LiveCast UK

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 51
Forum Member
Hi

After months of preparation and after finally making ground with MCPS/PRS Alliance, and PPL, the UK's first internet radio licensing and hosting programme is about to launch.

LiveCast UK (http://www.live-cast.co.uk) launches on August 1st 2005.

Comments

• satman5000satman5000 Posts: 1,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems interesting!

Although the site does not appear to be finished yet.
  • Richard JohnRichard John Posts: 968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could you please explain the packages in more detail? '8 20 windows media streams' isn't the most descriptive of descriptions - is '20' bitrate or capacity?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    My apologies, I just noticed that the listings were infact not complete. Just to list the packages here for your information;

Standard
    Full Royalty Coverage
    20 Concurrent 96kbps WMA streams
    Per Month

Standard Plus
    Full Royalty Coverage
    50 Concurrent 96kbps WMA streams
    Per Month

Gold
    Full Royalty Coverage
    100 Concurrent 96kbps WMA streams
    Per Month

Cheers
  • Kev_AkasKev_Akas Posts: 920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So its like a streaming service, that people pay you to broadacst legitimately?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So its like a streaming service, that people pay you to broadacst legitimately?

I take it is like Live365 but a UK version that can be used in this country.
  • djgeezadjgeeza Posts: 1,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought this sort of thing was never going to launch in the UK, what with the increasing complicated rules and over-expensive charges being placed on UK net broadcasters, so this does come as a surprise.
    I'd be interested to know who is behind this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok, thanks for clearing that up, this looks really great, I'm thinking about getting a few friends together and start a station, the news network programs availible also sound great!
    Forum Member
    satman5000 wrote:
    I take it is like Live365 but a UK version that can be used in this country.

Exactly right.

In regards to the over-complicated and expensive rules placed by MCPS and PPL, there have been lenghty and in-depth discussions to resolve the issue, and we have reached an agreement and understanding with both.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Obviously it's great that there will be a legal way for online radio stations to broadcast and good luck to them. However, not wanting to be negative, but please could stations not use a platform-specific format such as WMA in future?
    Forum Member
    With the costs involved in setting up the service, it wouldn't be commercially viable for us in the early stages to offer different streaming platforms, although we do plan to offer a streaming MP3 option shortly after the launch date.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Livecast, what rules are you putting upon the broadcaster of the radio station.

Do they have to log every song they play, and then send this data to you

Are they allowed to have adverts on their station and if so does any revenue earnt have to go back to Livecast

Is there any material that cannot be played on the station

What Bit rate are the streams, 24kbps, 48?

Also will there be upgrade options in the future to add a few morpe streams as required instead of having to upgrade packages. Cause at the moment the only difference in packages is the streams, there dont seem to be any more benefits.
    Forum Member
    Satman5000;

As you can probably guess, there inevitably are tight rules and regulations, many of which are not imposed by ourselves, but by MCPS/PRS and PPL. All broadcasts would need to agree to our terms of service, and the MCPS/PRS and PPL terms of license.

We have negotiated into our reporting requirements that broadcasters will only have to send us a sample copy of their playlist averaging how many times a track has been played, one day a week.

Restrictions on earnings from streams are governed by MCPS/PRS and PPL. I believe you can earn upto around £6,000 before you would need to acquire a JOL license, seperate from LiveCast.

LiveCast has adopted the OFCOM Code of Conduct for broadcasts, and it clearly states what material can or can not be played, and when.

The bitrates are very high, 96kbps.

We can arrange custom packages, and or arrange future upgrades and 'bolt-ons for more streams, you just need to contact sales@live-cast.co.uk
  • LesterForbesLesterForbes Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "broadcasters will for the first time, be able to posess the rights to broadcast licensed material" - LiveCast website

is this system fundamentally flawed?, if a unlicensed and illigal brodcaster buys shows from LiveCast and by broadcasting this content would that mean that then the broadcaster does not need to pay for the various licences?

am i right in saying that only LiveCast is fully licensed and not the other broadcasters relaying thier material?.

im speaking about thier "Chart show"

if my thinking is correct then will the other stations relaying the websites shows still be obliged to pay the various licenseing fee's ?
  • vinnielovinnielo Posts: 8,342
    Forum Member
    It's free to listen, isn't it?
  • djgeezadjgeeza Posts: 1,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got the impression it was a 'pay to broadcast' system, not pay to listen...?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lester, I believe when you pay for the package and that covers your licensing. The shows such as the chart show are optional extras to be used with Lvecast only
    Forum Member
    Your assumptions are correct, the extras, like the LT40 and the Saturday Goal Zone, are for subscribers only. That way we can confirm the license situation.

Also, it will be free to listen without advertising.
  • vinnielovinnielo Posts: 8,342
    Forum Member
    "broadcasters will for the first time, be able to posess the rights to broadcast licensed material" - LiveCast website

is this system fundamentally flawed?, if a unlicensed and illigal brodcaster buys shows from LiveCast and by broadcasting this content would that mean that then the broadcaster does not need to pay for the various licences?

am i right in saying that only LiveCast is fully licensed and not the other broadcasters relaying thier material?.

im speaking about thier "Chart show"

if my thinking is correct then will the other stations relaying the websites shows still be obliged to pay the various licenseing fee's ?

Oof, that was a rather rushed cover up of your rather embarrassing original message, Lester! ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    who me ? :p;)
  • RodneyRodney Posts: 4,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do Livecast plan on offering a storage system for programmes so that they can be played out remotely (like Live365) or is it only for relaying a live stream from your PC?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    why dont you contact the website Operators Directly.
    Forum Member
    Hi Rodney,

Unfortunately, storing files on our servers would incur a dubbing fee, which would greatly increase the price of our licenses. We don't envisage that it will be something we would look to introduce at all in the near future.

We have however, secured the ability to offer MP3 streaming as well as our main WMA packages, contact us for details.

Thanks
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonder what software will be used for the audio capture and then having it passed onto the livecast servers
  • RodneyRodney Posts: 4,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Livecast wrote:
    Hi Rodney,

Unfortunately, storing files on our servers would incur a dubbing fee, which would greatly increase the price of our licenses.

Is this not included in the MCPS part of the license as thats what they deal with? I imagine that your deal covers station operators ripping music on their PCs for broadcast over your server, otherwise a lot of operators could find themselves in hot water later on.
    Forum Member
    You are correct that storing the files locally is not a problem, but we do not, and don't envisage in the future, using on-demand uploads of files as a service. It would become much more complicated and expensive if we were to dub sound-recordings to our, what is effectively, public server.