Options

CNN reporting Luther Vandross has died

Daffodil67Daffodil67 Posts: 1,742
Forum Member
✭✭✭
:( Im lost for words, he was my idol in the 80s#

ETA _ Im looking for a link , I got this story elsewhere.

Comments

• Options
    markmc2k5markmc2k5 Posts: 3,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sad news the man was a legend. Here is a link
  • Options
    Daffodil67Daffodil67 Posts: 1,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8436258/

Tragic, he was only 54 :(
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just heard on NBC Nightly News
  • Options
    ShowbizGosQueenShowbizGosQueen Posts: 7,469
    Forum Member
    Funny, I was thinking about him the other day.....thinking I wonder how he's doing after his stroke :(

Sad news :(
  • Options
    iain_smithiain_smith Posts: 1,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i too heard the news on NBC..a very sad day..i am crying as i type..RIP Luther
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am about to blub too :(

Fond memories of my teens and Give Me A Reason.....

RIP Luther you will be missed
  • Options
    bom-jiggybom-jiggy Posts: 15,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    May his soul rest in perfect peace. Amen

He'll be sadly missed
  • Options
    Richie_lecturer1977Richie_lecturer1977 Posts: 3,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very sad news. I grew up listening to his songs in the 80s. Absolutely timeless they were.

I knew he was ill and parallised from his stroke 2-3 years ago. This however is such a devastating loss to music.

RIP Luther. :(

EDIT: Invicta FM in Kent, upon hearing of the news, are playing a few of Luther's classics (Dance With My Father / So Amazing / Never Too Much / Give Me A Reason) on the Party Invicta show. Very subtle. Well done guys.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everybody look up a Luther song called 'There's nothing better than Love'
    It's duet with Gregory Hines, he sadly died of cancer not too long ago.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    girlie wrote:
    Everybody look up a Luther song called 'There's nothing better than Love'
    It's duet with Gregory Hines, he sadly died of cancer not too long ago.

Good song when you think of Luther.
  • Options
    Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    oh crap, what can i say?, this was abit of a shock, wasnt expecting to read this, R.I.P Luther, u were a living legend in the R&B industry, and will be missed very much.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm gutted. I've been a big fan of Luther for nigh on 20 years, I have every album and was devastated when I heard of his stroke a couple of years ago. His father died of complications with diabetes, Luther also had the condition but didn't address it until it was too late.

His career never really was a huge as it was in the US - which is a shame becuase that meant that we hardly got to see him perform live in this country - and believe me he put on one of the best shows you'd ever see.

Every year it seemed that he was nominated for a Grammy, but until Dance With My Father (released after his stroke) he never won one. I am glad he finally acheived that ambition before his passing.

He was a perfectionist, a unique voice, a prolific songwriter, one of the most talented arrangers and producers and a talent the world can never have enough of. Above all, he was a devoted son to his mother and a devoted friend to many.

God bless you, Roni. May you rest in peace. There's a bright star in heaven tonight.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sad news, he always put on a good show when he was over here.

RIP Luther.
  • Options
    dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very sad, another superstar going before their time. He leaves behind a legacy of some great songs.

I turned on Sky News just after midnight and was really shocked. I knew he was ill but without a progress report I really hadn't thought about him.

My parents are really into their soul, so through that I've developed a love of soul over the year and Luther is a part of that. In particular I know that "Dance With My Father" sums up a lot of the feelings and frustration my Mum feels about my Grandad who himself had a stroke a few years ago.

RIP Luther - thanks for the music.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Luther Vandross was a very endearing and talented man. His sweet soul music gave countless people an enormous amount of pleasure.

May he rest in peace.
  • Options
    sidekick67sidekick67 Posts: 824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A true legend, and for many the voice of soul music. Very sad news. The song which is going through my head as I write this is "Dance With My Father", possibly one of the most poignant songs of all time, made even more so now.

Once again, Heaven becomes a richer place while we become poorer. Thoughts and prayers are with Luther's family and friends.

S.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    Yeah, much the same sentiments here.
    Very much the soundtrack of my life - can 'member when I first heard 'Never Too Late'.
    I think we'll all miss him.
  • Options
    WCLWCL Posts: 316
    Forum Member
    Saw this on Sky News... very shocking! Really loved his guys talent and soulful voice! Really going to miss him!
  • Options
    Simon1984Simon1984 Posts: 5,792
    Forum Member
    An R&B Legend who will never be forgotten, R.I.P. Luther Vandross.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolute legend who'll be greatly missed. Went to see him 3 times in the 80's and every time it was a great night.
    His music was the soundtrack to many a night out to us.

RIP big guy.
  • Options
    newsonthehournewsonthehour Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seen this on FOX news channel