Pc Guard Now Available

Comments

• VoyagerWebsitesVoyagerWebsites Posts: 808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A little problem with the firewall, when opeing IE i get a page cannot be displayed, when refreshing page loads up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    getting that aswell in IE and FF (in FF I get this document contains no data )

have BY got a support forum for this ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, not to be rude or anything but..

In no specific order..

[1] cant connect and register with the by cache enabled.

- Dont have this problem

[2] installs without scanning the pc first which is pretty poor..

- I can..do..that..myself.. :confused:

[3] remove ad-aware??... like hell I will!!

- You could always install it back on after the installer is finished.

[4] lets progs connect to the net before asking if it should be allowed.

- Problem.

[5] AV scanning falls over when doing a sys scan if the allow net access pop up appears.

- I dont know because this hasn't happened to me so far

[6] no multi user account settings.

- Not bothered

[7] no pre defined parental control settings or restricted programs.

- Not Bothered

[8] no pre-defined F/W settings

- Not Bothered

[9] no wireless network/access control/support.

- Not Bothered

[10] the popup blocker is a complete waste of time.. popup control centre works a lot more effectively..

- Adblock & FF Popup Blocker does me nicely thankyou :D

[11] anti-spyware </sigh> missed kazza and a lot more..

- It found Kazaa on my system.

[12] the AV detection is criminal... it appears not to recognise any viri
    that is more than 2yrs old and out of 14,724 more recent viri it only had a detection rate of 84% .. old irc trojans etc also appear to go happily
    undetected!

- This IS a problem.

[13] can't stop any form of scheduled av/spyware scan mid-way if required, have to kill the full app/

- Again annoying but can live with it

[14] Spyware scanner picks up items that aren't even close to spyware, like VNC and UPX!

- I do understand why though. MS Antispyware picks up VNC too.
  • neo6776neo6776 Posts: 9,533
    Forum Member
    [14] Spyware scanner picks up items that aren't even close to spyware, like VNC and UPX!

lol it picked up Divx player as spyware on my laptop and desktop for some reason :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    axious wrote:
    From a regual member of BY groups.

PC Gaurd Summary:

In no specific order..

[1] cant connect and register with the by cache enabled.

[2] installs without scanning the pc first which is pretty poor..

[3] remove ad-aware??... like hell I will!!

[4] lets progs connect to the net before asking if it should be allowed.

[5] AV scanning falls over when doing a sys scan if the allow net access
    pop up appears.

[6] no multi user account settings.

[7] no pre defined parental control settings or restricted programs.

[8] no pre-defined F/W settings

[10] the popup blocker is a complete waste of time.. popup control centre
    works a lot more effectively..

[11] anti-spyware </sigh> missed kazza and a lot more..

[12] the AV detection is criminal... it appears not to recognise any viri
    that is more than 2yrs old and out of 14,724 more recent viri it only had a
    detection rate of 84% .. old irc trojans etc also appear to go happily
    undetected!

[13] can't stop any form of scheduled av/spyware scan mid-way if required, have to kill the full app/

the only good thing about this package is the firewall. even though it has
    no pre-defined settings or admin only option for granting a program net
    access it stealths all ports nicely and appears at first glance to be
    pretty effective as long as the person installing it has a clue.. and
    little billy doesnt mess!!

shame about the rest of the package, but thats what you get when you re-
    hash a 3yr old re-badged version of (IIRC) "fredom internet security" by
    zeroknowledge! i take it this was marketings choice?

TBH at this point I can't see the point in doing any more tests... email/iffy web-sites etc and needless to say this </cough> AV/FW software
    <cough/> will not be resident on any of my PCs..

Lasted less than 12 hours on my system and AVG/Ad-aware now back on!

Likewise. I think I'll stick to Avast and my inbuild MAXTHON Popup Blocker

YOU BEAT ME TO IT

I just read that and was going to post it.

McAfee , AVG, spybot and adaware will all staying for the forseeable futurew!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    A little problem with the firewall, when opeing IE i get a page cannot be displayed, when refreshing page loads up.

Are you not able to use FIREFOX?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    not able to use firefox and it keeps deleting all of my cookies.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    not able to use firefox and it keeps deleting all of my cookies.

Turn of Privacy Manager and it will stop stripping your cookies then. Works a treat for me, no issues so far.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    weesteev wrote:
    Turn of Privacy Manager and it will stop stripping your cookies then. Works a treat for me, no issues so far.

Thanks but i will hold out for a fix to the firewall for wireless internet and the issue of the page cannot be displayed.
  • Ask The DustAsk The Dust Posts: 313
    Forum Member
    I'm back to AVG and Zonealarm....

