This looks like another total con job just like Quiz TV.

Yesterday afternoon they were running one of those 'add up the numbers in this paragraph' cons. It was about somebody buying three cars in 1984 and selling two in 1986 and still having one.

It was running at about 3pm when I tuned in and they eventually withdrew it at 10.15pm without anyone having got it correct. It was amazing the number of people who got through and gave the same 'obvious' wrong answer.

But when it finished they said the correct answer was 2836. That was patently total crap since the two dates in the question added up to 3970 and there weren't any negative numbers. In fact if you added in all the numbers you got to over 8,000.

I've sent them an email asking for an explanation of how they got to their answer but don't expect they will tell me. These things are a total con because they can make the answer anything they like.

But I suppose it would be more difficult to con people if they said 'Give us £1. In 19 times out of 20 you'll not be given a chance to win anything - you just lose the £1. The other time we will let you guess at a random number and if you get it right then you'll win £500. But we've not yet chosen the number so you've no chance of getting it right so you'll still lose your £1'.

I think the channel has only been running for a week - yet within the first few days someone has won the jackpot. But very few people each day get a chance to play the jackpot and if they do the chance of getting it right is 1 in 128. So the odds are heavily against anyone winning it. But surprise, surprise someone in Liverpool has. Or could it possibly have been one of their own staff on the phone???

These programs should be banned - they are total cons. Why do the regulators not do anything about them? They are blatently ripping people off.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    PhilH36 wrote:
    If someone would care to remind me of the numbers involved I'll have a go at working it out!

Finally found the piece of paper for this:

Blue Motorway Sign

Birmingham 23 miles
    Manchester 113 miles
    Glasgow 324 miles

Target answer is 515.

Any ideas ?
  • Options
    SteveMcKSteveMcK Posts: 5,458
    Forum Member
    BigD6ft4 wrote:

Blue Motorway Sign

Birmingham 23 miles
    Manchester 113 miles
    Glasgow 324 miles

Target answer is 515.

Any ideas ?

"Don't start from here?"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    BigD6ft4 wrote:

Blue Motorway Sign

Birmingham 23 miles
    Manchester 113 miles
    Glasgow 324 miles

Target answer is 515.

Any ideas ?

Yes.

23 + 113 + 324 = 460
    2 + 3 = 5
    11 + 3 = 14
    32 + 4 = 36

Add them all up and you get 460 + 5 + 14 + 36 = 515.

But it is warped logic - and I know that similar convoluted stupid illogical logic could get me to any answer they chose.

It is simply a SCAM SCAM SCAM. The answer could be anything - they decide it once enough poor mugs have phoned up and wasted their £1's.
  • Options
    DavidTDavidT Posts: 20,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As you say Chris when you have the "correct" answer you can sometimes work it backwards.

Take the 324, you could do 3+2+4 or 3+24 as well as 32+2. None are any more "correct" than the others.

That's the issue, yes there is a type of logic but any genuine quiz answer will only have one real answer and that answer will be one that everyone would understand and accept.

And that of course doesn't even get in to how callers are or are not selected.
  • Options
    Digi DanDigi Dan Posts: 988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see the quiz telly website has launched www.quiztelly.com about time an official place was setup, these channels are booming up at the same speed as we had all those american infomercial channels launch the other year :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    Been watching and so far have seen a few of these "miles" quiz puzzles. The last three I've seen I've had the correct answer to the one given. Haven't tried to call in (not my thing) but it looks like once you figure out how they do it the are sticking to the same logic...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now i'm not a stupid person, but curiousity for the better of me.

What happens is you call the number, and they say "lets see if we can put you through", you hear a buzz and then some dick goes on the air and says some stupid answer not even close.

It's clearly a scam.

I agree. It should be shut down. It's for the vulnerable and the gullible who are probably already in debt, and who are lured by the unfounded promise of winning large amounts of money. And it's presented by unpleasant people who look as though they are on day-release from somewhere.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. It should be shut down. It's for the vulnerable and the gullible who are probably already in debt, and who are lured by the unfounded promise of winning large amounts of money. And it's presented by unpleasant people who look as though they are on day-release from somewhere.

Agree with these comments.

I know several DS members post that anyone stupid enough, naïve, gullible or greedy deserves what they get. I disagree.

If someone is genuinely naïve, gullible or stupid even, then they need protection not criticism. I’ve made this analogy before but will do so again. If those same people found their granny had just been swindled out of £1,000’s of pounds by a cowboy builder who rearranged a couple of roof tiles would they call their granny stupid, gullible etc? There’s no difference in principle its just people believing and trusting people they shouldn’t.

We need to get away from this idea that the callers should blame themselves. The channels do need to be taken to task. We’ve had a long thread on Quiz TV on the Programs board. It does seem they are doing nothing illegal, but as was pointed out there, most entrants think they are entering a quiz of sorts when they are really entering a lottery and one that appears not to give equal chance to each entrant. It can’t be coincidence that so many of these sorts of channels have sprung up – easy money?

I’m sure they all know what they are doing from a legal perspective even if the viewers are being misled.

Concerns:

a) Calls are not randomly selected. Some quizzes are so easy its not possible to believe anyone can get them wrong yet they last for hours.
    b) Multiple possible “correct” answers to each question. No proper explanation or rules are given.
    c) No-one getting on despite the presenter stating they are waiting for calls.
    d) Suspicions over how many “real” winners there are?
    e) Many posters never getting through but strangely the same names get through time after time on the channels, How?
    f) Apparent lack of any regulation as no official body seems interested.
    g) Some callers apparently giving the ”wrong” answer whilst later on someone else gives exactly the same answer which suddenly becomes “correct”.
    h) Channels selling themselves as quizzes when they are not.
    i) Quizzes where to answer the question you have to get through on a particular telephone lines no. Despite only being 99 lines it takes hours for someone to get that particular line. How is this random?
  • Options
    DBCDBC Posts: 4,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shouldn't the gaming act (and it's regulators the Gaming Commission) come into play here? I always thought there was tight regulation on the running of any form of gambling. Even a charity , if it wants to sell raffle tickets , must comply with the regulations. Why do these rip-off channels seem to be getting away with flouting the law?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't know other than they perhaps sort of fall in between the different regulators and end up covered by none? I guess you have to be able to define exactly in legal terms what these channels are and what they are doing.
  • Options
    SiGaSiGa Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well Im currently watching it, and they have some dice and you need to count the dots which add up to 52 and someone has called in and given this answer and its wrong apparently.

Dice 1 shows 2,5,6 totalling 13. Dice 2 shows 2,3,4 totalling 9, Dice 3 shows 1,3,5 totalling 9, Dice 4 shows 2,3,5 totalling 10 and Dice 5 shows 2,4,5 totalling 11

Now that adds up to 52 in my book. Ofcom need to look into this channel.
  • Options
    skyisthebestskyisthebest Posts: 4,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe it includes the dots that you cannot see?