Options

Sky and Vonage

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 150
Forum Member
Anyone know if its possible to have a Sky box use the Vonage VoIP service as its return path?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 227
    Forum Member
    belumo2004 wrote:
    Anyone know if its possible to have a Sky box use the Vonage VoIP service as its return path?

I can't be 100% sure on this one as I've never used Vonage before, but I have used BT Broadband Voice.

Sky will only normally accept a telephone number starting 01/02, i dont know if Vonage supply these?

When i was with BTBBV it wasn't possible to use a Fax or Dial-up modem with the service as it just didn't work.

Hope this helps.

David
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vonage technical imformation says the service works with a Fax - but I don't know if you have to have a Fax line for that service.

If it does work with a Fax is the caperbility to pass a 9.6 or 14.4k modem signal enough for the Sky return path?

Anyone know the return path requirements.

Vonage do provide a "real" UK phone number with correct Caller ID. For the £9.99 a month they charge for the basic service you can choose a number of locations for that real number to appear to come from.
  • Options
    blueplatinumblueplatinum Posts: 1,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have tried this with Sipgate and, although I can send a fax I could not get my Sky boxes to successfully "phone home".

The number dialled is 08007317929, but I never get a modem connection, even though I can hear the remote modem answer.

BTW - I am using a Grandstream 286 Analogue to VOIP adapter.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    works with a grandstream 486 and voiptalk (2.99 a month). . .
  • Options
    CitySlickerCitySlicker Posts: 10,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wondered how long it would take before people started to clock onto this idea, have a pretty fair idea of what you're trying to do but am sure we can't mention this here. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ???

Just finding a cheaper way of getting the Sky box to phone home.

Doing it this way saves on having to have a phone line.

I could use Vonage (or similar) over my NTL bb connection(no phone line required) to allow the Sky box to send its information back to Sky in the night.

If you have DSL then there's no reel need as you have to pay for the phone line rental. Even if you dont use it, the Sky box could dial its 0800 number no probs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    have a pretty fair idea of what you're trying to do but am sure we can't mention this here. :)
    I don't want to rip Sky off. I just want to be able to have the same multi-room deal I could get if I was in the UK.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't want to rip Sky off. I just want to be able to have the same multi-room deal I could get if I was in the UK.

didnt think of that actually, but yeah i suppose it'd work
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a bit errattic... depends on the ATA hardware you've got whether it's good enough to do the encoding.

You also need to use full bandwidth ulaw/alaw otherwise there's no chance (compression will just kill it).

I've had no luck with a Cisco ATA186 - was trying to connect it so I could have the sky box somewhere near a phone line (which it isn't at the moment.. phone line terminates in machine room & everything else is VOIP).

Yes the multiroom possibilities are well known - I've even mentioned them here once or twice.. basically once the hardware catches up Sky will have to change their charging model (which they will before it gets popular I'm sure).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    VOIP to PSTN is always (I think) ulaw/alaw ...

It seems pot luck if your VOIP adapter can cope with it or not...
    Tony Hoyle wrote:
    It's a bit errattic... depends on the ATA hardware you've got whether it's good enough to do the encoding.

You also need to use full bandwidth ulaw/alaw otherwise there's no chance (compression will just kill it).

I've had no luck with a Cisco ATA186 - was trying to connect it so I could have the sky box somewhere near a phone line (which it isn't at the moment.. phone line terminates in machine room & everything else is VOIP).

Yes the multiroom possibilities are well known - I've even mentioned them here once or twice.. basically once the hardware catches up Sky will have to change their charging model (which they will before it gets popular I'm sure).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UPDATE

Recently I reconnected my SKY box to my Grandstream ATA286 which is connected to Sipgate and did a "New Installation" and it immediately successfully "phoned home".

I have not changed anything, so I guess it may be an improvement in Sipgates network.

My next problem is how to register for multiroom! Sky have a totally fake address for me (desparate measure to get a receivable ITV on my EPG for SKY+), so I cannot physically receive a new viewing card.

Does anyone know if you go through a Sky registered installer if they provide the card directly, or do Sky post it out?

[Just to reiterate: I am not trying to rip SKY off. I just want the multi-room deal in one house but outside the UK]
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Blue Platinum,

I'm also abroad.

I get my Sky cards from skycards.net , they may be able to get you an address in a location that you want...

If you don't like the look of them, just type "sky digital europe" in google and you'll get a load of results....but skycards.net seem the best.

Good luck,

gaffer
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 80
    Forum Member
    Pobman wrote:
    works with a grandstream 486 and voiptalk (2.99 a month). . .
    Can you (or someone else) confirm that this really works fine?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    Just had Sky+ installed and call back wouldn't work through my Vonage system so had to connect Sky to normal BT line. According to Vonage site they need Sky to reduce modem speed and allow *99 prefix to be dialled, they say they have asked Sky to do this but have had no commitment from Sky to do the work.

Anyone know of a way to make it work in the meantime?
  • Options
    BexTechBexTech Posts: 12,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky aren't going to do this, as they know people will connect from outside the UK.