Options

The great PVR debate

mobilymobily Posts: 261
Forum Member
Hey all,

I, like many others, am thinking of an upgrade to my system which will include a freeview PVR. Currently I own a single tuner Pioneer DBR-TF100 and a cheap VCR to record programmes onto. An upgrade is inevitable.

The question is, which PVR to purchase! I would like the following functions.

- Record one channel and watch another
- Rewind and pause live tv
- Optical digital output
- RGB or even component output to tv
- RGB output to dvd recorder
- Large hard drive (more than 80gb)
- Ability to record series
- Ability to transfer recordings onto either dvd or vcr

I would also like to upgrade to a dvd recorder so I can rid the need for those bulky video cassettes around the house. I would like the following functions:

- DVDRW capability
- Ability to edit recordings
- Relatively Cheap
- Simple to use

The dvd recorder would probably not be used for playback so the cheaper the better really. Any recommendations gratefully received.

James :)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,528
    Forum Member
    Not your fault but this same question occurs on average about once every 2 days and the answer is always the same:

Dual tuner comparison
    Price watch

That's the standard "tools" for picking a Freeview PVR.

As for DVDR sounds like any of the supermarket sub-£100 machines would fit the bill - all the supermarkets have at least one.

Cliff
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the only Freeview PVR with over 80Gb hard drive at the moment is the Topfield, which has 160Gb.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,528
    Forum Member
    Ang wrote:
    I think the only Freeview PVR with over 80Gb hard drive at the moment is the Topfield, which has 160Gb.
    In fact he mentioned "ability to record series" so that would seem to isolate it to Tivo alone in fact but then the RGB stuff goes out the window.

No doubt Rhubarbe will be along in a minute to recommend some behemoth panacea that costs the same as a Ford Fiesta or similar :p (but at least achieves everything on the wishlist)

Cliff
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Toppy can record by keyword with the correct TAP can't it? That is as close to series link you can get with a DTT PVR I believe.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope, sorry Cliff. Even the four tuner Fiesta Ghia uses the Freeview EPG so that's my usual recommendation up the Swannie. :P
  • Options
    mobilymobily Posts: 261
    Forum Member
    Thanks for all your replies. I wasn't aware there was no product on the market that met my criteria! The series link isn't too important and I think that most pvrs have a time link where you can record the same time each week?

Interesting to know that a sub £100 DVDR will fit the bill. Would such a model also be capable of copying all my videos onto DVD and then editing out advert breaks for example?

Thanks for all your help :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mobily wrote:
    Interesting to know that a sub £100 DVDR will fit the bill. Would such a model also be capable of copying all my videos onto DVD and then editing out advert breaks for example?

Thanks for all your help :)

In a word, "yes"! :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mobily wrote:
    Bestbear wrote:
    In a word, "yes"! :)
    Unfortunately it's not as straightforward as that. If the machine is a +R/+RW Philips derivative (which most of them are), then IIRC the edits you make to hide chapters on a +R disc may not work in a different standalone player. You'll probably have to use a +RW disc and make edits compatible for chapters to be interpreted correctly.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mobily wrote:
    Thanks for all your replies. I wasn't aware there was no product on the market that met my criteria!

Welcome to the Vapourware Club. Become a member like all of us.