Am I stupid? Great Big British Quiz

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 98
Forum Member
Okey...I just got sky the other day and ofcourse I have to watch every channel to see what it is a about.

I'm currently watchin the "Great Big British Quiz". Not because I going to phone in but I'm desperate to see how they hell they make the quizes?

Have a look at this:

http://img271.echo.cx/my.php?image=bigquiz8wh.jpg

In case you can't see the numbers properly they are:

(6) - Which is the windspeed
21 Degrees in scotland
25 Degrees in Ireland
27 Degrees in the Midlands
26 Degrees in the South

Easy I though...It's 99...but no its not!! What else can it be.
Okey...so maybe the 6 is a degree as well? That's 105 isnt it? No...not the correct answer. Or could the answer be in a different type of degree. I.e kelvin, fahrenheit, rankine or reamur???? And the chap on telly is saying "It is really so easy, just add the degrees". This reaks of scam to me.

So far this quiz has been on for about 1 1/2 hour and there are NO correct answers. I am actually flicking between E4 and this by the way, not watching the whole thing.

This seems to me like a HUUUUGE scam where the answer is impossible to find. It is probably some extreamly illogical solution or the answer is just made up.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    definatley not stupid i get the same as well scam indeed....
  • russellellyrussellelly Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    These are scams. And for the record the Kelvin is not a degree, it's just, say 34 kelvin not 24 degrees kelvin. Could it be 720 (2 x 360 since there's 2 islands - or 360 x the total islands on screen, which there will be many).
  • IncandiscoIncandisco Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    Ok, it's now 2 hours since this thread started, and the same question is still on air... How do they justify questions like this? At £1 per phone call, they are absolutely raking it in...

I'm almost tempted to sky+ the rest of it, just so I can see what the answer actually is!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    It is now just gone midnight and the same question is still on. That means the same scam has now been on for about five hours.

I guess what will happen (like last night) is that they'll terminate it without a winner and show some ludicrous number as being the answer without any explanation. Then they'll fold the prize money into a new simple question [like rearrange these letters into a phrase describing this program 'totla scma'] and one of their staff will be on the line to win it.

It can't possibly be right that they can pose questions like this (a) without having to publish the rules for calculating the answers and (b) without having to publish how they reach whatever answer they come up with.
    Forum Member
    Not only that, but have you had a look at their website?

www.thegreatbigbritishquiz.co.uk

I'm recording the show from here on in, and I'll post up the answer as soon as I see it!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 98
    Forum Member
    Still going strong this question.....

Rule number 22 (according to their website):
    22# In the event of any dispute regarding the Quiz, including the operation of the telephone system or the validity of a Quiz solution, the decision of PTW TV Ltd shall be final and binding and no correspondence or discussion shall be entered into.

That says it all it think...
    Forum Member
    Could the answer be 108?

All the temperatures add up to 99, the windspeed is 6 so 105 - then add the degrees (could it be the group THE THREE DEGRESS) - giving 108?

Just a tired theory from a tired theorist.

Stinks of a scam - I wanna read the rules!
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Those people who are silly enough to go along with these stupid waste-of-space programmes deserve all they get. I am of the belief that when there is a winner it is someone who works for the programme. "Oh, we have a winner, well done, Clive from Bognor Regis you have won £4000" --- Now Clive could be just anyone, couldn't he, a camera man a tea boy, or even the producer :).

It is the same with those envelopes that come with the Sky Magazine, Wow a Gold Winner, password "Ladybird" -- is it the top prize? --- I don't think it can be, as I know 4 other people who have got the same password.
    Forum Member
    Now that's strange - I can't get onto the website at all - just to half a title page.... Can someone post the rules here please? Or PM them to me? Either way, I want to read them!
    Forum Member
    Here ya go...copied from www.thegreatbigbritishquiz.co.uk
    Terms and Conditions

1. The Great Big British Quiz ("Quiz") is organised by or on behalf of Play To Win TV Limited of Communications House, Station House, Station Road, Great Shelford, Cambridge CB2 5LR (“PTW TV Ltd”). All correspondence about the Quiz should be sent to that address.
    2. Entrants to the Quiz have a chance of winning an opportunity to solve the Quiz live on the Great British Quiz Channel (“the Channel”) live on air. If an Entrant is selected to solve the Quiz live on air and his or her answer is correct, then the Entrant will win the Prize in accordance with the procedures set out in these Terms and Conditions.
    3. By entering the Quiz you agree to be bound by these terms and conditions (the “Terms and Conditions”). Further instructions may be given on entry to the Quiz via the website or via the Premium Rate Telephone Number. These further instructions are deemed to form part of the Terms and Conditions.

