Options

Freecom DVB-T USB Stick (merged)

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33
Forum Member
I've just seen this product, which is a small aerial and Freeview decoder which connects to a computer via USB 2.0, allowing you to get Freeview and DAB Radio on your computer.

Has anyone tried one of these? If so, what do you think of it?

I believe it also enables recording of TV on your PC. If so, any comments on the ease of use of the software?

Many thanks all

Navito :D

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 312
    Forum Member
    Is it USB1 or 2? If 2, I'm sure the quality would be pretty good, and if you can attach an external aerial - I'd be very interesting in this!

paulie
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heres a link to product available from cclonline

and another from scan
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've been wanting to get something like this for my PC for a while now. The only thing is, I'd like to know the quality before I buy. I'm wondering how such a tiny aerial could get decent reception, when normally you need a decent yagi aerial for Freeview. Anyone?

Cheers

• Options
    Forum Member
    euroslash wrote:
    Is it USB1 or 2? If 2, I'm sure the quality would be pretty good, and if you can attach an external aerial - I'd be very interesting in this!

paulie

Paulie

All the specs I've read so far are saying that it's USB 2.0. I doubt that it would be compatible with earlier versions of USB as the data transfer rate would not be fast enough to transfer all the information associated with a television picture.

Cheers

• Options
    Forum Member
    navito wrote:
    Paulie

All the specs I've read so far are saying that it's USB 2.0. I doubt that it would be compatible with earlier versions of USB as the data transfer rate would not be fast enough to transfer all the information associated with a television picture.

Cheers

Thats exactly what I was thinking...

I had a USB tuner (non digital) and it was only USB1.1 so the quality was good but only in a window (like 320 by whatever)

This is intriguing, I'm gonna pick one up when I'm paid!

paulie
  • Options
    digispecdigispec Posts: 2,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    navito wrote:
    I'm wondering how such a tiny aerial could get decent reception, when normally you need a decent yagi aerial for Freeview. Anyone?

The supplied aerial looks very similar (if not identical) to the one I got with my USB DAB radio.
    If it is the same, then you can replace it with an external aerial via an SMA connector (I have plugged mine into the roof aerial, SMA connectors are available from Maplin).

To be honest, I could pick up virtually no signal where I live with that type of indoor aerial, but with the roof aerial attached, I'm getting all services.
  • Options
    Alex OughtonAlex Oughton Posts: 6,739
    Forum Member
    A couple of things:

1. I can't see any mention of DAB on the page linked. I think the device may be DVB-T only.

2. Since the video is sent to the computer as MPEG2, USB 1.1 is more than enough for a DVB-T receiver. It's certainly enough for any channel you'll find on Freeview today, but I don't know if it could accomodate an HDTV channel. Probably not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

1. I can't see any mention of DAB on the page linked. I think the device may be DVB-T only.

Yes, Beware!

Just about every DVB-T appliance under the sun is sold as including digital radio (which technically they do via the freeview platform).
    Very very rarely do these items support true DAB radio though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 150
    Forum Member
    navito wrote:
    Paulie

Cheers

USB 2.0 has a data rate of 440 Mbps. More than enough for DVD quality, never mind TV!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder how many university students would get away with using that to watch tv. Of course with a TV license. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    digispec wrote:
    The supplied aerial looks very similar (if not identical) to the one I got with my USB DAB radio.
    If it is the same, then you can replace it with an external aerial via an SMA connector (I have plugged mine into the roof aerial, SMA connectors are available from Maplin).

To be honest, I could pick up virtually no signal where I live with that type of indoor aerial, but with the roof aerial attached, I'm getting all services.

If you go to the SCAN link above for this item and click to zoom in on the picture (at first mine didn't even show a picture :)) then you'll see that the aerial can be disconnected and actaully just looks like a standard aerial connection.

Nice idea certainly for people with laptops, just might need to rescan if you are on the move :)
  • Options
    Alex OughtonAlex Oughton Posts: 6,739
    Forum Member
    Orcadian wrote:
    USB 2.0 has a data rate of 440 Mbps. More than enough for DVD quality, never mind TV!

