dual dvd recorder DVRw1 help

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 174
Forum Member
I recentley purchased A Dual DVD recorder DVRW1 from my local asda. It appears to work fine. I have no problem recording terrestrial channels 1-5. the problem is I cant get my freeview box to record on to dvd. I have a digifusion box. I have set up the dvd recorder correctly and when I record from the video source 'SCART IN' I only get sound and no picture. I have tested all leads and even tried a new dvdr machine but it does the same. please could someone help with this problem as its driving me nuts. :confused:

Comments

• Weeping DreamsWeeping Dreams Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you completely 100 per cent sure that it's not the scart lead. A loosely connected scart is very often the problem when there is sound but no picture. Try holding both ends of the scart tightly in place and wiggle them about a bit(for want of a more technical term) and see if the picture flickers on and off.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,528
    Forum Member
    Is it possible your Digifusion box is set to output RGB while the DVRW1 scart input only accepts CVBS ?

As well as recording from the Freeview box if you just set the DVDR to the "SCART in" channel you should see it on the telly as the "current channel" - does that much work?

Cliff
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 174
    Forum Member
    The problem is still the same with the dual dvdr. I had a look to see if the digifusion freeview box was set to RGB, but couldnt find anything in the service on screen menu. According to the recorder manual it accepts RGB in the scart in.
    Once again I have tested scart leads and still no picture only sound.
    I think if i cant get it working in the nxt couple of days I'm going to return it. Can anyone recomend a good decent budget price dvd recorder.
    Thanx for any assistance
    :)
    Forum Member
    Try taking the DVDR out of the picture all together and just plug the SCART from the box direct to the TV. This'll identify where the signal is being lost.

Cliff
    Forum Member
    each item on there own work fine. when i connect them thats when there seems to be a problem. When i turn my freeview box on it does overide the dvd recorder. (it always has done that even with my old vhs. which still recorded pic & sound fine) I just cant seem to figure out.
    Forum Member
    Ah, that might be the problem if the DVDR sees a WSS signal on SCART pin 8 it may be operating loop-thru rather than accepting the signal as a viewable/recordable input. If you have an old, cheap SCART lead you don't mind butchering then try removing pin 8 and see if the problem is solved.

Cliff
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try plugging your VCR into the DVDR instead of the Freeview box. This will tell you if the DVDR can manage a CVBS signal - the VCR will be composite out.

If this works, your problem is as described by Cliff in that the DVDR isnt coping with RGB correctly.

Have you set up the input scart to receive RGB?

Rgds,
    Scorp
    Forum Member
    Thanx guys for your help. at last i've got it working. I found a setting on the onscreen menu that changed the video input to scart CVBS and that seems to have solved the problem. (manual has no mention of this) :):)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I presume this means that you have the input setting now set to composite to comply with the setting of your input device. This was what why post would have proved.

However, if you now have this setting on CVBS and it's working with your STB then the STB must be set to composite on output. You will only be recording in composite quality.

If you can, I would check how to change both the STB and DVDR to be RGB (or even Svideo as a 2nd choice) as this will improve the quality of your recordings especially as you move to the extended time settings where quality may tail off.

Also, check that the output scart is set to RGB so that your playing of DVDs (bought and recorded by you) is using RGB. It is likely that you will need to connect to the TV AV1 socket as not all scarts support this.

Well done anyway on getting it off the ground.

