Lg Dr7400

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,022
Forum Member
✭✭✭
i keep looking at getting a dvd recorder but there allways to thick (height) so it would have to go in place of my vcr which i would still like to keep which is why im never sure to get on or not but today in comet i saw this lg dr7400 for £129.99 which is the same height as my dvd player which is great as it can replace that obviuosly and i can still keep my vcr on the tv unit :) . but what i want to know is this dvd recorder good?, i cant find any info/reviews on it on the web about it. thanks :)

here it is http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/241_254797.html

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    i have a lg dr7400, and can tell you its a great recorder. I just use it to archive stuff off sky plus, and it works a treat. edit funtions are pretty good, very easy setup out the box. had it set up and recording in about 5 mins!! although read through your manual carefully, as there are some settings that are sometimes already on like dvd overite which overwrites the dvd evrytime you start a diffrent recording lol. i was there ages trying to figure it out lol. theres 4 diffrent quality settings for genral use i use lq which gives about 4 hrs of gd quality and for stuff i wanna keep i normally use sq which is bout 2 hrs. hq is the highest but only ge bout an hour. but as long as you set it up you will get maximum use out this machine, its done me proud so far. p.s the region hack is really easy for this

1) Power on

2) eject the disk tray

3) Press '0' seven times

4) Press the key for the region you require 0-6
    1 for region 1
    2 for region 2
    0 for all/multiregion

5. Press 'PAUSE' to save settings
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thanks for that, i may get one this weekend :)

thanks for the multiregion code too, i couldn't find one so thats a great help
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    Hi,

Whilst archiving from a hard disk recorder, is it possible to pause the archiving, fastfoward through the adverts and continue the recording?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    Hello,
    I'm thinking of getting an LG DR7400 aswell, £119 in Comet, but there doesn't seem to be any info on it anywhere. Reviews of other LG recorders say that they are very picky with the types of brand of DVD+RW discs and even reject Philips brand ones. Is the DR7400 picky about media?

Is it any good for archiving VHS? The spec sheet on www.lge.co.uk doesn't mention a 3hr LP mode, but VHS tapes are 3hrs long! Can you tell that the VHS archived is a copy if you do it on 4hr mode?

LG website also mentions DviX playback, is this the same as DivX?or are they being ambiguious on purpose and its just short for Digital Video interface or something?

Also, how noisy is the fan - how would it compare to an original style PS2 fan?

Thanks in advance
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sorry to bring up an old thread but im probably going to get this recorder for christmas

has anyone got any more information about it, reviews etc and what are the best dvd+rw disks to use with it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    also, if i have it connected this: -

Sky + TV Scart (RGB) - LG AV2 (Scart)

LG AV1 (Scart) - TV AV1 (scart)

when the lg is in standby will the sky+ automatically loop through when its switched on and if i then switch the lg on will that be displayed on the tv even though sky+ is still on?

Thanks
    Forum Member
    I got one in the end. It works with Philips 4x DVD+RW. It doesn't have a fan so it quiet. If you don't have it plugged in to power, the RF loopthrough signal goes poor so you need it plugged in. it doesn't have auto clock set, if you turn it off over night you always have to re do the clock. It doesn't have PDC, unlike what the LG website says nor does it have HDMI connector. The SCART sockets do not have any kind of RGB capability. It doesn't have any phono audio outoput at the back jus t 2 scarts and digital audio SPDIF. It doesn't do divX. You can get the instructions PDF off the www.lge.com website under the i want instructions bit.

The worst thing of all is the picture quality, it is very poor, even before you start recording. Whether you are viewing the internal tuner or through scarts, the picture is blurred and has a green colour cast, very dissapointing indeed. It must be due to the video DAC (digital analogue conveter) It is 27mhz, whereas on others I have seen they have 54mhz DAC.
    (A cheap old Alba VHS vcr has a better picture quality through the scarts and tuner than this.)