480 actually. ;)

Deliberately chosen as a multiple of USB 1.1's 12.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It will be the LIFEVIEW USB stick no doubt. Better for laptops will be the Lifeview DVB-T Duo cardbus with analogue and Composite IN and SVHS In at about £60-£63.

If the stick send 1 channel rather than a Mux you wont need USB 2.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    alanwarwic wrote:
    It will be the LIFEVIEW USB stick no doubt. Better for laptops will be the Lifeview DVB-T Duo cardbus with analogue and Composite IN and SVHS In at about £60-£63.

If the stick send 1 channel rather than a Mux you wont need USB 2.

What will those two features be useful for? And what connection? Card thing?

I dont understand the terms you just used!

paulie
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Analogue TV, Digital TV and an infeed for recording from external devices
  • Options
    Forum Member
    alanwarwic wrote:
    Analogue TV, Digital TV and an infeed for recording from external devices

Ah yes. That would be useful for archiving VHS tapes.

What sort of screensize? Full? Like, are we talking very good fullscreen quality or is that too much to hope for?

And does it connect via USB, smartcard thing, or what?

Thanks, sorry for being dense... :)

paulie
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cardbus is a slot on laptops. Sometimes know as a PC CARD slot or PCMCIA.

Capture is to DVD standard assuming you have a Pentium 1000+.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    Most digital channels are in 720x576 resolution (some are 544x520, such as E4), and the HIGHEST bitrates are about 4.5Mbps, with some channels going as low as 1Mbps at times. So fullscreen on your laptop will stretch the video to whatever resolution your TFT is.

Not sure what resolution analogue TV is to be honest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ajb3000 wrote:
    Not sure what resolution analogue TV is to be honest.

For the Luminance (greyscale) signal
    625 vertical lines of which only 576 contain picture information.

The available bandwidth allows for roughly similar horizontal definition. Which would be roughly
    (576*4/3)=768, although some cropping takes place, leaving probably around 720 horizontal as a theoretical maximum on perfect equipment.

Of course interlacing is used which effectivley halves the information needed to be sent than if it was progressive.

The Chrominance (Colour information) resolution is roughly half that of the luminance.
    But the human eye cannot normally notice this.

If you look very carefully though, you will see slight colour overlapping amongst objects of different hues, provided your equipment is of sufficient high quality.

So, to summarise: Analogue PAL TV is never better than 720x576 interlaced, with the colour info never better than 360x288.
    And that assumes perfect equipment, and lack of PAL artifacts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the info guys :)

I'm excited.

paulie
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 150
    Forum Member
    480 actually. ;)

Deliberately chosen as a multiple of USB 1.1's 12.

Cheers, I knew it was a bit more than the 400 Mbps of firewire. :)
  • Options
    SteveMcKSteveMcK Posts: 5,459
    Forum Member
    euroslash wrote:
    Thanks for the info guys :)

I'm excited.

paulie

It certainly looks like a nice gadget, but since it requires a minimum of an 800MHz Pentium 3 I would gues that the USB dongle is just the RF side, with the demultiplexing and decoding done in the PC (a sort of 'winmodem' for DTT!). You may find that unless you've got a fairly beefy laptop you won't be able to do much else while you're watching TV.

Still, for £50...

Let us know if you get one :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    SteveMcK wrote:
    It certainly looks like a nice gadget, but since it requires a minimum of an 800MHz Pentium 3 I would gues that the USB dongle is just the RF side, with the demultiplexing and decoding done in the PC (a sort of 'winmodem' for DTT!). You may find that unless you've got a fairly beefy laptop you won't be able to do much else while you're watching TV.

Still, for £50...

Let us know if you get one :)

Yeah, I mean, if I get one, you guys will be first to hear of my thoughts. My laptop is a 2.4ghz Celeron with 512mb RAM. So I should be ok. It handles graphics fairly well, so yeah we'll see.

It wont be before the end of August though, unfortunately (unless someone buys it for me, which is possible)

Anyway. :)

paulie
  • Options
    CorinCorin Posts: 7,224
    Forum Member