Options

Revo in car DAB...opinions?

Tc7Tc7 Posts: 2,116
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Ive just got myself a new Astra and am miffed that it contains a crappy FM radio.

Consequently, Im thinking about forking out £200 plus £50 installation for the Revo in-car DAB.

Anyone got one or have opinions on it.

What is the reception like and how does it work with your current car stereo?

Thanks.

Tc

Comments

• Options
    vinnielovinnielo Posts: 8,362
    Forum Member
    Ddi you not know what you were buying?
  • Options
    SimonjharrissonSimonjharrisson Posts: 1,214
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tc7 wrote:
    Ive just got myself a new Astra and am miffed that it contains a crappy FM radio.

Consequently, Im thinking about forking out £200 plus £50 installation for the Revo in-car DAB.

Anyone got one or have opinions on it.

What is the reception like and how does it work with your current car stereo?

Thanks.

Tc
    Well.... where shall I start.?!

i bought one of these, the reception is iffy using the glass mounted indoor aerial so I would advise against that method. I am in the procees (waiting) for an amplified roof mounted Revo aerial to be fitted, which is adding to the cost considerably.

seriously dont use the aerial they supply that sticks to the inside of the front windscreen... Its useless!!! :mad: :mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thanx for the replies. Yes, I knew I'd have a fm radio but these days isn't it about time DAB were standard installations?!

I'm a bit concerned that the raio/cd player fitted in my new car had no 'aux' button. Does the Revo need this in order to work?

Thanks for the info regarding the aerial Simon.

Tc
  • Options
    jeremybaileyjeremybailey Posts: 417
    Forum Member
    Tc7 wrote:
    thanx for the replies. Yes, I knew I'd have a fm radio but these days isn't it about time DAB were standard installations?!

I'm a bit concerned that the raio/cd player fitted in my new car had no 'aux' button. Does the Revo need this in order to work?

Tc

Hi, got one, am really disapointed with it.... i had to change to the powerd inside the car one... its iffy still.... what and see how Simonjharrisson gets on with the outside powered one...

i might what to upgrade to the outside powered one as well.... dont know if i should spend yet another 70 quid on it however.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tc7 wrote:

Tc
    No you dont need an aux button. You tune the unit to one of the presets on your existing radio. Its a bit like putting Sky on the tv.
  • Options
    vinnielovinnielo Posts: 8,362
    Forum Member
    So it's like an iTrip, in that it broadcasts on the FM band?
  • Options
    SpearmanSpearman Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    Getting a new car ourselves, tomorrow. No doubt, whatever we decide on, it'll have an FM radio.

Now - what do we want to spend? £250 on a Revo, or £9.99 on a cassette adaptor for the Philips DA1000 (we're in a decent signal area)? I think I already know the answer to that one... :D
  • Options
    NicholasNicholas Posts: 98
    Forum Member
    Cars still come with cassette players?

I can't think of the last time I used a tape that wasn't DAT (or sticky)!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spearman wrote:
    Getting a new car ourselves, tomorrow. No doubt, whatever we decide on, it'll have an FM radio.

Now - what do we want to spend? £250 on a Revo, or £9.99 on a cassette adaptor for the Philips DA1000 (we're in a decent signal area)? I think I already know the answer to that one... :D

My car hasnt got a cassette player...cd only so I'm screwed! I got a DA1000 though!!

Simon, how does the modulator work? Does it degrade the DAB sound cos the FM quality is awful on the car stereo. Will I expect a vast improvement in quality?
    Regarding your aerial, has your vehicle got a heated windscreen (ie Mondeo)? Apparently that impedes the DAB signal quality.

Tc
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tc7 wrote:
    My car hasnt got a cassette player...cd only so I'm screwed! I got a DA1000 though!!
    That's a bugger. Let's hope I can use my persuasive skills when it comes to getting a car with a cassette player (I'll be used, not new - I meant 'new to us' :) ). :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well.... where shall I start.?!

i bought one of these, the reception is iffy using the glass mounted indoor aerial so I would advise against that method. I am in the procees (waiting) for an amplified roof mounted Revo aerial to be fitted, which is adding to the cost considerably.

seriously dont use the aerial they supply that sticks to the inside of the front windscreen... Its useless!!! :mad: :mad:

Would the Revo Powered Antenna be better? It still sticks inside but is amplified. Its half the price of a roof mounted aerial at £34-00.

