Options

AOL silver and Wireless Broadband???

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 116
Forum Member
Hi

I myself am on talktallk b/b with a belkin wifi router etc
but I dont know anything about AOL

I have a friend who has just had AOL Silver Broadband - but according to AOL home-network pages that wifi is not available on silver is this true or do they just not support it on this subscription.

If wifi is possible on AOL silver are there any router/modem that work well with AOL????
Thanks
Help
Ian :confused:

Ps I know this has been covered before somewhere but didnt have much luck searching the forums.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If your talking about using a router, then yes it does work
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    - just that aol wont give you any help in setting it up, if you run into problems
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ok Thats great - is there any specific router/adsl modem that works well with AOL? or will any wireless router do?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i would have thought anyone would do - as they all have the same standards attached to them, devised by a governing body - this is why you can buy any telephone in the world, plug it in (with the correct adapter) and it will work
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yep I had silver and it worked perfectly, just hoped upto 1mb (gold). The router just needs to support a PPPoE connection, not sure if all do just look out for it. My d-link dsl-604t does though it has an annoying hardware fault causing it to hum !!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for that
    OK, am farmiliar with PPPoE
    Its just i dont know a lot about aol!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 448
    Forum Member
    Ok Thats great - is there any specific router/adsl modem that works well with AOL? or will any wireless router do?

The Netgear DG834 will work fine. There's also an offical page from AOL that shows you how to configure this wireless router to AOL: http://www.aolsvc.co.uk/help/broadband/netgeardg834.html
  • Options
    risingstarrisingstar Posts: 2,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have received support from the technical helpline and I do not have an AOL supported router. I think that it depends on who you get that answers your call. Some people will offer you more advanced assistance and some will not and just email you some generic router settings that you can find on there website.

I wrote this thread yesterday, if any of you who have AOL have had the same problem in the past and have overcome it then i would appreciate it if you let me know how you did it.
    http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=272563
  • Options
    jim4bbjim4bb Posts: 3,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shaney wrote:
    The Netgear DG834 will work fine. There's also an offical page from AOL that shows you how to configure this wireless router to AOL: http://www.aolsvc.co.uk/help/broadband/netgeardg834.html

Netgear routers are easy to setup, use and are reliable. Setup a couple of linksys ones recently (WAG54G) and research seems to suggest there have been a few reliabilty issues.

I've had the older DG824UK running for a couple of years now. Gets hot but other than that no problems, the newer ones run much cooler.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whatever so long as you buy a good named router with a nice interface you can do away with the evil aol software and enjoy good surfing.

Personally I have never had need for technical support on my own hardware it's only when the companies mess you around (eg tiscali promising an upgrade and not doing it then blaming my pc, fools). With those freebie modems I'm never sure - one used to suck too much power and would kill off anythng usb + cause big probs anyway go wireless and read the manual of the router if you're unsure-it works brilliantly, honest!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Speedtouch range works well, I have had the 570 wireless router for around 2 years now, www.dslshop.co.uk
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use the BT Voyager 2100 modem/router with no problems whatsoever.
  • Options
    The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The router will work with PPPoA as well BTW.

By "it will not work" AOL mean it wil not work with the software as Silver does not support mulitple screen names, i.e. if you or member of your family still wish to use the AOL software for email etc. you have to log on using the name stored in the router