Options

Aldi DVD+R/HDD 160GB - £229

RogRog Posts: 1,780
Forum Member
✭✭✭
It's a TEVION 160GB DVD/HDD recorder in-store 1 Sept. +RW format and plays DIVx as well.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    More information here if others want a complete list of information.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 80
    Forum Member
    HI,
    Does anyone have any links to reveiws of this player or maybe more detailed spec's etc?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    It's shame that it is limited in the formats it can record. Only DVD+R/+RW !
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    Anyone know if its freeview, how many tuners etc.....
  • Options
    Seymour CatSeymour Cat Posts: 1,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No where on the spec does it mention Freeview. It mentions everything but. As a digital tuner would be a major selling point, I think it's safe to assume it does not have one.

Bit crap really. Although if you live in an area where the analogue signal will be switched off by 2008 you'll be able to take it back because it will still be under guarantee. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it were a Freeview tuner it would be the first in the world. I don't think it's likely with Aldi. Good shop. Electricals? Not for me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Rog wrote:
    It's a TEVION 160GB DVD/HDD recorder in-store 1 Sept. +RW format and plays DIVx as well.

can anyone say if my old dvd copies will play on this new machine in aldi's? i have vcd and svcd and still watch these frrom time to time, will they play on this dvd recorder as i never seen vcd or svcd in the specs, if not will buy the lite on 5045
    thanks
  • Options
    nvingonvingo Posts: 8,619
    Forum Member
    What's more interesting in the leaflet this was in is the remote control.
    * £4.99 *
    Tevion 8 item LEARNING remote with "biggest code database".
    I think it's from the same supplier as one I've been using by TCM at Somerfield (£9.99)
    Mine has a "thumbstick" contol for direction & select/OK which is not robust.
    First handset went back within a week because thumbstick broke.
    Living with a failed one at the moment.

The ALDI Tevion has normal buttons for direction & select/OK so it should be more robust.
    Also has more buttons (TCM doubles RGYB with VCR transport, Tevion dosn't)
    Also has more informative LCD clock and I/R database code.
    I'll be gettin 2.
  • Options
    nvingonvingo Posts: 8,619
    Forum Member
    MarkBeer wrote:
    More information here if others want a complete list of information.

Pity about the terminology.
    TIMESHIFT is what we use our VCRs and DVDRs for

TIMESLIP is the feature that lets you pause live TV. This MAY also allow you to play another recording whilst making a new one.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    Hi All Just in case anyone is interested, here is the spec as per Leaflet. Delivery to ALDI is expected on Sept. 1st.

Timeshift Function - Play and Record simultaneously and pause live tv. DVD+R/+RW recorder. MP3 CD/JPEG compatible. Convenient DVD edit functions (divide or delete chapters. One touch recording. Timer recording. VideoPlus and PDC for easy recording. Integrated AC3 Dolby Digital decoders. Sound digital out. PAL/NTSC compatible. NICAM stereo. On screen display.. Playback DVD.R DVD RW CD.R CD.RW JPEG. DIVA. Auto CD. MP3.CD. DIVA 3 4 5 and MPEG4 compatibility: Records up to 6 hours DVD and 204 hours on the HDD. SOCKETS: S/Video in and out. Audio in & out. (RCA) Component out. (RCA) Digital audio out. 2 Euro scart sockets. Progressive scan. Includes remote control and 1 blank DVD+ RW disk. :)
    PS: There seems to be no mention of FREEVIEW. (pity) :(
    I'll probably have a look at it on Thursday morning...

Ronald
  • Options
    GoogoletGoogolet Posts: 116
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know if this is a multi-region DVD player?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There seems to be no mention of FREEVIEW.
    It has PDC so definitely isn't Freeview.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know the dimensions of this HDD/DVD recorder?

im interested in the depth of it due to the size & shape of my cabinet

Slim
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hi. Just had a look at the ALDI leaflet, unfortunately it does'nt mention the size of the box. (Everything else)
    However, I'll have a look to-morrow (Thursday) and try to measure it. (Must remember to take a tape measure :) Will let you know when I have the dimensions. (HxWxD) OK..

Post you soon
    Ronald
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    h if you live in an area where the analogue signal will be switched off by 2008 you'll be able to take it back because it will still be under guarantee. :rolleyes:

No you can't, it's sold as a method to receive and record PAL transmissions, it will still be able to record PAL after switch-off, there just won't be any to record. It would still be capable of fulfilling the role it was designed for.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    rhubarbe wrote:
    If it were a Freeview tuner it would be the first in the world. I don't think it's likely with Aldi. Good shop. Electricals? Not for me.

Sony are doing one romour has it September 15th
  • Options
    Seymour CatSeymour Cat Posts: 1,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Geordie_Cy wrote:
    No you can't, it's sold as a method to receive and record PAL transmissions, it will still be able to record PAL after switch-off, there just won't be any to record. It would still be capable of fulfilling the role it was designed for.

I was kind of kidding. This :rolleyes: was your clue.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    does anyone know if this plays vcd or svcd?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This unit has the least intuitive recording managment for hard disc recorded programmes I have -ever- seen, btw.

Manual seems to be for a previous revision of the software, although if you apply a bit of lateral thinking you can figure out what they changed along the way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hi All. Having visited ALDI this morning, there seemed to be an aweful lot of interest in this TEVION DVD Recorder.

Someone asked for the box dimensions, (not mentioned on the outside of the box nor anywhere in the user's manual) anyway I measured it myself so there. :D

Dimensions are as follows: 435mmW x 310mmD x 71mmH
    (17" x 12" x 2.75")

Hope this helps
    Ronald :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member

Dimensions are as follows: 435mmW x 310mmD x 71mmH
    (17" x 12" x 2.75")

Hope this helps
    Ronald :)

thanks for the specs but I bought one this morning and it fits nicely in my TV cabinet :)

Quite a good machine on 1st impressions and a good price too

Slim
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Posts: 136
    Forum Member
    Yep I hope to be getting one soon from Aldi, doesn't look too bad for the price, all depends if people want to spend £300 to £400 on a Sony, Panasonic etc that is fine, but if this Tevion does what you want for the price that is what counts. Even when they switch of the analogue in 2008 or whenever you can still record to it from a freeview box, so no problem there. Plus you get as standard a 3 year warranty not bad at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    bought one on thursday morning, looked nice and manual very concise, trouble with this machine was that when tuning in the chanels, picture reception was crap tried to manual tune in but colour was no better and would not pick up my freeview chanels, took it back for full refund and went to dixons and bought a liteon 5045, a much better machine which records in all formats, and only £25 dearer.
  • Options
    KDHKDH Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    Bought the HDD recorder from Aldi last week. Everything seems fine on the recording side but went to play a pre-recorded DVD last night and it wasn't playing the voice track. Had the background music but nothing else. This was on a normal region 2 dvd. Have tried lots of others of varying regions - some pre-recorded, some copied - same problem on some of them, a few are playing properly and some have no sound at all! Any ideas as to what's the problem here - has anyone come across it with theirs?! It's kinda weird! If no one has any suggestions it's going back and I'll try a replacement - if they have any left - am going on holiday 2moro for 2 weeks! What fun!

Ta!