Tc
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tc7 wrote:

Simon, how does the modulator work? Does it degrade the DAB sound cos the FM quality is awful on the car stereo. Will I expect a vast improvement in quality?
    Regarding your aerial, has your vehicle got a heated windscreen (ie Mondeo)? Apparently that impedes the DAB signal quality.

Tc
    Its tuned to the existing radio on 87.7 and the quality is not great. During speech you can hear a slight hiss.

No I have not got a heated windsreeen. If the amplified external aerial does not improve things I will take the Revo out altogether.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its tuned to the existing radio on 87.7 and the quality is not great. During speech you can hear a slight hiss.

No I have not got a heated windsreeen. If the amplified external aerial does not improve things I will take the Revo out altogether.

Is it just because you are in a poor dab reception area or does it just perform badly when compaired to a stand-alone DAB radio?

Tc
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tc7 wrote:
    Is it just because you are in a poor dab reception area or does it just perform badly when compaired to a stand-alone DAB radio?

Tc
    Badly compared to a stand alone DAB radio
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, I ordered mine yesterday, received it today and it's being installed by their pro installers on Friday!

The guy on the phone said they can add one of three boosters to the aerial if neccessary. The boosters have only been out in use for a month.

I'll give you all a road test next weekend.

It's a lot smaller than i thought but I dont have a lot of dashboard room in my Astra so I may have it installed down near the handbreak

Tc
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope you find it all works ok. Getting my external roof mounted amplified aerial put on tomorrow morning - I will report back after thats all been done.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    For £200 you could buy a Blaupunkt DAB set - check www.bluespot.co.uk.

I've got a powered outside aerial on my car and reception is pretty decent here in Bristol. The aerial was only another 80 quid.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    quick question... the aerials from revo... does it have to be one from revo or can it be any type of dab aerial.

i would like a powered glass mount one as the inside glass mounted aerial is rubbish! (however better than the one which comes with revo itself)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    quick question... the aerials from revo... does it have to be one from revo or can it be any type of dab aerial.

i would like a powered glass mount one as the inside glass mounted aerial is rubbish! (however better than the one which comes with revo itself)
    Sorry, I don't know. :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisk208 wrote:
    For £200 you could buy a Blaupunkt DAB set - check www.bluespot.co.uk.

I've got a powered outside aerial on my car and reception is pretty decent here in Bristol. The aerial was only another 80 quid.
    Yes I wish I had gone with this option now... Oh well :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Just had the amplified external DAB aerial fitted and its 10 times better than with the inside one.
    I can now not only get the national stations, but all 3 London local multiplexes as well as local multiplexes from Cambridge, Leicester and Notttingham! A good investment. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    how much was it... and was it the one which replaced the fm/am on your car already.

I am really disappointed with the Ariel on it just now.... bought it for 40 quid as well; wish I got an outside one now.

J
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    how much was it... and was it the one which replaced the fm/am on your car already.

I am really disappointed with the Ariel on it just now.... bought it for 40 quid as well; wish I got an outside one now.

It was £68.00 from REVO. It does not replace the existing aerial, thats still there for FM/AM on the existing car stereo.
    All this being said, I wished I had just replaced the car stereo with an AM/FM/DAB set and had been done with it. It would have cost a lot less, saved a lot of time on my part and been an all in one unit.

If you are sticking with the REVO I would say definately get an outside amplified aerial.

I might eventually replace the existing car stereo with a combined FM/AM/DAB unit, which are about 200 quid, but can't really justify the expense having spent over £400 on the REVO set up. Wish I had done my research more thoroughly beforehand! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The cheapest setup I can find it £250 for a new radio and aerial. Now, this might provide excellent results, but we just don't have that cash. Can't wait for prices to fall!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have been talking to revo about my unit, and revo say i should not be having problems, staff members of the company (based just south of Glasgow) travel the same route as me in the same type of car...

Would like we to send the unit to them.. i personnal think the problem is with the aerial, however we will see.

Jeremy