MORe4- more info!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,830
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi,

my continuing info is updated again! lol
This info has been able to the press since last thursday night, but it was embargoed till this weekend.
ANYWAY JUST SOME MORE CONFIRMED INFO.

Blunkett scandal gets launch night showcase on new public service channel from Channel 4

Channel 4’s new public service TV channel, More4, launches on Monday 10th October, with a satirical drama charting the affair between David Blunkett and Spectator publisher Kimberly Quinn taking pride of place in its opening night line-up.

The new channel, which will be available free from launch in more than 15 million UK TV homes (Ofcom’s Digital TV Update, Quarter 1 2005) via Freeview, Sky Digital and digital cable, will go on air at 8pm on 10th October and thereafter will broadcast daily from 4pm to 6am.

Its opening night highlight, A Very Social Secretary (working title), starring Bernard Hill as Blunkett, Victoria Hamilton as Quinn and Robert Lindsay as Tony Blair, is the first in a planned series of landmark, feature-length dramas and documentaries that will play monthly on Monday nights on More4.

Other Monday night landmarks in the channel’s first months on air include Animal Research (working title), a drama documentary on the contentious issue of animal experimentation and the UK TV premiere of Downfall, the Oscar nominated film portraying life in Hitler’s bunker with Bruno Ganz starring as the doomed dictator.

Peter Dale, Head of More4, said: “These are programmes of a scale and an ambition that would not seem out of place on Channel 4 itself and yet are very thin on the ground elsewhere in the digital TV universe. They sum up what we want More4 to be – a lively, outspoken and above all entertaining channel for discerning viewers who want more from digital TV than repeats, football and back-to-back acquisitions.”

Nearly two-thirds of More4’s £33 million programme budget will be spent on original, British content allowing the channel to run its own daily news bulletin and a late night topical talk show.

Sarah Smith will anchor More4 News, a half-hour bulletin broadcasting Monday to Friday at 8pm and mixing updates on the day’s main news stories with more detailed analysis of key issues. The bulletin, produced by the Channel 4 News team at ITN, will aim to give a platform to voices not normally heard in the mainstream media.

The Last Word will air Monday to Thursday at 11pm and will be presented by a rotating line-up of presenters, including David Mitchell, Mark Dolan and Stanley Johnson. They will be joined to comment on each day’s events by journalists, cultural commentators and comedians.

Oscar nominated filmmaker Morgan Spurlock will also guest present The Last Word during a week on More4 dedicated to his work. Morgan Spurlock Week includes the UK premiere of his new US documentary series, 30 Days and another chance to see his breakthrough film Super Size Me. This is the first of a series of themed weeks and seasons planned by More4 in its first year on air.

While More4 will not major on acquired programming, it will find space in its schedule for the best and most intelligent US shows. The West Wing finds a new permanent and exclusive home on More4 for its sixth season, while Larry David’s quirky US comedy, Curb Your Enthusiasm, will also enjoy a peak-time slot on the new channel. There will also be a five day a week slot after the news for The Daily Show, in which host Jon Stewart takes an irreverent look at the day’s news from around the world. Recorded on weekday evenings before a New York audience, the show will be screened the following night on More4.

Several nights a week More4 will also showcase its own, originally commissioned documentaries and documentary series, often with an international flavour. In 2005 these include Georgi and the Butterflies, Darcus Howe’s authored film, Son of Mine and Police Investigations.

More4 will also regularly showcase the best theatrically released international documentaries including The Corporation, Capturing the Friedmans and Fahrenheit 9/11 in its first three months on air. To coincide with a three-hour special on Channel 4, The 50 Greatest Documentaries, More4 will also show again some of the best films from Channel 4’s documentary archive, including Kevin Macdonald’s Touching the Void and Kim Longinotto’s Divorce Iranian Style.

There will also be a weekly film slot on More4, mixing free-to-view UK TV premieres of films such as The Magdalene Sisters and House of Mirth with British cinema classics including The Crying Game, The Madness of King George and Dance with a Stranger.

