Options

Madagascar

NoiseboyNoiseboy Posts: 2,599
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Any thoughts? Will kick off with the obvious observation that the monkeys and the especially the penguins rule. In fact, one penguin moment has to be the funniest thing I've seen all year, and worth the ticket price alone.

Not a fantastic movie otherwise - and not up with Pixar's best - but fun nevertheless. Now let's give those penguins their own spin-off film. Full on pengiun SWAT action.... COME ON!!!!

Comments

• Options
    MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    I was going to go to a preview screening over the weekend but I didnt bother in the end as I am not that bothered to see it. I am really expecting this film to be very average and I hope it isnt as bad as Sharks Tale!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Penguins do rule, apart from that the film was alright IMO
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Julian the LEMUR steals the show with his rendition of I LIKE TO MOVE IT!!!!
  • Options
    MrWomanMrWoman Posts: 822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What? Another movie that uses Hollywood stars and not specially trained and much underrated voice actors
  • Options
    Psycho_KittyPsycho_Kitty Posts: 1,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aw,just average reviews? I'm dissapointed now,it looked really good too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw this last week, and have to say I wasn't overly impressed. It was funny in places, but the whole story seemed a bit pointless. A long build up to....er.....nothing really.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watched it with my daughter a couple of weeks ago but missed a fair chunk due to a lengthy phone call but it seemed ok.

She enjoyed it, though obviously not as much as Shrek 1 and 2. Especially Shrek 2........
  • Options
    NoiseboyNoiseboy Posts: 2,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well, I enjoyed it more than War of the Worlds, and way more than Mr and Mrs Smith (odd comparisons though they may be). It was definitely superior kids fare overall, and a good smattering of grown up jokes. And those penguins... they provided the biggest belly laugh of my cinematic year so far by a mile.

The film is sometimes not more than OK, but I forgive it lots for those penguin moments of joy that give it instant cult status...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    Saw it yesterday. Managed to swallow my chewing gum laughing after about 10 minutes.

There's not really a plot as such. I guess there's more of one for kids though as it's all about being good friends and stuff. Made me laugh though. Tears coming down my cheeks as Melman comes out of the toilet in the tube station.

It kind of wanes at the end though and the ending is just weak. No great Shrek dance sequence or anything. Without giving the plot away it goes a bit like this...

ANIMAL1: Do you like this?
    ANIMAL 2: It's OK. But I only like it if you do.
    ANIMAL 3: OK friend.
    ---THE END---

The big thing it goes for though is the new effects that the animators have used. If you're into that kind of thing: flashy fire, water, hair and other effects then you'll like this film a lot.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    watched it last night, i dont think it was as good as i thought it was going to be. the characters voices are funny tho.

i dont think it is anywhere near as good as Shrek 1 or 2 , Finding Nemo or Monsters Inc. gosh im such a kid watching all these. lol
  • Options
    weedledeedleweedledeedle Posts: 8,669
    Forum Member
    took my sons and a friend for Weedle1's birthday on Friday.......

fell :sleep: :sleep:

sorry - but it just didn't cut the mustard for me, I am afraid :(

I hated Shark Tale (just a bigging up for Will Smith IMO :rolleyes: ) and Madagascar was just a bit above that.

Nothing will ever beat Shrek, Toy Story 1&2, Ice Age (looking forward to the sequel :D:D ) or Monsters Inc - they were original ideas and could not be bettered :D

I also loved Valiant - the pigeon film ;) - that made me laugh OUT LOUD!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was funny to start with and gradually got less funny as it went on.. Still, I liked it. A bit too short, but alot of films concentrated on 3D animation are.

If you want a laugh, and a bit of fun, go and watch it!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im gonna see it on Wednesday.
  • Options
    welsh_studwelsh_stud Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its an OK movie-expected better as it gives off very few laughs and the movie just seems to drag along in which you finding yourself looking at your watch every few minutes :(

but the scenes that i found amusing were VERY funny ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the main problem with dreamworks 3D movies is that they show too much in the trailers. A large portion of the jokes have already been shown on the countless advertising for it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 136
    Forum Member
    I thought it was ok, amusing in places "Don't insult the freaks" "Goodbye freaks"

Im a much bigger fan of the Pixar films, especially Nemo and Monsters Inc (hoping they make a new deal with Disney now Disney has a new CEO coming up).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 435
    Forum Member

Took the words right outta my mouth!! ;)

I wanted to see Madagascar ever since I saw the first advert for it because it looked so funny. I defiantly didn't expect the average reviews and me and my friend deciding to go to Pizza Hut rather than see this film that I'd been raving about for 6 months. I still haven't managed to see it and I think it's going the same way as Finding Nemo for me- get it out from Blockbusters, either give it straight back again unimpressed or be surprised and buy it (like what happened with FN).