Shame.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    axious wrote:
    [12] the AV detection is criminal... it appears not to recognise any viri that is more than 2yrs old and out of 14,724 more recent viri it only had a detection rate of 84% .. old irc trojans etc also appear to go happily undetected!

I thought the AV was Command Antivirus? (Never used it but it seems to get reasonable reviews and passes the VB100% awards. http://www.virusbtn.com/)

Has anyone checked out the ShieldsUp test at http://www.grc.com/ ? When I do the common ports test is comes up as FAILED. This is due to port 1028 being closed and not stealthed. Running the test again shows the port now stealthed. (The grc site called this "adaptive behaviour" ie stealthing the port after a scan). Never had this with Zone Alarm. Is this a PCguard thing or just me :confused:

I have been using PCguard since 10th August and don't have any major complaints so far and don't think it is any worse than other free AV/Firewalls. My main concern is the firewall issue and I was happy with the AV until I read the above quote (although I note he doesn't quote the source of his figures!)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How did that guy test all of it if he would not remove his ad-aware ?

P.S mine has asked me what proggys to allow net access to all the time, not 1 proggy has got net access without it asking me so far.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,490
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    im very happy it does the job & doesnt take up loads of system resourses.
  • 20something20something Posts: 428
    Forum Member
    When i try to use it,it just keeps saying sorry pae unavailable-no internet connection. :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Davester wrote:

[12] the AV detection is criminal... it appears not to recognise any viri that is more than 2yrs old and out of 14,724 more recent viri it only had a detection rate of 84% .. old irc trojans etc also appear to go happily
    undetected!

- This IS a problem.

What by comparison is the detection rate for AVG or AVAST! I have seen varying reports which are between 75 and 80% The older viruses are a problem and I would have thought an old definition could be sorted out.

This prog is not for people who already have a firewall and AVS and AS. It is for Joe average moron who lets their PC become a zombie or filled with Spyware and viruses because they haven't a clue.
    On that basis despite its shortcomings it is better than nothing, a simple link to a few freeware progs could have achieved the same thing.
  • epsilonepsilon Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MDX wrote:
    How did that guy test all of it if he would not remove his ad-aware ?

I've installed it after removing kaspersky and zone alarm pro, I left adaware, spybot search and destroy etc installed. I'm not at all impressed with the spyware detection, it seems to have a very wide definition of spyware, even removing the likes of Ipswitch wspingpro pack amongst other internet/network tools.

I'll leave it running for a few more days but I think I will be reverting to Kaspersky and Zone Alarm Pro after that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skrjones wrote:
    On that basis despite its shortcomings it is better than nothing, a simple link to a few freeware progs could have achieved the same thing.

Conventional wisdom is that no security is preferable to poor security. Poor programs just give the average computer user a false sense of security.
  • GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    axious wrote:

my wireless network works fine
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now uninstalled... it looked nice, that's about all I can say about it. After hanging 3 times today, requiring reboots to restore internet connectivity, I have uninstalled it. I replaced it with Avast and Zone Alarm, I'm happy with Spybot S & D for spyware protection. I only wish it had been a better product.
  • neo6776neo6776 Posts: 9,533
    Forum Member
    installed it when it came out and had an initial problem with ICS but now have wireless connection and no problems on either PC nor laptop.

another fine product from Telewest :D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    I tried installing it (PC Guard) but everytime I tried when it got to the bit where is says installing driver the computers restarts (not properly, as if I had pressed the reset button), I get scan disk and then when it comes on it says my system has recoverd from a serious error. Then a new hardware found appeares saying it's found somethings called, I think it something like 'Free TPi' and when you click neext it can't find a driver, also the PC Gauard icon is on the desktop but when clicked says it can't find the PC Guard, so I just did a system restore and put McAfee back on.
  • TechnixTechnix Posts: 2,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kaspersky Lab's anti-virus technology will be used to scan all incoming and outgoing emails to protect blueyonder customers from viruses.

Read the rest here: http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=12502&Page=1&pagePos=8
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    As telewest like kaspersky so much why don't they give us that instead of pc guard?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    I installed PC Guard after removing programs it said would conflict. Now when I click on a link that should open a new window in Internet Explorer 6, it fails to open the new window & Internet Explorer just freezes. I have uninstalled PC Guard & I still have this problem. Has anyone else running Windows 98 had this probelm? Any advice greatly appreciated.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 413
    Forum Member
    I've had a go with this program. It's a very good idea, covers all net annoyances and is easy to use.

It's a shame it kept causing my laptop to freeze up though! I've gone back to avast! for the time being for antivirus, and Firefox with adblock covers the pop-up and ad-blocking features. I think the freezing is down to my laptop, though. It has had problems using certain anti-virus programs in the past where it would freeze.

If you can use this program, though, do so!