Just had a letter demanding payment for channels I've never watched

Phil OwensPhil Owens Posts: 6,989
Forum Member
I've just had a letter from a comany called Key2 recoveries
They say I owe £27.49 for pay per view cannels red hot films, erotica, gay tv and bollywood movies. I've never watched any of these channels. Why the hell have they sent me this letter. should I ring them...
They say I watched a film in 30th July 2000...

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't answer the why part, but you need to contact them and find out what's happening before they start to think about passing this to the courts or a debt recovery service. [Edit: come to think of it, they seem to have already gone down that road, was there no previous correspondence?]

I'd tend to respond in writing, send it by the 'signed for' service. Explain that you have never subscribed to these channels and ask them for details substantiating their claim. In particular, ask them what viewing card number they have recorded for you and check whether it is correct. I think some of the channels you list require registration, so check how the registration was handled and what payment methods were involved.

You may be the victim of identity theft, so you need to sort this out as soon as possible.

All of this assumes that no-one else has access to the box and could have done this to you.
  • gs1gs1 Posts: 8,392
    Forum Member
    Is this the company?

http://www.key2recoveries.co.uk/

You could try using the e-mail contact on the website, before spending your cash querying this.
  • Phil OwensPhil Owens Posts: 6,989
    Forum Member
    Rik Bean wrote:
    I can't answer the why part, but you need to contact them and find out what's happening before they start to think about passing this to the courts or a debt recovery service. [Edit: come to think of it, they seem to have already gone down that road, was there no previous correspondence?]

I'd tend to respond in writing, send it by the 'signed for' service. Explain that you have never subscribed to these channels and ask them for details substantiating their claim. In particular, ask them what viewing card number they have recorded for you and check whether it is correct. I think some of the channels you list require registration, so check how the registration was handled and what payment methods were involved.

You may be the victim of identity theft, so you need to sort this out as soon as possible.

All of this assumes that no-one else has access to the box and could have done this to you.
    This is the first letter I've had. I'm the only person to use the sky box. I've tried phoning them but all I get is a recorded message.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 181
    Forum Member
    There was a very similar case on the forums a few months back, worth a search? Can`t remember the outcome
  • alexj2002alexj2002 Posts: 3,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably be worth contacting Sky and asking if they can give you the details of any payments to be made on your account.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alexj2002 wrote:
    Probably be worth contacting Sky and asking if they can give you the details of any payments to be made on your account.

this could be a scam to get money out of him/her.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    :confused: definatley contact sky they can check if you have in fact watched these channels and will be able to find out when and what time they were watched. it could be a fault with your box or viewing card so check that with sky.
  • astra19Eastra19E Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did any of those channels even exist in the year 2000?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    ive had the same letter, when i tried to contact head office they directed me to a recorded message line. So they are obviously aware of the problem, just waiting for a ring back
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,794
    Forum Member
    astra19E wrote:
    Did any of those channels even exist in the year 2000?

Was just about to post that, but I had a quick look and Red Hot Films/Euro started in June 2000.

Still, it seems strange it took them over five years to notice an outstanding payment...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1. It's extremely unlikely that any company would take you to court for such a tiny amount.

2. Make all contact in writing, NOT by phone, and keep copies.

3. Start by denying it all on the grounds that you didn't do it and there's no evidence to the contrary. Check what Digibox you had at the time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like you're not the only one they're chasing... http://greenroom.nochex.com/archive/index.php?t-5447.html

They do seem to be fairly new, they've only joined up with TCM last year, and they don't list any satisfied clients on their website. (At least I couldn't find any.)

As they have an email address, I'd email them, and if that doesn't get them off of your back, start copying your emails to your local trading standards dept.

http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/

This address should be of help.

:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    I've received one this morning about a film I orderd from U direct films in sept 2000. Like everyone else it's taken 5 years.

I'm annoyed as the letter says I have received previous reminders but I have not received anything from them before this is the first I have heard of it. Is every one else the same ?

Im now trying to decide what to do about it as it says pay in seven days. :confused:
  • HeinzHeinz Posts: 7,210
    Forum Member
    apbooth1 wrote:
    I've received one this morning about a film I orderd from U direct films in sept 2000. Like everyone else it's taken 5 years.

I'm annoyed as the letter says I have received previous reminders but I have not received anything from them before this is the first I have heard of it. Is every one else the same ?

Im now trying to decide what to do about it as it says pay in seven days. :confused:
    IMHO, if any of these ancient claims ever get to court, they'll be thrown out under Article 6 of the Human Rights Act 1998:
    Article 6
    Right to a fair trial

1. In the determination of his civil rights and obligations or of any criminal charge against him, everyone is entitled to a fair and public hearing within a reasonable time by an independent and impartial tribunal established by law. Judgment shall be pronounced publicly but the press and public may be excluded from all or part of the trial in the interest of morals, public order or national security in a democratic society, where the interests of juveniles or the protection of the private life of the parties so require, or to the extent strictly necessary in the opinion of the court in special circumstances where publicity would prejudice the interests of justice
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bollywood films i think launched in 2003/2004

this is likely to be a scam, but ring sky and find out
  • pjb007pjb007 Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Contact Sky, its possible that its a computer messup or somthing.
  • crazyfjcrazyfj Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    This channels are not dealt with by Sky, the call centre is called MGT, they look after all the Red Hot, Setanta Sport monthly subs (not one of ppv they are done by Sky) They also have the contract for Top up TV and also did the old U Direct.

