Options

The Makosi's hair thread *Long post*

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19,918
Forum Member
✭✭
I never thought I would find myself starting a thread on Makosi's hair but, people keep starting so many threads on Makosi's hair, I just thought I should answer the FAQs and stop the madness.

Everything you wanted to know about Makosi’s hair but were afraid to ask, hopefully this would stop people staring a ten threads a week about Makosi’s hair.

About me:
1) I am not an Afro hair guru, I am learning as I go along.
2) I started making hair when I was 8 – 9 years old. I started with dolls, curling their hair and making cornrows etc.
3) I learnt from watching my mom and hairdressers making other people’s hair.
4) The first human hair I ever styled was mine and I worked my way up starting with my sister’s hair, moving on to friends and family and now styling hair part-time/when I feel like it.

MAKOSI’S HAIR:
I can’t remember what her hair looked like during the auditions so; I would just start from her current hair style.
Makosi’s current hair style is a made up of extensions, sown/glued onto cornrows.

WHAT IS A WEAVE? & HOW IS IT FIXED?
Fixing a weave is one of the many ways people can change their hair style without having a haircut or spending months growing their hair. Weave gets its name from the process by which the extensions are added to the hair. Basically, the hair is woven into cornrows (like the style worn by Science) and extensions are either sown on or bonded on to the human hair.

While some people prefer to have the extensions glued/bonded on, others prefer for it to be sown on. Bonding tends to last long because of the glue holding it together but, getting the glue out of your hair can be a pain in the arse and most people end up having to go to a hairdresser to help them take the extensions out.
Sown on weave is much easier to take out, but it doesn’t last as long.

With the advancements in hair, you do not have to fix a full head of extensions; some people choose to have strands bonded or sown in two their hair to give length, fullness or a burst of colour.

WHO CAN WEAR A WEAVE?
Everybody! Black, white, blue, red. Weaves used to be specifically associated with people of Afro-Caribbean origin but, it has gradually spread to EVERYONE through fashion and celebrities. People who watch ANTM (America’s Next Top Model) would have noticed the transformation from long hair to short hair that most of the contestants go through, it is done with the help of extensions, weaves and bonding.

HOW LONG DO THEY LAST?
1 to 3 months depending on the quality. I keep mine for one month.

HOW MUCH DO THEY COST?
Anything from 50 to 400 pounds depending on the hairdresser and the quality of the hair.

SPILL THE BEANS…EXAMPLES OF CELEBS WITH WEAVES/EXTENSIONS…
Tyra Banks, Beyonnce Knowles, Jordan, Halle Berry, Jamelia, Duncan from Blue (he had blonde and black strands bonded into his hair to give it length), June Sarpong (she wears the worst weaves I have ever seen), Victoria Beckham, Jodie Marsh and others that I can’t remember.

BACK TO MAKOSI’S HAIR:
Makosi's hair looks like it has been glued or bonded on, she needs a bond remover to take it out and I don’t think she packed one with her.
She can’t wash her hair while she is in the house because, she doesn’t have access to a hairdryer and it would end up smelling.

LAST WEEK MAKOSI HAD A DIFFERENT STYLE ON; DOES THIS MEAN SHE HAS TAKEN HER WEAVE OFF?
Last week Makosi wore a wig from the Spy Task but, she didn’t take her weave off, she just stuffed her Afro weave into one of those hair nets you get with a wig and wore the wig over the weave.

CAN CRAIG HELP HER WITH HER HAIR?
Do pigs fly?

Have I covered everything about weaves and extensions? No.

Hopefully, this has answered everyone’s questions about Makosi’s hair.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thats cleared that up then -)

Good post.
  • Options
    SilentWitnessSilentWitness Posts: 9,395
    Forum Member
    Long...but interesting. Thanks ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 341
    Forum Member
    WELL DONE!!!

I think you have quietened all those makosi cynics on at least one point!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,140
    Forum Member
    she said this morning, as she was scratching her head, that she couldnt wait to have her hair straightened and a weave put back on.
    Her hair on audition tapes was similar to the spy wig...with blonde highlights
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    very detailed and wholly accurate i think as well. Cheers
  • Options
    solaresolare Posts: 11,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cybergirl3 wrote:
    She can’t wash her hair while she is in the house because, she doesn’t have access to a hairdryer and it would end up smelling.
    Why can't it dry naturally?
    Wouldn't it smell more by not being washed for 10 weeks?
  • Options
    PosyPosy Posts: 1,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for a very informative post BUT as others have said, won't it smell by now and surely it woruld get incredibly itchy under that wig.