More4 will offer viewers a second chance to see the most talked about shows from Channel 4. Highlights of the Channel 4 autumn schedule that will be repeated on More4 include The Queen’s Sister, Jamie’s Great Escape, The Year London Blew Up, The Somme, Demolition, Priest Idol, The Unteachables and the second installment of David Starkey’s Monarchy.

Andy Duncan, Channel 4’s Chief Executive, added: “We’re understandably excited about our launch line-up and convinced that More4 represents a significant extension of choice for our viewers. No other commercial broadcaster in the UK would contemplate launching a free-to-air channel with the richness and creative ambition of More4, which aims to make a significant public service contribution in its own right.

“This launch will be a significant milestone in Channel 4’s history – for the first time since the launch of the original Channel 4 service we will be introducing a new public service channel to British viewers. Engaging multi-channel audiences with new channels like More4 is vital if Channel 4 is to continue punching above its weight in the fully digital TV market of the future.“

Comments

• SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    Y'know what, it seems like it's going to be a bloody decent channel; enough to make me want Freeview (despite already having Sky!)
  • londonknightlondonknight Posts: 505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It looks sooooooooooo good.

So far we know:
    The West Wing
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    The Sopranos
    Grand Designs
    Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares
    Jamie's School Dinners
    Property Ladder
    The Boy Whose Skin Fell Off
    The Corporation
    Capturing the Friedmans
    Fahrenheit 9/11
    The 50 Greatest Documentaries
    Touching the Void
    Divorce Iranian Style
    The Queen’s Sister
    Jamie’s Great Escape
    The Year London Blew Up
    The Somme
    Demolition
    Priest Idol
    The Unteachables
    Monarchy
    The Daily Show
    The Magdalene Sisters
    House of Mirth
    The Crying Game
    The Madness of King George
    Dance with a Stranger
    Gosford Park
    Georgi and the Butterflies
    Son of Mine
    Police Investigations
    The Last Word
    30 Days
    Super Size Me
    *That Blunkett Drama*

Anything else? Any wishlists?

I'd Like Frasier and Cheers to be in the lineup.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,726
    Forum Member
    i have to agree, looks great, some good titles of films thrown in there and so new shows that might make we switch over to more4 :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    Will this channel also be on NTL? As it does sound pretty amazing.
  • Tumble weedTumble weed Posts: 8,200
    Forum Member
    Are they going to be showing ER from series one? As I'm sure I heard somewhere that they will. :confused:
  • Hamlet77Hamlet77 Posts: 22,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wll f**k me, I'm impressed, I just hope it can live up to the quality of the trailer....

Does anyone think that should be sent to ITV as a teensy weensy hint of what to do with additional channels on Freeview etc.....
  • londonknightlondonknight Posts: 505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are they going to be showing ER from series one? As I'm sure I heard somewhere that they will. :confused:

Oh yeah I heard that too!
  • steveboswellsteveboswell Posts: 1,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That girl with the spoon is in fact from the film "Amelie", so it looks like there'll be an international cinema strand too - this channel just gets better and better!!

Bozz
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    Hamlet77 wrote:
    Does anyone think that should be sent to ITV as a teensy weensy hint of what to do with additional channels on Freeview etc.....

Yeah, and don't forget Sky, Flextech, Viacom...

It's just great to see a broadcaster taking digital seriously; more so than E4, which although it's got repeats, it's still a cracking channel.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd have to say that I'm impressed that channel four are placing such an important on freeview, either if it did take an ex beebs excutive to do it for them, know with both the beebs and channel four added extra content to freeview, britiains two best broadcaster will for sure lead to more freeview uptake
  • gottagogottago Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anything else? Any wishlists?

I'd Like Frasier and Cheers to be in the lineup.
    Cheers and Frasier would be great! It could be like what Friends is to E4!

Also did I see shots from Without A Trace on that trailer?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OO looks very very good!

More4 after dark looks good!
    and did I see a clip from 'City of god' in that trailer.