Options

Emmerdale's Rodney in health battle

MrWomanMrWoman Posts: 822
Forum Member
✭✭
From The Mirror

EMMERDALE actor Patrick Mower may be forced to take a break from the show after doctors revealed he is suffering from a serious illness.

The determined 66-year-old star - rogue Roger Blackstock in the soap - has told close friends he will fight the condition.

Veteran actor Patrick, who lives in Louth, Lincs, with his second wife Anya, 38, and their six-year-old son Maxim, may have to pull out of filming while he is treated for the illness.

A close associate of the 70s heart-throb said: "Everyone is worried but he is determined to beat this. He will stay with Emmerdale because he loves it - and this will not stop him.

Advertisement

"The scriptwriters are looking at the plots involving him in case he needs to pull out at short notice for treatment." The condition is not cancer but is said to be "serious".

Mower's rugged good looks helped him to become a housewives' favourite with tough-guy roles in series such as Callan, Special Branch and Target.

His father Archie thought he must be gay if he wanted to act and he revealed in an interview with the Daily Mirror that their terrible relationship made him a better dad to his own young son. He travels 88 miles from his home to the Emmerdale set in Leeds and back again every day to spend time with his family.

Patrick admitted: "Maxim and Anya are my life."

Anya is 28 years his junior - but he said: "I keep fit with exercise, swimming, golf and tennis so I don't see age as a problem."

Mower also has two children from a previous marriage - Simon, 41 and Claudia, 37.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrWoman wrote:
    From The Mirror

EMMERDALE actor Patrick Mower may be forced to take a break from the show after doctors revealed he is suffering from a serious illness.

The determined 66-year-old star - rogue Roger Blackstock in the soap - has told close friends he will fight the condition.

Veteran actor Patrick, who lives in Louth, Lincs, with his second wife Anya, 38, and their six-year-old son Maxim, may have to pull out of filming while he is treated for the illness.

A close associate of the 70s heart-throb said: "Everyone is worried but he is determined to beat this. He will stay with Emmerdale because he loves it - and this will not stop him.

Advertisement

"The scriptwriters are looking at the plots involving him in case he needs to pull out at short notice for treatment." The condition is not cancer but is said to be "serious".

Mower's rugged good looks helped him to become a housewives' favourite with tough-guy roles in series such as Callan, Special Branch and Target.

His father Archie thought he must be gay if he wanted to act and he revealed in an interview with the Daily Mirror that their terrible relationship made him a better dad to his own young son. He travels 88 miles from his home to the Emmerdale set in Leeds and back again every day to spend time with his family.

Patrick admitted: "Maxim and Anya are my life."

Anya is 28 years his junior - but he said: "I keep fit with exercise, swimming, golf and tennis so I don't see age as a problem."

Mower also has two children from a previous marriage - Simon, 41 and Claudia, 37.

that's very sad, i hope he recovers soon. BTW, where did they get "Roger" from?
  • Options
    FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    I do wish people would differentiate between fact and fiction when posting new threads! I assumed it was a new storyline about Rodney being ill!

'Emmerdale's Patrick Mower (Rodney) in health battle'

is what the story actually IS!
  • Options
    MrWomanMrWoman Posts: 822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh I'm so sorry, it obviously took you a great deal of energy to click on the button and see what the real story was.

Maybe a few words of good luck for Mr. Mower would have been more respectable in this thread, Flukie
  • Options
    DavidTDavidT Posts: 20,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to Sky its an eye problem leading to possible blindness.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its very sad :cry: , lets hope the doctors can repair it.
  • Options
    shazspiceshazspice Posts: 224
    Forum Member
    This is so sad I hope the doctors manage to save his eyesight. Patrick Mower is such a great actor.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    I adore Patrick (hence my username) so i was gutted to hear about this. I really hope and pray that everything can be done to save his sight
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mowerette wrote:
    I adore Patrick (hence my username) so i was gutted to hear about this. I really hope and pray that everything can be done to save his sight

PM is in the New of the World today, apparently speaking "exclusively" to them, and has said he hasn't booked himself in for the op yet as there is a big storyline involving him.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Yes i have that to. I'm looking forward to the story as it's about time he had some decent ones. I just hope after that he has the op and it is a success.
  • Options
    DrifterDrifter Posts: 12,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poor guy...I do like him in Emmerdale.

You have to laugh at putting the operation off for a storyline.... "Never mind your sight, you've got a storyline to film". Although I'm sure it wasn't quite like that ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Drifter wrote:
    Poor guy...I do like him in Emmerdale.

You have to laugh at putting the operation off for a storyline.... "Never mind your sight, you've got a storyline to film". Although I'm sure it wasn't quite like that ;)

ha ha. No, he was saying he was using the storyline as more of an excuse than anything because he is too scared to actually book the operation. It sounds horrible, and there is a chance he may go blind anyway as it is a very very delicate operation
  • Options
    SilentWitnessSilentWitness Posts: 9,395
    Forum Member
    Best wishes for a speedy recovery Patrick/Rodney X
  • Options
    DrifterDrifter Posts: 12,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    barkingmad wrote:
    ha ha. No, he was saying he was using the storyline as more of an excuse than anything because he is too scared to actually book the operation. It sounds horrible, and there is a chance he may go blind anyway as it is a very very delicate operation

Yeah, I just this second read the interview. That was really sad and he apparently was close to tears when he said that was the real reason :(

Didn't realize he had such a young child, too!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Drifter wrote:
    Yeah, I just this second read the interview. That was really sad and he apparently was close to tears when he said that was the real reason :(

Didn't realize he had such a young child, too!

Poor Patrick. Well, lets hope the op is a success and he can live life to the full. Life is cruel and unfair