Rgds,
    Scorp
    Forum Member
    when I set the DVDR to Scart RGB and set the video source to Scart in, it only records sound from the set-top-box. The machine works fine when set to Scart CVBS and the video source is still set to scart in. i do not set the video source on the DVDR to composite, as when i tried that i get no signal. I presume the DVDR sould really be set to Scart RGB but it just doesnt work. I pretty sure I have all cables connected in the correct way(although I'm no expert) Any more help and advice on this matter would be apreicated. :) thanx VP
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    when I set the DVDR to Scart RGB and set the video source to Scart in, it only records sound from the set-top-box. :) thanx VP
    Does this mean the setting for input? Remember, there will also be an output setting which should be RGB too.
    The machine works fine when set to Scart CVBS and the video source is still set to scart in. i do not set the video source on the DVDR to composite, as when i tried that i get no signal.
    Isn't setting it to CVBS the same as Composite - I dont see how you can have 2 different settings.
    I presume the DVDR sould really be set to Scart RGB but it just doesnt work. I pretty sure I have all cables connected in the correct way(although I'm no expert) Any more help and advice on this matter would be apreicated. :) thanx VP
    It would be useful to carry out 2 tests:
    Play a prerecorded DVD connected to TV AV1 and check that you get the RGB indication on the TV - this is to ensure the output setting is RGB and that your problems are not in the playback process.

Also, plug the STB directly into TV AV1 and check for the RGB indication on the TV - this is to check that the STB is really outputting RGB. It may be doing composite which is why the recorder will only capture sound when set to RGB on input.

Rgds,
    Scorp
  • KDHKDH Posts: 1,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Similar thread covering some of the same topics at

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=222470
  • nvingonvingo Posts: 8,619
    Forum Member
    Some Scart to Scart cables are not "fully wired" that is they're not wired for RGB. Rare these days as they're now a cheap commodity, but a few years ago when they were expensive, and most leads were used to connect a composite output VCR, it saved a few useful pennies.
    They still carried the switching signal on pin 8 as this is used by VCRs during playback to "grab" the TVs AV in.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53
    Forum Member
    Thanx guys for your help. at last i've got it working. I found a setting on the onscreen menu that changed the video input to scart CVBS and that seems to have solved the problem. (manual has no mention of this) :):)

Page 31 first mentions the SCART options in the Preferences section. This is simply a screen shot showing AV-2 set to SCART CVBS.

Then on page 33 when discussing recording options and the setup of AV-2. This lists the 3 modes it can be in, DECODER, SCART CVBS or SCART RGB.

The manual is not the most intuative, sort of a typical budget translation booklet, lots of information just have to work out how to get to it.

Andy
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought the Dual DVD recorder this week at around £90, and after a great deal of fiddling around with SCARTS, I'm delighted to say that the results are truly excellent.

Both DVD Rs and DVD RWs are virtually the same as live broadcasts from a Freeview box.

(Well at least up to two hour settings.)

Haven't tried VCR recordings yet, but the basic machine is first class.

Keep persevering with the settings - you'll get there eventually.

It's a brilliant piece of kit for the money...
    Forum Member
    Yeah I seem to have ironed out all the problems that i was having with the Dual DVDR.

This is my first DVDR recorder and I have found it quite good. I'm sure there are a lot of better machines onm the market, But for under £100 its a great replacement for my aging VHS. Picture quality is fine. I have recorded on LP(3hours) and have had no problems. sound is fine and picture is as good as the freeview source i recorded from. I have also recorded from VHS results were fine. I think this is a good budget machine and a good entry point for people looking to buy there first DVD recorder. Only one negative point is the Remote is rubbish,cheap and doesn't responde to well!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53
    Forum Member
    Price just been rolled back to £89.94 as well.

Andy
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Have you had any problems playing back DVR + RW's on other players? I can't get the 'Make Compatible' option up on the Disc edit menu
  • PilchardPilchard Posts: 447
    Forum Member
    Have you had any problems playing back DVR + RW's on other players? I can't get the 'Make Compatible' option up on the Disc edit menu
    The +RW's recorded on my Dual play fine on other players (got a few mates at work to test them on their own players and no problems)

The "Make Compatible" option is only for any edits you may have carried out after recording like changing titles or hiding chapters etc.
    Try editing a recording and you should then see the "Make Compatible" option become available - hopefully. It's not like finalizing, because +RW's don't need finalizing anyway.