Options

Freeview DVD recorder £119.99 + VAT

RogRog Posts: 1,780
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Goodmans GDVDR305DVBT at MAKRO. It looks like a brick and I know it's not a premium brand, however looks like the digital tuner revolution is rolling at last.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    Panasonic, Sony and JVC machines are all out; I know which I would prefer...
  • Options
    RogRog Posts: 1,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CHarnick wrote:

agreed, I'm not going to buy one :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CHarnick wrote:
    JVC has a Freeview PVR? I've missed that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,528
    Forum Member
    Ang,

That'll be the JVC DR-M150 then - about £290-£300 for a DVD recorder that has a freeview tuner. Not sure if it's right to call it a "PVR" as such as that tends to imply (I think!) that a device has a hard drive - this doesn't. I'd just call it a Freeview DVD recorder myself.

Cliff

PS Lots of sites seem willing to take orders for the JVC but none seem to have an image of it yet and there's no mention of it on jvc.co.uk so it may currently be vapourware
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After having a hard drive, can't imagine going back to something that you have to put in the media to record. A Freeview DVD recorder is not a Freeview PVR in my opinion.
  • Options
    Phil SPhil S Posts: 1,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought a Goodmans GDB400 Freeview box with built in DVD player last year. Totally unstable! No S/W downloads. All complaints to Goodmans have gone unanswered. They don't seem to care.

DON'T TOUCH IT WITH A BARGEPOLE !!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Phil S wrote:
    I bought a Goodmans GDB400 Freeview box with built in DVD player last year. Totally unstable! No S/W downloads. All complaints to Goodmans have gone unanswered. They don't seem to care.

Hope you took it back and demanded a refund!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    Phil S wrote:

That isn't exactly fair. Having read many of the posts on here, it seems the Goodmans boxes are generally very good. So they had one duff box - it doesn't mean they're all bad. It's not as if poor support/feedback is unique to Goodmans.

To return to topic - has anyone got hold of one of these boxes yet? Any feedback?
  • Options
    JBlinkJBlink Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every supplier, Goodmans, Sony or whoever, will supply duff product. That is a fact in all markets. The real differentiator and the factor that will make people return to them in future is how they react when it happens. So piss poor support / customer service is critical to the perception of the brand and to the buying decision the public make.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 270
    Forum Member
    Can these devices record from an external source (scart input) as well as the internal tuner?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Id rather buy the goodmans freeview hard drive recorder that argos are selling for £119.99.Still abit on the large side though.