So this means what it records onto disc is also poor quality regardless of the quallity setting (ie HQ, SQ, LQ etc), because what recorder sees through either the tuner or scarts is so poor.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    that doesn't sound to good, the first paragraph of what you said wouldn't trouble me but what your saying about the picture quality sounds terible.

have you tried getting a replacement to see if its just yours thats faulty? or have you allready?

i was rather hoping it would be good as i need a slim one to fit on my tv stand. i was going to get that cheap alba from argos as it was getting good reviews on here and was slim but it seems to have a fault on the scart control :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,528
    Forum Member
    asdigi wrote:
    the first paragraph of what you said wouldn't trouble me
    What, not even the lack of RGB on the SCARTs? What's the point of a DVDR in this day and age that won't record an RGB source? It's like a step back to the Dark Ages.

Cliff
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CJL wrote:
    What, not even the lack of RGB on the SCARTs? What's the point of a DVDR in this day and age that won't record an RGB source? It's like a step back to the Dark Ages.

Cliff
    i missed that bit :so yes it would bother me. i think im going to have to spend more and get a pioneer or panasonic.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,528
    Forum Member
    asdigi wrote:
    pioneer or panasonic.
    Wise choice - if DS-PVR had a motto it'd probably "don't settle for crap, spend the extra £50 and get something decent"
  • brian9200Tbrian9200T Posts: 585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the warnings. I bought one on Sat before reading these posts. When I installed it, as you said the picture through the LG tuner was poor. With the LG switched off the TV received the passthrough signal and was very good so it wasn't the aerial. I took the box back and got a refund with no aggravation from John Lewis.
    Forum Member
    I've put some sample screenshots of the picture quality that you get with the LG DR7400 along with more detailed description and info on this website:

http://www.geocities.com/sendgb/lg-dr7400-review.html

If you see anyone else interested in an LG DR 7400, point them in that direction, it could save them dissapointment.

It was very dissapointing with the picture quality as otherwise the LG DR7400 had some good things about it, such as a good user interface and remote control.

Apart from the lack of scart switching and looping and the delay with the lip sync that is!

This simply isn't good enough from a company like LG, I thought they were supposed to be good! What's the point in a dvd recorder that has worse picture quality than VHS?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know if there is a supported blank media list for this machine? My wife has bought one of these machines for her Father's birthday. I have a Cyberhome DVD recorder and that works better with discs on their supported blank disc list. Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)
    Forum Member
    :cry: I got one free withe the 28" Wharfedale LCD TV in Argos and I'm taking it back. The picture is lousy when recording, the speach is out of synch and the sound track sounds like an over stretched VHS tape. LG seem to have no record of these issues but a quick web search reveales it is a common issue. I'll wait 'til the tech department get in touch then it is down to Argos. I'll pay the difference and get the Philips. :mad:
    Forum Member
    I got a replacement DR7400 from Argos after LG agreed this was not right. It was still no good so I upgraded to a Philips DVDR3305. So far so good. Nicer picture and video+.
    On the down side the remote control is not so user friendly. :) :mad:
  • slimjimslimjim Posts: 718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bought one myself, today, rather impulsively. Wish I'd read this thread first! I agree that the recorded picture is poor; mainly due to an inability to record RGB as far as I can tell - which is a shame. It will be going back tomorrow.
    Forum Member
    Replace it with a Panasonic DMRES10- £130 (or £140 Multi region) from Richer Sounds- I did- they're fab.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does it do RGB record, RGB loopthrough on standby and record +media, including +RW?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    slimjim wrote:
    Bought one myself, today, rather impulsively. Wish I'd read this thread first! I agree that the recorded picture is poor; mainly due to an inability to record RGB as far as I can tell - which is a shame. It will be going back tomorrow.

Well, I tried to take it back, to Currys at the Wyvern in Derby - but they flatly refused to take it back.

I asked them if they honestly preferred me to be a dissatisfied customer than to let me return a product I was unhappy with, and they made it clear in no uncertain terms that they preferred the former situation.

Eventually, they offered to take it back if I agreed to pay them £20 for the privilege. I declined.

Will be taking this up with their customer support people.
    Forum Member
    slimjim wrote:
    Does it do RGB record, RGB loopthrough on standby and record +media, including +RW?
    Records on -R, -RW, +R and RAM. Not sure what you mean by RGB record/loopthrough-it does record an excellent picture from my freeview box. Check Richer Sounds for more info:
    http://ws1.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=PANA-DMRES10-R2