Arsenal V Newcastle Picture Quality

pete taylorpete taylor Posts: 1,977
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just look at the poor quality of the picture on Sky Sports 1 at the moment during the Arsenal V Newcastle game.

Keep your eye on the grass as the camera moves with the action, it goes very blurred until the camera stops moving.

This is a premium product (premier league football) on a premium channel and their quality is on par with the old ITV Digital.

The PPV yesterday was much better.

Comments

• m&mm&m Posts: 2,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Damn, i thought it was just me who noticed this and i was about to post something similar!

Have a look at the game clock as well, it's unecessarily blurry and surely there's no excuse for that. :eek:

Compare the game clock to the score caption next to it and you see the difference.

Very poor stuff imo.
  • dsweetenhamdsweetenham Posts: 2,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some people have said that some of it is down to the fact all the games are being produced in HD for their archives. Im sure someone more technical will explain the reasons behind why the SD feed may be affected.
  • AstraZenAstraZen Posts: 810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is the sound breaking up alot aswell?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    my sound is rubbish take its a problem with the game
  • m&mm&m Posts: 2,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Malone1uk wrote:

Yes it is. :mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    The sound is very bad! IMO the picture is acceptable but why have they decided to show football in widescreen :confused:
  • dsweetenhamdsweetenham Posts: 2,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Skin54 wrote:
    The sound is very bad! IMO the picture is acceptable but why have they decided to show football in widescreen :confused:

So you can see more of the action eg movement off the ball. This is not new though its been around for a while!!

On another point the fact they are doing the football in HD seems to have freed up enough cameras to produce other programmes in widescreen eg Soccer AM and Jimmy Hill's Sunday Supplement.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    I thought Prem Plus yesterday was excellent. PQ and their new set/gfx.

SS1 right now isn't great.
  • hugonhugon Posts: 1,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Malone1uk wrote:

Glad it's just not me

Really not impressed with the picture quality this season - very noticeable on close up shots and slow mo replays, but the highlights of Pompey-Tottenham this morning were awful, looked nearly as bad as when the peace cup was on Eurosport.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    Is the PremPlus picture that much better then? I was quite impressed with the colour and sharpness of the Arsenal V Newcastle game; in comparison to last seasons football on Sky.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeh, the sound keeps on breaking up, and I thought the picture quality was good. Looks like I'm not looking very hard!

Lets hope the other live game is better!
  • tellyadicttellyadict Posts: 4,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Call this a conspiracy theory but are Sky making the picture quality worse so HD looks even better or is it because we all have better TVs than a few years ago which show the failings of SD broadcasting.
  • DaisyGDaisyG Posts: 290
    Forum Member
    I haven't noticed the picture quality but the sound keeps breaking up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought this thread was going to be how good the quality was:)

Watching on a bog standard CRT (4:3) and it's looks very good although the Prem+ looked better on my LCD (apart from the photoshopped scoreline) and the sound is an annoying problem.

Oh well, back to the game:)
  • againstpaytvagainstpaytv Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    Watching on Sky Sport 1 Italia, picture is perfect as usual, crystal clear, no problems with english lingua audio.

Just to let you know to, both Sky Sport Extra & Sky Sport 16:9 are launching in Italia on 1st steptember, & 16:9 - tonight!

I hope sport 16:9 will show premier league in 16:9! they plan to show serie a in it starting with trofeo berlusconi tonight. milano vs. juventus.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clock looks fine to me sounds perfect for me and as a Man U fan, the score line is perfect for me :D
  • PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There also appears to be a 3d effect on the scorebar in the top left hand corner which just looks wrong.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PhilH36 wrote:
    There also appears to be a 3d effect on the scorebar in the top left hand corner which just looks wrong.
    IMO i think that looks cool, its not to much of a 3d but atleast its not like the normal score cards
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even my mum notice the picture difference on Sky Sports from last season I didn't. This season seams to be gone even darker I might have to buy some lightbulbs!!. :mad:
  • colly_tygcolly_tyg Posts: 1,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's see what the picture is like for the Wigan game. Sound is still breaking up in the studio at Wigan.
  • gs1gs1 Posts: 8,392
    Forum Member
    I thought the picture quality was acceptable, but the sound has been breaking-up throughout Super Sunday this afternoon.

Problems are going to happen though from time-to-time with live coverage/ satellite transmissions etc., so I think that realistically, we have to accept an occasional bad day.
  • fossmanfossman Posts: 332
    Forum Member
    Anyone else notice the test card popping up a few times during the match?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 97
    Forum Member
    Yes saw the test card also and sound problems. Pretty poor success they had with the first live game of the season...

I think the detailed grass pattern attributed to the picture quality. I've seen this before on digital channels. They really should reduce the digital compression rate. I reckon they should set a limit of 4 channels on transponders with sports channels. The blurry grass is more and more visible as screens get better and bigger...

I've often seen sport satellite feeds and most times I'm amazed how good quality it could be if it was not for digital compression.
  • againstpaytvagainstpaytv Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    Also the testcard game up on the twi program
  • farfar Posts: 3,697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TWI is basically the Sky pictures overlaid with their own graphics with packages of highlights and (usually) a taped interview and preview around half time and I believe the whole feed is in 4:3. I watched the Chelsea match via a channel carrying the TWI feed and it looked appaling - more akin to the quality of the Liverpool match on ITV a few weeks ago.