Options

Be 24Mbps - www.bethere.co.uk

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 511
Forum Member
✭✭
Has anyone else signed up to Be yet (24Mbps d/l, and 1Mbps upload)? I signed up yesterday, migrating away from Plusnet.

Product details here

Sign-ups before 18th, get September free and then £20pm for life after that. Also good referral scheme - referrer and new customer get one month free. After 24 referrals, your connection is free for life.

Is this available across a lot of exchanges in London or just the odd few? I'm on the LNSTF London Stratford exchange.

Comments

• Options
    kr1s69kr1s69 Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    with call centre and technical support in India, i wouldn't want to be trialling any service :(
    No offence to India intended, but i don't think they can offer the same support service as a UK based centre. Knowledge is irrelevant if they can't understand your accent and you can't understand theirs.
  • Options
    KIIS102KIIS102 Posts: 8,539
    Forum Member
    Im kind of thinking about signing up with BE not made my mind up yet but the offer of a free router worth £115 is very tempting.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,440
    Forum Member
    KIIS102 wrote:
    Im kind of thinking about signing up with BE not made my mind up yet but the offer of a free router worth £115 is very tempting.
    I read on the site yesterday, but can't find it now, that it remains their property, and has to be returned if you cancel at any time.
  • Options
    dslrocksdslrocks Posts: 7,208
    Forum Member
    KIIS102 wrote:

I've had a quick leaf through the T&Cs, but the "Be Box" does not become your property. It's loaned to you, much like when you get cable - the modem is hired to you and you must return it if you leave.

The terms and conditions are a bit fuzzy though - they have a clause that says: -
    If it's felt that any member's Internet activities are so excessive that other members are detrimentally affected, Be may give the member generating the excessive web traffic a written warning (by email or otherwise). In extreme circumstances, should the levels of activity not immediately decrease after the warning, Be may terminate that member's services.

They don't give a figure as to what is "excessive" usage is. I'd love to be able to get this but I seem to live out in the sticks as far as they're concerned. They don't seem to talk in detail about ports (if any) they block.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Found it
    What equipment does Be provide?

Be will provide you with a welcome pack, including a Be Box wireless modem. This Be Box remains the property of Be and you will need to take good care of the Be Box modem and associated cables and filters while it is leased to you.

Upon termination of your contract, the Be Box modem should be returned, together with all cables and the filters, to: Net Lynk, Be Return Centre, PBI MID25921, Roman Park, Roman Way, Coleshill, Birmingham, B46 1HG. Any equipment not returned to us will be subject to a fee of ?100 (we'll assume you like it so much that you want to keep it, and we naturally need to be reimbursed for its replacement cost).

If your Be Box modem is faulty, Be will repair or replace it, providing the fault is not caused by abuse or negligence while in your care. Do bear in mind that while leasing the Be Box, you are only permitted to connect to the Be network, or a network approved by Be.

Bugger that.
  • Options
    jim4bbjim4bb Posts: 3,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dslrocks wrote:
    They don't give a figure as to what is "excessive" usage.

No such thing as a free lunch, sounds like they are the +net of tomorrow. As I've said before if you want a truly unlimited service your going to have to pay for it, £20 will not cover it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'll stick with UKOnline...at least you know where you are with them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    10bellies wrote:

Yes, blocked ports, 12 month contract 'n all! Even on the lowly 512kbps service, which I would get if it were not for the port blocking and 12 month contract. :mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dslrocks wrote:
    Yes, blocked ports, 12 month contract 'n all! Even on the lowly 512kbps service, which I would get if it were not for the port blocking and 12 month contract. :mad:
    Doesn't particularly effect me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    10bellies wrote:
    Doesn't particularly effect me.

Fair enough - horses for courses IMO.

Broadband is a bit of a minefield these days - you can't get an 'unlimited' slow speed (i.e. 512kbps) connection - it's either low priced low capped 1/2Mbit connections or high priced uncapped/FUP'ed/capped 1/2Mbit connection with various other strings attached such as port blocks/contracts/other.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kr1s69 wrote:
    with call centre and technical support in India, i wouldn't want to be trialling any service :(
    No offence to India intended, but i don't think they can offer the same support service as a UK based centre. Knowledge is irrelevant if they can't understand your accent and you can't understand theirs.

Didn't have any trouble when I called their call centre - both sales and support. Certainly not as bad as Sky's dodgy call centre!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    DLMatthews wrote:
    Didn't have any trouble when I called their call centre - both sales and support. Certainly not as bad as Sky's dodgy call centre!!

