Options

Five Sky One failures in a row! Huh!?!?!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 243
Forum Member
Evenin' all.

Just got home from work to find that all five episodes of the Simpsons this evening have failed to record, all with "Unknown Reason".

It's happened occasionally before, but never the whole batch. The series link triggered each new show, but all failed anyway.

It is currently recording a show I programmed in five minutes before it started, and did a Planner Rebuild inbetween.

Any thoughts/ideas? Time to threaten the box with an axe?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky one was running one hour ahead of time today at some point. When I looked at 2pm, it said 3pm on it. Maybe this caused your grief.
  • Options
    hardeephardeep Posts: 2,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had 4 South Park failures in a row from last night - series links seemed to have worked fine as well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hardeep wrote:
    I had 4 South Park failures in a row from last night - series links seemed to have worked fine as well.

Yes, my one did the same :(

Also series link for UK Gold's Doctor Who (chn109) for todays adventure gone :(

Automan.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WE have a series link for a programme called "Karen dunbar" on a friday BBC1, works fine all the time except after last episode. Now my planner says "The kummars".

Also, I set it up yesterday to record "Space Jam" on one of the movie channels and when I went to watch it I had something about a wee boy and a Bear, even though it said Space jam in my planner.

The Sky platform seems seriously ill at the moment. I'm getting worried that I'll miss the double header of "24" so might just watch them live.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    Interestingly I've had at least 3 failures over the past 2 days. From what I can remember, 2 of these were on Sky 1, and 1 on BBC1 on Friday night "Kumars at Number 42". I noticed 2 of them used up the disk space anyway, since when I deleted the FAILED recordings the free space went up, but I don't think the Kumars used any disk space. I've done a planner rebuild twice but it doesn't seem to have helped. :mad:

WW.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    hardeep wrote:

Got that too, so that's 9 failures.

Got to be something at Sky's end then, but the clock is correct on Sky One now, does anyone know if it went funny last night?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This morning I tried 2 experiments:

1) 2 back to recordings on Five with Sky+ in standby (two 5 min kids programmes) when I went to buy a newspaper. Recorded OK
    2) 2 back to back programmes on Sky One whilst watching News24 (half hour each.) Record light was on but when I checked afterwards both were failures.

I'm now going to repeat 2) on Five to see if the problem is repeated.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Set the box to record the 9.30am Oliver Beene, and the red light has come on, so I'll keep an eye, won't touch the box at all, like the last 9 fails...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All 4 epsiodes of Southpark recorded fine from the series link last night (1am to 2.40am). So I don't think it could have been a broadcast issue.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jarrak wrote:
    All 4 epsiodes of Southpark recorded fine from the series link last night (1am to 2.40am). So I don't think it could have been a broadcast issue.

Well it's certainly odd that it has happened to other people here, what could be the link?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jasonh3597 wrote:
    Well it's certainly odd that it has happened to other people here, what could be the link?

Trying to debug SKY+ is one of the last great deeds of the modern age, throughout it's history there have been cases where failures have been reported by some and not others.
    I suppose the SKY+ version and how it handles/stores EPG and now&next data may be an issue, the quality of the installation and it's lock on the default transponder or any transponder if there was a timing issue.

Perhaps the earlier reported problem with the clock (similar to what has happended to the BBC) is the root cause and if that had been a short term problem those that didn't have recordings/series links setup during that time were not affected after the fact.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just spoken to Sky Techinical Support and the guy there actually had the same problem recording Oliver Beene on the hardware he had there.

He was aware of the clock problem yesterday and was personally concerned he won't get 24 recording tonight being the last two episodes.

So it's not us, it is them, and someone actually admitted it.

I guess all we can do is sit it out and see what happens.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Right I repeated 2) - see post #8 - using 2 programmes on Five whilst watching Sky Sports. No problems with both recording fine. (I'm now trying 2 programmes back to back on SkyMix to see if it might be channel provider specific.)

