Getting US TV Channels In The UK

dj9928dj9928 Posts: 2,472
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Is there any cheap way of getting US Tv stations in th UK? I'm not talking bout CNNI etc but the full US Versions? I enjoy FOX news buts thats all I seem to be able to get.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    You'd need a pretty big dish, is my guess.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dj9928 wrote:
    Is there any cheap way of getting US Tv stations in th UK? I'm not talking bout CNNI etc but the full US Versions? I enjoy FOX news buts thats all I seem to be able to get.

You dont. The satellites that cover the states are below the horizon in Europe.
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watching Sky, CH4 and Ch5 is pretty close to US tv... and it's getting closer!

Having spent many months in the US, I really CAN wait for our TV stations to go fully 'American'

adverts avery 5 minutes is very irritating, news is very biased and very politically affiliated.... (just watch O'Reilly's Fox news slot- what an arse)

My American wife really missed US television when she first came over here to live, a month or two later and she was so glad to have BBC without adverts, news that was less biased and sensationalised and of course, fabulous 625 line PAL pictures lol :)

Don't get me wrong, I love many American shows but not the American broadcasting methods used.......
  • dj9928dj9928 Posts: 2,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watching Sky, CH4 and Ch5 is pretty close to US tv... and it's getting closer!

Having spent many months in the US, I really CAN wait for our TV stations to go fully 'American'

adverts avery 5 minutes is very irritating, news is very biased and very politically affiliated.... (just watch O'Reilly's Fox news slot- what an arse)

My American wife really missed US television when she first came over here to live, a month or two later and she was so glad to have BBC without adverts, news that was less biased and sensationalised and of course, fabulous 625 line PAL pictures lol :)

I'm after the ads and all.not just the US programming.
  • Alex OughtonAlex Oughton Posts: 6,739
    Forum Member
    brownca wrote:
    You'd need a pretty big dish, is my guess.

A big dish and an enormous mountain. Then you might get something. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    Also, american output is in NTSC so you wouldn't be able to see it anyway.
  • RuokasiRuokasi Posts: 3,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well he could have a small dish, but a very long wire?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A big dish and an enormous mountain. Then you might get something. ;)

Even if you put a dish on Ben Nevis, the satellites will STILL be below the horizon. And they arent firing anywhere near Europe, so even if they were visible you would need something that looked like Jodrell Bank, so the locals would compalin about the views being ruined. :D
  • mob227mob227 Posts: 184
    Forum Member
    i have a few north american channels on my 3 meter cband dish, plus i got a working power vu receiver for afn on hotbird plus its active,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mob227 wrote:
    i have a few north american channels on my 3 meter cband dish, plus i got a working power vu receiver for afn on hotbird plus its active,

Which sat(s) are you looking at and where are you located?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 116
    Forum Member
    I went to the us for ayear , bought a tv for thr motor home , watched the first week , but it never came out of the cupboard again
    not even any news ; when I stayed on camp sites with cable it wasn't worth watching
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    dj9928 wrote:

There is the only way get some US TV in Europe - http://www.orbit.net/Home/default.asp Look for dealers near you on the page - http://www.orbit.net/Subscriber/Dealers
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course I presume if the US channel concerned had a wish to broadcast to Europe it could be bounced off a few satellites but why would they really want to would be their main question.

If you want to see what US advertising is like then have a look at ABC1, as they seem to be broadcasting pretty much how it would appear if in the US. ie. End of a programme you get ads, then when it returns you get the credits of that ended prog before beginning the next.
    Forum Member
    im in south wales , i can get from 68 east luckly im on the side of a hill, to 58 west
    Which sat(s) are you looking at and where are you located?
    Forum Member
    I Have that package with my dream box and and the card share network im with,
    Vlad Fox wrote:
    There is the only way get some US TV in Europe - http://www.orbit.net/Home/default.asp Look for dealers near you on the page - http://www.orbit.net/Subscriber/Dealers
  • DogmatixDogmatix Posts: 2,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mob227 wrote:
    i have a working power vu receiver for afn on hotbird plus its active,

Where on earth did you get a working PowerVu receiver????
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 319
    Forum Member
    I heard about some software that lets you send TV over a Lan with a very fast internet connection you could get someone in USA to set this up over the internet, touble is you would need atleast 3mb connection up and down.
  • Alex OughtonAlex Oughton Posts: 6,739
    Forum Member
    brownca wrote:
    Also, american output is in NTSC so you wouldn't be able to see it anyway.

Almost all, if not all, televisions sold today can receive NTSC without a problem.
  • ready2watchready2watch Posts: 3,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dj9928 wrote:

Well there is one way you could have us tv in your home but it is going to cost you. Go to www.loaded247.com and go to region 1 dvd and they have all the us,ca dvds for you. They have Friends, Will and Grace, OC, ER, and much more.

Or you could go to E4, C4, Livingtv, Channel 5, Hallmark Channel and SCI-FI and they show us programming from time to time. On C4 this friday night is Scrubs dont know what time though and that is from US.

No you cant get it on your tv, etc, NBC, FOX because the american tv boss told the british tv boss that we are not allowed there us channels we have to wait for there shows to come here, it takes 3-6 months sometimes more. So you cannot have US on your tv but you can have US on DVD.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    This has mainly been about fiction and 'complete' channels, but how about little gems of live news programs that are available here and there, has someone a little list of that? As far as I know, there is:

-CBS evening news (Sky News, 0.30 and 5.30 British time)
    -Letterman + CBS evening news 23.30 (16 east feed)
    -Leno + O'Brian (5 east feed)
    -mbc 4 on Nilesat with an impressive schedule full of US news shows - see here: http://www.mbc4.net/schedule.asp
    -Fox News included in various European pay tv packages
    -little bits and pieces on internet sites

Also, I remember BBC World having ABC news at 2 a.m. but that's a couple of years ago and I believe they've dropped it since then.

Anything I might have missed? Suggestions?
    Forum Member
    i brought mine for a us army guy of ebay he was stationed in germany i payed about 90 for it, there is lots of power vu receivers about but just need to get it actived thats the hard part
    Dogmatix wrote:
    Where on earth did you get a working PowerVu receiver????
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blueraven wrote:
    Of course I presume if the US channel concerned had a wish to broadcast to Europe it could be bounced off a few satellites

It could be done with one satellite, situated over the middle of the Atlantic. After all that's how communications satelites work

It's not going to happen though
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    mob227 wrote:
    I Have that package with my dream box and and the card share network im with,

Realy? Im heard, what this package dont have any cards.... Only receivers with built-in decoder...How is it possible watching it via sharing?
    Forum Member
    Vlad Fox wrote:
    Realy? Im heard, what this package dont have any cards.... Only receivers with built-in decoder...How is it possible watching it via sharing?

yes the orbit package has a internal seca2 card, you have to take the receiver apart and extract the card, which is not as eay as it sounds and there moulded in
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Koen C wrote:

Also, I remember BBC World having ABC news at 2 a.m. but that's a couple of years ago and I believe they've dropped it since then.

News 24 plays ABC news for a couple of hours overnight.. presumably so the technical staff can have a tea break :)