Methods of Entry

4. Entry to the Quiz is by way of the Premium Rate Telephone Number displayed on-screen. The cost of entry via the Premium Rate Telephone Number will be displayed on screen. Call costs are based on using BT’s network. The costs of entry using other network operators and from mobile phones and public phone boxes may vary.
    5. Alternatively you can enter via the web at www.thegreatbigbritishquiz.co.uk.
    6. If you enter via the Premium Rate Telephone Number and you are not the person paying the phone bill, you must ask the permission of the person who does pay the phone bill before entering. Once the Premium Rate Telephone Number has been dialled and the line connected, the person paying the phone bill will be charged. PTW TV Limited will not be liable to reimburse expenses incurred on making an entry or calling the Premium Rate Telephone Number.

Entry Procedures

7. Entry to the Quiz is limited to 200 entries per household per day. PTW TV Limited reserves the right to exclude anyone from participation in the Quiz on a given day who is found to have entered more than 200 times whether by the website or by the Premium Rate Telephone Number.
    8. Entries can be accepted between the start and end of each Quiz.

Premium Rate Telephone Entry

9. On calling the Premium Rate Telephone Number you will pass through a random selection mechanism. A recorded message will notify you if you have been selected and won the chance to attempt to solve the Quiz live on air. If you have not been selected to go through to the next round of selection, you will be notified by a recorded message.
    10. If you have been selected, you will either:
    1. be put on hold to be put straight through to the programme whilst the Quiz you have entered remains on air, or
    2. you will be asked to leave your name, email address and a landline contact number (including area code) so that you may be called back within the time the Quiz you have entered remains on air and put through to the programme. If you receive a call back and are successfully put through to the studio live on air, you will be asked to answer the quiz question.

Web Entry

11. To enter via email you will need to submit your name, email address and landline telephone number (including area code). Mobile phone numbers will not be accepted. Your email will then be forward to PTW TV Ltd. You will have the same chance of being selected if you enter by email as if you had entered by the Premium Rate Telephone Line and you may be called back if your email entry has been successful. All entrants will receive a message to indicate whether or not they have been successful. If you are called back, you will be put through to the studio live on air and you will be asked to answer the quiz question.

General

12. Entry is only possible during the hours of broadcast, currently 9am to 1am.
    13. The Quiz is only open to all UK and Republic of Ireland residents aged 16 years or older and by entering the Quiz you warrant that you are 16 years or older.
    14. If you are not available to take up the prize, PTW TV Ltd reserves the right to award the prize to an alternative winner in which case the first winner chosen will not be eligible for any share of the prize whatsoever.
    15. If the winner of a prize cannot be traced after reasonable efforts to do so by PTW TV Limited, then PTW TV Limited may dispose of the prize as its thinks fit without any liability to the winner for having done so.
    16. Prizes will be awarded in the form of a cheque and these will be sent out within 30 days from the date of the quiz in which the winner participated. Prizes are not transferable.
    17. PTW TV Ltd may withdraw or cancel the Quiz for any reason and at any time and may change the prize to a prize of similar value. PTW TV Ltd is under no obligation to offer refunds, but may do so at its sole discretion.
    18. If the operation of a Quiz (including the operation of the telephone system), broadcast or live transmission of the Quiz is affected by circumstances beyond the reasonable control of PTW TV Limited and/or the Broadcaster, PTW TV Limited may cancel all or any part of a Quiz and Entrants shall have no claim whatsoever upon it.
    19. If a telephone call to a contestant is interrupted, disturbed or in any way affected by any circumstances beyond the reasonable control of PTW TV Limited, PTW TV Limited reserves the right to randomly select another Contestant. If the telephone call is again interrupted, disturbed or in any way affected by any circumstances beyond the control of PTW TV Limited, the process described in this paragraph shall be repeated until a winning contestant is found.
    20. PTW TV Ltd, its group companies, shareholders and sub-contractors do not accept any responsibility whatsoever for any technical failure or malfunction or any other problem in any telephone network or line, system, server, provider or otherwise which may result in any message being lost or not properly recorded. PTW TV Ltd is also not responsible for traffic congestion or other capacity issues which may result in a message not being able to get through or a message not being recorded. To the fullest extent permitted by law, PTW TV Ltd hereby excludes all warranties, representations, covenants and liability (whether express or implied) regarding the Competition or the prize. Nothing however shall exclude PTW TV Ltd’s liability for death or personal injury as a result of its negligence.
    21. Any personal data collected will be used solely in accordance with current UK data protection legislation. It will be kept secure and treated as confidential. Any disclosures of information will only be made with your permission. By entering the Quiz you are consenting to the use of your personal data for the purposes of operating, producing and administrating the Quiz.
    22. In the event of any dispute regarding the Quiz, including the operation of the telephone system or the validity of a Quiz solution, the decision of PTW TV Ltd shall be final and binding and no correspondence or discussion shall be entered into.
    23. PTW TV Ltd reserves the right to stop the Quiz and to amend these terms and conditions at any time without prior notice. Any changes will be posted on this website.
    24. Employees and agents of PTW TV Ltd, enteraction tv ltd and the Transact Group of companies, their families, members of their households, and anyone connected with the Quiz may not enter the Quiz and are not entitled to win the prize.
    25. You acknowledge that if you win the Quiz your name will be published by PTW TV Limited on its website and other media. You agree to co-operate with PTW TV Limited to publicise your win as PTW TV Limited deems appropriate.
    26. PTW TV Ltd may disqualify you from winning the prize or may recover the prize from you if it has reasonable grounds to suspect you may be in breach of these terms and conditions and/or your participation in the Quiz may be fraudulent or otherwise unlawful.
    27. You agree to abide by the Terms and Conditions shall be governed by English law.
    28. A copy of the Terms and Conditions may be obtained by sending a SAE to PTW TV Limited at Communications House, Station House, Station Road, Great Shelford, Cambridge CB2 5LR.
    Forum Member
    God, I must be tired - thanks for that - I was leaving the word "big" out of the web address! Cheers for that!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't the answer FOUR? Four degrees shown on screen.
    Forum Member
    I've been watching big brother and now I'm off to bed.

