'2Point4 Children'

FashionFashion Posts: 5,017
Forum Member
Is it me or was '2Point4 Children' one of the best family sitcoms of the 1990s I remember all the episodes since 1992,and I was born in '89!. It would come on every Friday at 20.30. I also think its extremely tragic that leading actor Gary Olsen died so very very young- if it wasn't for his unfortunate death I believe '2point4 Children' would be still as strong today as it was then.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,169
    Forum Member
    Wouldn't say I remembered every episode but I hope I'm pretty close! One of my favourite episodes was the weird one with the neighbours who Ben thought were vampires, I remember watching that ep one night when I was young and it scared me to death!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brill sitcom
    am watching every episode uktv gold at the moment

didnt gary olsen die of cancer that was tragic

he was hilarious in 2.4
  • FashionFashion Posts: 5,017
    Forum Member
    Wouldn't say I remembered every episode but I hope I'm pretty close! One of my favourite episodes was the weird one with the neighbours who Ben thought were vampires, I remember watching that ep one night when I was young and it scared me to death!

Same here lol
  • stirlingguy1stirlingguy1 Posts: 7,038
    Forum Member
    It was quite good for its time though does begin to look suprisingly dated today. Belinda Lang was brill - where is she now?!! Anyone remember the episode where that woman dressed up as Hitler in it?
  • FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    'It's that bloody Thatcher' :D

2.4 was loosely based on Roseanne, but often went off of flights of fantasy. (How cute was Angelo in series 1!)
  • James2001James2001 Posts: 73,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Remember- Series 3 DVD is out on Monday!
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I love 2.4 Children as it was filmed quite often in my home town of Folkestone and also nearby Ashford. I can remember when they were filming one time on Sandgate Road and I saw Belinda Lang in her car. I looked over and waved,so I guess that ended up on the cutting room floor!

If you see the episode with the hairdressers called Manor. One of my old friends is in it in the background trying hard not to laugh!

I can remember when Christine was dressed up as Hitler. I think she was one of the best characters as she was just as sarcastic as Bill and could hold her own well.

Belinda Lang does a lot of stage work these days. I often see her in plays.
  • James2001James2001 Posts: 73,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pup100 wrote:
    brill sitcom
    am watching every episode uktv gold at the moment

didnt gary olsen die of cancer that was tragic

he was hilarious in 2.4

Yes, he did. They were planning a 9th series of the show, but due to obvious reaosns, it was never made.

BTW, does anyone knwo what sort of cancer it was? All the reports I've read just say "cancer", which doesn't give much away.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love 2.4 Children as it was filmed quite often in my home town of Folkestone and also nearby Ashford. I can remember when they were filming one time on Sandgate Road and I saw Belinda Lang in her car. I looked over and waved,so I guess that ended up on the cutting room floor!

If you see the episode with the hairdressers called Manor. One of my old friends is in it in the background trying hard not to laugh!

I can remember when Christine was dressed up as Hitler. I think she was one of the best characters as she was just as sarcastic as Bill and could hold her own well.

Belinda Lang does a lot of stage work these days. I often see her in plays.

So Chiswick was really Folkestone and Ashford. You learn something new everyday. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    i love 2.4 and hate it when people try and tell me My Family is the next generation of the show, to me, My Family is 2.4 with all the comedy removed!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am watching them all on UKTV Gold it was a great epp last night - really funny lol :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 238
    Forum Member
    I actually think that it is imposible to hear the piano in the 2.4 themetune and not get an overwhelming sense of happiness and calm.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,169
    Forum Member
    Belinda Lang was in an episode of Rosemary and Thyme last year. Not looking any different, I must say.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    I used to love 2.4 children on the BBC. It was a very funny family comedy, and there is nothing really like it on telly today except for maybe "My Family" which I don't find has funny.

My favourite episode was when they took in that foreign exchange student and mistakenly they thought he was connected with the Mafia.
  • Loz_FraggleLoz_Fraggle Posts: 5,758
    Forum Member
    Fizzbin wrote:
    'It's that bloody Thatcher' :D

2.4 was loosely based on Roseanne, but often went off of flights of fantasy. (How cute was Angelo in series 1!)

Used to love it when she blamed everything and anything on Thatcher, rightly so in some cases obviously, but that one where David had been taken ill and they were in the hospital and she was blocking the doorway ranting about Thatcher.. :D
  • CampcrusaderCampcrusader Posts: 3,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember a couple of episodes in particular. There was an episode where Ben ended up as Number 6 from the classic 1960s show The Prisoner, and the episode where Bill had a job interview, and en route managed to lose her shoes and umbrella, got rained on, and arrived for the interview wearing trainers with the print of a newspaper on her forehead!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't they replace the daughter after 1 or 2 series? One of those twins from Grange Hill got the job, I think?

I always quite fancied Julia Hills, the next door neighbour (Rhona?). I remembered her from "Who Dares Wins", a very funny sketch show from C4, with Tony Robinson, Jimmy Mulville, Rory McGrath and Philip Pope. Can you believe I've just remembered all those names!? :)
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Clare Woodgate played the original porcelain looking Jenny.
    Clare Buckfield played Jenny from Series 3.
  • FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    I always quite fancied Julia Hills, the next door neighbour (Rhona?). I remembered her from "Who Dares Wins", a very funny sketch show from C4, with Tony Robinson, Jimmy Mulville, Rory McGrath and Philip Pope. Can you believe I've just remembered all those names!? :)
    I can!

Julia Hills is sometimes in Casualty, playing paramedic Woody's mother (still looking good).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im so glad someone started a thread on this show. It really was brilliant. The first time a sitcom focused on a woman (with the posible exception of butterflies).

I often watch the uk gold re-runs but the beeb could repeat it rather than only fools and horses all the time!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thats' factually incorrect - what about To The Manor Born or Keeping Up Appearances.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh yeah. Sorry, its been a long day! Im talking crap as per usual! But in a domestic situation comedy 2.4 chilldren was a ground breaker!
  • greygrey Posts: 5,025
    Forum Member
    I too remember all the episodes of the series and the humour has stood the test of time brilliantly
    My two favourite episodes are the "Big Spender" one where they find Shirley Bassey's wardrobe and the "Blues Brothers" episode where Ben and David help Jenny in her song contest.
    It was tragic about Gary Olsen. He died in Australia at the age of 42.
    Not seen David in anything recently
  • neilnneiln Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    I appeared in the very first episode as an extra. I was a kid walking to school. My one and only part on TV. Did it because of a friend who's dad was an agent. It got me a day off school and £50.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So sad about Gary Olsen! :cry:

I dont think the lad that played David has done much since but is his Brother in Hollyoaks? Maybe im imagining that?!?!?!
This discussion has been closed.