Afterwards I'll try a single programme on Sky One. If it records OK it might suggest that consecutive recordings is a problem on some channels - which I can just about live with.

As Jarrak alludes to I think it may be an EPG/timing issue (I have a V2 box.)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    hardeep wrote:
    Right I repeated 2) - see post #8 - using 2 programmes on Five whilst watching. No problems with both recording fine. (I'm now trying 2 programmes back to back on SkyMix to see if it might be channel provider specific.)

Afterwards I'll try a single programme on Sky One. If it records OK it might suggest that consecutive recordings is a problem on some channels - which I can just about live with.

As Jarrak alludes to I think it may be an EPG/timing issue (I have a V2 box.)

SkyMix should be fine, it's not on transponder 30 where the problem lies.

That's maybe why the guy who lost Space Jam - was it on Sky Movies 7 or 9?

And for any WWE fans out there, channel 770 is on there too, I'd suggest digging out the VCR for Vengeance tonight...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jasonh3597 wrote:
    SkyMix should be fine, it's not on transponder 30 where the problem lies.
    - my highlighting

Were you told that by the Sky Technical guy you spoke to?

If so I'll try recording a movie from 7,9 Cinema 1 or 2 and see what happens. (At least if 24 fails to record I can get it on Mix - and people moan about repeats;) )
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure where Space Jam was. It certainly couldve been 7. It was defintely above movies 5 as I remember flicking by there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    hardeep wrote:
    - my highlighting

Were you told that by the Sky Technical guy you spoke to?

If so I'll try recording a movie from 7,9 Cinema 1 or 2 and see what happens. (At least if 24 fails to record I can get it on Mix - and people moan about repeats;) )

I had already looked it up first on the guide here, but he said it first in our conversation.

As for the WWE show tonight, I'm not recording anything else tonight so I can leave the box on 770 and it will record to a DVD, if not to the box.

I'm not going to continue testing it, I've set a few recordings through the day, will leave it alone and see what happens.

If the Sky guy is right there is nothing we can do about it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well the Sky Mix recording were fine as you suggested they would be.

I'm now trying a single programme on Sky One to see what happens. After that I'll try recording something using manual recording to see if it's linked to EPG data.

Incidently there is a thread on the Satellite Forum reporting that Sky One was FTA for a while this morning - perhaps there is a link?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just as an experiment I setup back to back recordings on SKY1 (Relic Hunter and WWE) with Europsort being viewed, both recorded fine.

So if there is an ongoing problem with the SKY1 transponder then it's not affecting every SKY+ and if the SKY CS guy can't record a SKY1 program then you have to consider that there is a lot more going on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The 1pm Star Trek on Sky One has just recorded ok.

Got a few more set up, so I'll report back when they are done.
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now here's an interesting one. I've not had any failures for over six months now since I last did option 8 housekeeping. I've been following Magics' Mystery Voices,I set up manual recordings of five minutes duration from the top of the hour to five past for each hour from 7am to 3pm. If someone actually managed to win it whilst I was at work then at least I'd get to hear what the correct answer was. Anyway Wednesday last week the 7am to noon recordings were all fine but the 1,2 and 3pm ones had all failed unknown reason.
  • Options
    LaggyLaggy Posts: 3,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had problems with Stingray (don't laguh!) on Sky One Saturday & Sunday (7:30am) both failed as well as the Enterprise repeat on Saturday too which also failed for an unknown reason.. all other channels are recording fine.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 186
    Forum Member
    I had the four failed southpark episodes last night too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 73
    Forum Member
    I think the boxes are just being picky about the rubbish your trying to get it to record. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    Laggy wrote:
    Had problems with [...] Enterprise repeat on Saturday too which also failed for an unknown reason.. all other channels are recording fine.
    Same as me - my recording of this failed - which was annoying, since the Monday one failed too (My box had completely locked up on Monday when I got back from work - switched it on and just got the blue screen - nothing else worked. Had to power it off to recover it). I'm now hoping the repeat on Sky Mix that has just started will be recorded ok.

WW.