Guess what....the same question is still there........i'm dying to know the real answer though but I don't have sky plus and I can't be bothered to find a DVD just to record it....

night..
    Forum Member
    I just managed to get a go! It's free if you enter from the website. I can now tell you that 108 is the wrong answer though!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nobbynolan wrote:
    Isn't the answer FOUR? Four degrees shown on screen.

Someone just rang in with 'Four' and thats not right....

Can't believe I'm watching this crap!
    Forum Member
    I'm doing paperwork, but I'm keeping it on in the background - I need to know the answer! There's no way I can leave it without knowing...

My newest theory is... 6 + the number the arrow is pointing to - I think it's the 26, so therefore 32.....

We'll see!
    Forum Member
    The answer was 482 degrees. So how did they get that then?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    482 was the answer....

Any clues as to how? :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    Yes I know how they got to 482.

It was a number chosen totally at random from all the numbers that the punters had not tried already.

I wonder how much they scammed off the public in 7 hours of trying to guess a number they had no hope of guessing.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even if you converted it to Fahrenheit it is 306.2.

anybody mind if I write a letter to Ofcom about this?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chris C wrote:
    Yes I know how they got to 482.

It was a number chosen totally at random from all the numbers that the punters had not tried already.

I wonder how much they scammed off the public in 7 hours of trying to guess a number they had no hope of guessing.

This can't be right.... I agree its a scam as the answer to these type of quizzes probably relies on you using dubious lateral thinking, but if it truely was a random number and therefore the answer and the quiz not related then I think this channel will be heading quickly towards the fate of AuctionWorld and alike!

Someone will work it out I'm sure...
    :confused:
  • DavidTDavidT Posts: 20,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The rules say you are limited to a maximum of 200 entries per day! £200, please tell me there aren't people out there who spend this sort of money?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    I didn't see the degrees one, but I saw a different one with the Queen of Hearts playing card, asking 'How many Hearts' I watched for a little while and could only see 4 hearts, plus the word Hearts in the question, there was no winner, and I don't think they even gave an answer. The next one was a Railway Station sign with 'Welcome to ....' and the top half of what was obviously Leeds. Question was What City? I watched for about 10mins and they took no calls. So my question is, do they have to explain how they got the answer? And can they just sit there for 10-15 mins and not put anyone on air to answer? This is surely a scam, and I can't understand how they are allowed to operate...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For the degrees I bet they add in the degree angle the arrow is pointing at. South east would be 135 degrees, but still cant see how they get to over 400......

I want to start one of these channels up. I shall call it "Fools Gold" and the first game will be "Finish the famous saying"

"A fool and his money...." :D
  • philipianjonesphilipianjones Posts: 167
    Forum Member
    They don`t tell you how they get the answer, because they like to use similar puzzles later on in the month etc!

Phil
This discussion has been closed.