Well I was worried too and called their call centre three times and so far so good. I didn't have any problem to be understood and you could hear that they were well trained. Beside since it's a pilot I guess they will ask us some feedback about the service in general to rectify any issues that might arise. ;)

The only thing I'm concerned about is to have my line activated and still waiting for the bebox modem...... :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only thing I'm concerned about is to have my line activated and still waiting for the bebox modem...... :eek:

I shouldn't have any problems if it is late, as I'm sure my Speedtouch 580 supports ADSL2+. I've got it to be delivered to work anyway, so I don't miss the delivery.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They said that i was to far from my local exchange.

How can this be when i am able to receive the full 2meg that bt offer and im only about 1.5 miles from my exchange probably even less.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That shouldn't be too far!

Do you have line stats from your ADSL router? That may allow a guestimate of your max speed on ADSL2+.

Also, see this chart for a rough guide to the speed available against the distance from your Exchange.

If you want to get the straight line distance to your exchange, then use this checker.

I'm hoping for near max speed (been told previously that ADSL2+ should get up to 22-24Mbps on my line, which is only approx 400m). And its all coming free at the moment - Be giving September free, plus I have a few referrals which each give me a month free (and the friends I referred each get 1 month free).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How would i be able to get line stats from my adsl router?

Its a speedtouch 330
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not available on the Speedtouch 330. :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DLMatthews wrote:
    That shouldn't be too far!

Do you have line stats from your ADSL router? That may allow a guestimate of your max speed on ADSL2+.

Also, see this chart for a rough guide to the speed available against the distance from your Exchange.

If you want to get the straight line distance to your exchange, then use this checker.

I'm hoping for near max speed (been told previously that ADSL2+ should get up to 22-24Mbps on my line, which is only approx 400m). And its all coming free at the moment - Be giving September free, plus I have a few referrals which each give me a month free (and the friends I referred each get 1 month free).
    Do you guys realise that most websites are not optimised for speeds that high? Anything above 2mb is not 'supported' by most sites. That's the reason I want to go with UKOnline 512k-2mb.

10bellies wrote:
    dslrocks wrote:
    I'm planning on joining UKOnline. Do they use Port Throttling?!

They block p2p and stuff?

Do you know the specific port numbers (or range) blocked?
  • Options
    FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    DLMatthews wrote:
    I'm on the LNSTF London Stratford exchange.
    Hello neighbour! :)

I'll be signing up with them. I'm going to wait as long as I can, to see if they are a legit company & they do send these routers out to people.

Alas I am 3.05 km from the exchange, so who knows what speed I'll get, but hopefully I will get a much improved upstream speed (which is what I'm after!).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PM me in a week or so, and I'll provide you with an update if you like. :)

Hopefully I'll be singing their praises (not bitching about them due to no net connection, no modem, etc etc). LOL
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seven wrote:
    Do you guys realise that most websites are not optimised for speeds that high? Anything above 2mb is not 'supported' by most sites. That's the reason I want to go with UKOnline 512k-2mb.

Well considering I'm paying £21.99 per month for 2Mbps, I'd say moving to £20 per month for up to 24Mbps is a wise move. ;)

Besides, its not for web browsing that you'll see much benefit. More for file sharing, downloads, FTP's, and in particular uploads (4-fold increase to 1Mbps).
  • Options
    kr1s69kr1s69 Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DLMatthews wrote:
    Not available on the Speedtouch 330. :(

Actually, you can get attenuation and SNR figures from the speedtouch 330 :)

Go to http://www.speedtouch.co.uk/330.asp and download "Dr SpeedTouch" from the tools section.

Install the program and run "Diagnostics".

Right Click the icon in your system tray >>
    Advanced >>
    "Write log to disk"

Now open the log file in IE (its in .xml format so you may have to set IE to open it).
    You should now be able to see your line stats amongst a lot of other information.

The stats you are looking for are:-

ReceiveAttenuation_dB=
    ReceiveMargin_dB=
    SendAttenuation_dB=
    SendMargin_dB=

I got this info from a fellow plusnet user, Kitz, just in case anyone thinks i stole it :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I stand corrected - I obviously never bothered installing DrSpeedtouch!!!!
  • Options
    jim4bbjim4bb Posts: 3,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DLMatthews wrote:
    Besides, its not for web browsing that you'll see much benefit. More for file sharing, downloads, FTP's, and in particular uploads (4-fold increase to 1Mbps).

Have you got a definitive answer on what they class as excessive useage ? No point jumping out of the frying pan into the fire.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No-one has got anything definitive out of them, no.

I was wanting to leave PlusNet anyway (hence ordering Bulldog 8Mbps on a new line on 30/07/05). Seeing as Bulldog can't give me any idea when they plan to install, I saw Be as the next best option - especially considering I've got about 4-5 months free now through referrals.

I'm not an excessive downaloader myself - I just like to be able to get what I want, when I want - not wait an age to get in downloaded (or uploaded).