Can I ask, what condition will her own hair be in after all this time?
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 9,688
    Forum Member
    Well I like her new hair !!!
  • Options
    jamestmjamestm Posts: 771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    solare wrote:

she once said she would wash it but only if she was sure it was going to be sunny outside so it could dry in the heat. i dont think she ever did wash it though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    solare wrote:

It would take a long time for it to dry and it still won't dry totally, the cornrow base of the hair would remain damp and with hair not penetrating into it, it would itch her even more than it already is and she would find it really uncomfortable.

It smells right now but, it would smell more if she washes it becuase of the damp cornrow and air not getting into it..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Posy wrote:
    Thanks for a very informative post BUT as others have said, won't it smell by now and surely it woruld get incredibly itchy under that wig.

Can I ask, what condition will her own hair be in after all this time?

Her hair would be fine. If it is chemically straightened, she would need to touch up the new growth and have all the treatments that come with it, besides that her hair is in perfect condition.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,125
    Forum Member
    Great post. Thanks, cybergirl. All my questions answered :)
  • Options
    SolarSailSolarSail Posts: 7,744
    Forum Member
    Thanks, cleared up the gaps in my knowledge :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, basically, a weave isn't necessarily a 'weave' as it's glued in place as opposed to being woven/sewn?

How does that differentiate from some wigs then?
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Woohoo, the official Moloko's hair FAQ, just what i've been looking for. ;)
  • Options
    JisubaJisuba Posts: 2,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cybergirl3 wrote:
    It would take a long time for it to dry and it still won't dry totally, the cornrow base of the hair would remain damp and with hair not penetrating into it, it would itch her even more than it already is and she would find it really uncomfortable.

It smells right now but, it would smell more if she washes it becuase of the damp cornrow and air not getting into it..

My initial reaction is ... yuk ...she said yesterday to Kinga that she hadn't washed it for 10 weeks.

I read somewhere that if hair (your own human hair, that is) is not washed at all - ever - it will become glorious, shiny and sweet smelling(?).

Can you comment on this please - btw, loved your post ... very informative.
  • Options
    JisubaJisuba Posts: 2,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rubber Nun wrote:
    So, basically, a weave isn't necessarily a 'weave' as it's glued in place as opposed to being woven/sewn?

How does that differentiate from some wigs then?

Wigs can be taken off and stuck on a polystyrene head overnight.
  • Options
    SoapsRmeSoapsRme Posts: 1,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just can't believe that someone would spend money to get hair that looks like they've had an electric shock!!!

Excuse my ignorance but I thought Afro hair was naturally like Makosi's and that they normally spent a fortune on straighteners etc. to make it look "unfrizzy"?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 334
    Forum Member
    What do women who have weaves normally do with their hair downstairs? Just curious
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 480
    Forum Member
    SoapsRme wrote:
    I just can't believe that someone would spend money to get hair that looks like they've had an electric shock!!!

Excuse my ignorance but I thought Afro hair was naturally like Makosi's and that they normally spent a fortune on straighteners etc. to make it look "unfrizzy"?

Wow! Have you been living in Hicksville for the last century?

I think Makosi sported an afro to prove to people like you that she isn't ashamed of the texture of her hair, whether it's been straightened OR natural.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jisuba wrote:
    Wigs can be taken off and stuck on a polystyrene head overnight.

That's not true at all. Some can, some can't. Some are fastened with wire loops to the scalp, others use plastic fasteners through holes in the scalp, some are glued on which can last over a month.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    Very good and thank you for explaining
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow! Have you been living in Hicksville for the last century?

I think Makosi sported an afro to prove to people like you that she isn't ashamed of the texture of her hair, whether it's been straightened OR natural.

So you're saying that she had an Afro weave over her own Afro hair to prove that she wasn't ashamed of having Afro hair? Whaaat?

And what do you mean "people like you"? Have I said anything offensive? I thought the general opinion was that Makosi's hair looked awful. :cry:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    SoapsRme wrote:

just to put this in perspective for you - it would take me approx 2 years to get my afro as long as makosi's weave right now (as my hair grows soooo slowly).

I would love the versatility of being able to wear a full, healthy natural afro one day and a straight sleek relaxed look the other, but the fact is that I can't.
    I don't like weaves myself, but have nothing against anyone (male or female) who chooses to wear one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    prima D wrote:
    just to put this in perspective for you - it would take me approx 2 years to get my afro as long as makosi's weave right now (as my hair grows soooo slowly).

I would love the versatility of being able to wear a full, healthy natural afro one day and a straight sleek relaxed look the other, but the fact is that I can't.
    I don't like weaves myself, but have nothing against anyone (male or female) who chooses to wear one.

Thankyou Prima D for your polite and informative reply. xx