Options

cwcom.net email service

When I originally subscribed to my cable services had a 56k dial up connection with Cable and Wireless and was given a cwcom.net domain email address. Subsequently, when C&W became ntl I upgraded to cable broadband and was given 10 ntlworld.com domain addresses but continued to use the cwcom.net address since everybody knew that as my address and it was still there and active. I've continued to use it problem free for another 3 years even tho C&W/ntl seem to have given the cwcom.net servers to BoltBlue. However now, I can send mail but when I try to receive I get a dialogue box saying "The TCP/IP connection was unexpectedly terminated by the server. (Account: 'smtp.cwcom.net', POP3 Server: 'mail.cwcom.net', Error number: 0x800ccc0f.)"
As far as I know I've got the correct smtp and POP3 server names and port numbers but if there's anybody out there having the same problem or able to help I'd be grateful for any advice. Cheers. :D

Comments

• Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try setting the incoming server to pop3.boltblue.com, I've seen someone else using that POP3 server for cwcom.net
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    Tried that to little avail but thanx anyway :D

It asks for the username and password for the pop3.boltblue.com server, I enter the one I know for the original cwcom.net server but the dialogue box just stays when I click ok.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    maybe its time to get a domain ...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Right you probably are my friend. In fact I have one but i've used this address for the past 5 years hence I have contact with alot of folks through this address so I'm gonna at least try to salvage it. But if it's gone it's gone :'(
  • Options
    cheekyanguscheekyangus Posts: 1,149
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still have my computer checking my cwcom.net address and have had no problems.

I just used mail2web.com to access it and it still appears to work....there was spam there waiting for me :rolleyes:

Try mail2web and type in youremailaddress@boltblue.com and your password and it works out the rest (or use the advanced settings if that doesn't work).

Works for me at the moment.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    i too am experiencing this problem,

it worked brilliantly cheekyangus thank you, but why cant i access it from outlook??

really strange.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I said it works for me at home, at least it did last time.

This was using Outlook Express..... maybe there is something with Outlook it doesn't like or a recent security fix for Windows/Outlook has changed some setting that isn't very noticable at a glance. :confused:

I can't think of anything else at the moment...

actually have you got all the up-to-date updates e.g. SP2 etc?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :o ok I've got it working for definite now....

It isn't recognising the old usernames e.g. mm4t00123

what I found when I checked was that Outlook Express was no different so I checked the settings on mail2web & changed the following:

I used the bit before the @ bit in my email address as the username instead of the old mumbojumbo

used pop3.boltblue.com & smtp.boltblue.com as my servers
    (they had been set to pop3.boltblue.net & smtp.boltblue.net)

my password remained the same.

and sending stuff to the cwcom.net addresses still works

hope this solves everything for everyone who needs it :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member

what I found when I checked was that Outlook Express was no different so I checked the settings on mail2web & changed the following:

I used the bit before the @ bit in my email address as the username instead of the old mumbojumbo

top man!!!

works perfectly, thank you most kindly!!
  • Options
    Forum Member

Mail2web worked and this works!

You really are an absolute bloody genius man. i' never have had the gumption to try that. (blush)

If you're ever in my town i'll buy you a pint :D

ps. how do work the $%*&£# smilies around here?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    It doesn't work for me I'm afraid, I'm still getting the same error message having tried changing the server to boltblue.com, boltblue.net and changing the password.

Any ideas anyone, I would be very grateful
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    smark wrote:
    It doesn't work for me I'm afraid, I'm still getting the same error message having tried changing the server to boltblue.com, boltblue.net and changing the password.

Any ideas anyone, I would be very grateful
    just to clarify....

assuming your email address is joebloggs@cwcom.net
    was your username set to "m0053m66" (the original style username)
    or
    was your username "joebloggs"

if it was the second option then I'll have to give the problem further thought, otherwise this should sort it

I changed the username not the password (or was that what you meant???) unless I wasn't clear enought the 1st time :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No, I changed the Account name/user name to "joe bloggs" too and left the password the same, as was suggested.

Thanks for your help
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll have to give it a think then......

Unless....
    I take it you tried the mail2web.com thing?
    Even if you did, if you successfully got in to your mail that way then try the following:

once logged in click the word "customize" and sign up for a free mail2web account (useful for other things in the future and you can add more than one email account)...

...and once you've done that go to "settings" and select the email account you are wanting details about (there may be some other things to do here/bits to set up but it may depend on how long you've been using the service).

This should show you the server details it used to successfully connect to your email.

if on the other hand mail2web didn't work in the first place ...then I'll go back to thinking..... :eek:

I do find that sometimes with computers in general you have change one setting & other times you have to change all the settings...... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Unfortunately I don't have a record of my password to cwcom.net as it's so old. I have it set up on the Outlook Express account but don't know what it is!!

Therefore I haven't been able to sign up to mail2web
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    get that domain in :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:)

Many thanks the 'boltblue' solution worked for me, haven't been able to access my cwcom account for months. Loads of spam waitimg!

:)
  • Options
    m419m419 Posts: 782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When NTL took over CWC, the internet service was operated by Cable and Wireless on behalf of NTL up until 2001. Subsequently, the old CW domain was off loaded to Bolt Blue.

Telewest's Cableinet domain stopped working in 2003 and all mail is now being returned.