You will find that if you pay or signed up via Direct Debt they do not write to inform you that they have cancelled the account or issue bills. It is simply passed out to a collection agency after some time.

hope this helps
    Forum Member
    I sent the debt collection company an e-mail and got a reply this morning. They say their client says I did order the film and they have sent me reminders, bullshit, the letter I got from the debt collectors was the only one I've had.
    Here is part of the e-mail they sent me...

Dear sir

RHF PRODUCTIONS LIMITED

BALANCE OUTSTANDING: £27.49

We write with reference to the above.

The films watched were assigned to Sky card and box registered in your name. Whilst Sky is used as the method to deliver these services, the charges are not the responsibilities of Sky are, as a consequence, not collected by Sky by way of their monthly direct debit. The charges come from our client.

These are pay per view offerings, again separate from the Sky box office, and are usually contracted via a telephone call to our client's automated system. If for any reason the details are not collected correctly, the system may still allow the viewings until such time as they attempt to collect payment.

In this case our client maintains the information they hold relates to a Sky card registered in your name for the appropriate time.

Our client maintains that reminders have been sent to you. We cannot comment further if you have not received the same.

We are Key2Recoveries Limited, a debt management company, who have been instructed by RHF Productions Limited to recover debts due to them relating to the supply of television services.

RHF Productions trades as Red Hot Movie channel including Udirect films.

The statue in England & Wales for pursuing any debt is 6 years from the date of the debt.

The balance as detailed above remains outstanding and we trust the above explains the situation.

£20 of the £27.49 is the colletors charge...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    I would give the T*ssers the run-around for a year..........they cant persue the debt once it hits the 6 year mark :rolleyes:
    Lynzi.xx
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The statue in England & Wales
    Would you trust a company that can't spell "statute"?
    I notice other errors, too. Or is that your copying?

In any case, they are relying on technology and their customer's word to prove that your Digibox and card were involved. It's too easy to dispute. They won't go to court because they know they'd lose.

Remember a while back there was a big hoohah in the papers because loads of people got bills from BT as their Digiboxes had been phoning a wrong number? You just can't rely on technology.
    Forum Member
    Would you trust a company that can't spell "statute"?
    I notice other errors, too. Or is that your copying?

In any case, they are relying on technology and their customer's word to prove that your Digibox and card were involved. It's too easy to dispute. They won't go to court because they know they'd lose.

Remember a while back there was a big hoohah in the papers because loads of people got bills from BT as their Digiboxes had been phoning a wrong number? You just can't rely on technology.
    Not my copying... I noticed the bad spelling.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just looked up the designation MICM, it appears to be given to any adult who has worked in a "management" position in the credit management business for a few years. (If the designation was MICM (Grad), he would have passed some form of exam.)

They do seem to be a fairly new business, and given that this type of debt recovery generally works on a no win, no fee, basis have probably picked up some business that other debt recovery businesses wouldn't touch.

I really would advise contacting your local trading standards dept to get them to investigate their actions, and also you could complain to the ICM about them.

Their ethical code is found here, http://www.icm.org.uk/home.asp?edit_id=215&nav=15&branch=0

:cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phil Owens wrote:
    The films watched were assigned to Sky card and box registered in your name. Whilst Sky is used as the method to deliver these services, the charges are not the responsibilities of Sky are, as a consequence, not collected by Sky by way of their monthly direct debit. The charges come from our client.

[snip...]

In this case our client maintains the information they hold relates to a Sky card registered in your name for the appropriate time.

I would demand that they tell you what viewing card number they say was used and what payment method was agreed. Without that information, you can't decide whether you should pay or challenge the claim. If they want to go to court, they would have to produce the information anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I thought they haven't been around long,

Date of Incorporation: 25/10/2002

Previous Names:
    Date of change Previous Name
    03/09/2003 KEY2 MANAGEMENT LIMITED
    13/06/2003 SWL (439) LIMITED

;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    Lynzi23 wrote:
    I would give the T*ssers the run-around for a year..........they cant persue the debt once it hits the 6 year mark :rolleyes:
    Lynzi.xx

Nope - wrong. Only if they fail to contact you within that time scale with regard to the debt. It is not a magic "don't pay for 6 years and you're off" card - its if they fail to persue the debt for 6 years then you're clear. This is to stop people coming up after 6+ years and out of the blue claiming money. The claim for the debt must be made within 6 years.

D