Options

Victoria Derbyshire R5..opinions?

SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭✭
I did have a search but couldn't find a thread on her.

What do people think of her...the five live presenter on the 9-12pm slot?

I used to love her on the 'Breakfast Show' because she had a good banter with the lovely Julian Worwickshire *sigh* but since she has moved to this slot, I turn off my radio. It used to be my favourite slot too...Nicky Campbell and Fi Glover were so brilliant in it.

I hate the way she talks over the callers and people she is interviewing, basically she loves the sound of her own voice and I just don't like her on her own to be honest. She is better with someone, as she does have a very dry wit.

I wondered how the listening figures have been in the last year since she has been on (not that she is on alot, she seems to miss a few shows?) compared to Fi and Nicky's stints?

I may be being mean as I was a huge Fi Glover fan, and never really could take to Victoria after hearing what happened between Fi and her..but I don't think it was even just that, as I did try to get into her new show?

Is it just me, or do any other listeners feel the same way. :(

Comments

• Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, she was good on Breakfast but isn't quite right for the long solo mid-morning show. Yesterday she was interviewing someone from HMV about their music download service and the questions she was asking were so banal and badly thought out; the gist of one of them was "how are you going to get middle-aged people to download music?" which was both ageist and completely missed the point.

The show's OK but it's not as good as it should be. Simon Mayo gets better guests and has the confidence to handle a wider range of topics without waffling. Which is strange because Victoria Derbyshire is presumably a trained journalist. And she still makes that "mmm" noise when she's doing telephone interviews.
  • Options
    television2004television2004 Posts: 2,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inkblot wrote:
    Yes, she was good on Breakfast but isn't quite right for the long solo mid-morning show. Yesterday she was interviewing someone from HMV about their music download service and the questions she was asking were so banal and badly thought out; the gist of one of them was "how are you going to get middle-aged people to download music?" which was both ageist and completely missed the point.

The show's OK but it's not as good as it should be. Simon Mayo gets better guests and has the confidence to handle a wider range of topics without waffling. Which is strange because Victoria Derbyshire is presumably a trained journalist. And she still makes that "mmm" noise when she's doing telephone interviews.

Before joining Radio 5 she used to be the morning presenter on BBC GMR (Manchester). I did not think much of her then. Her replacement on GMR Heather Stott is far more down to earth and always states her mind.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I totally agree inkblot.

I guess she is just a presenter who bounces off others. I used to see her on that sports show on C4 and thought she looked dead awkward in front of the camera.

But maybe I am just miffed because of what she did to my beloved Fi. :(

I'd prefer Anita Annand in her spot as she is very natural and makes me laugh.

I don't know the lady you refer to Television. But glad to see it is not just me!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    So what did she do to your beloved Fi??!

I'm almost intrigued...
  • Options
    Eric B.Eric B. Posts: 249
    Forum Member
    RadioFiend wrote:
    So what did she do to your beloved Fi??!

I'm almost intrigued...

Well... and I'm sure others may have more info....

The father of Victoria's child is Fi's ex-husband.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eric B. wrote:
    Well... and I'm sure others may have more info....

The father of Victoria's child is Fi's ex-husband.

Yes..sorry, I thought it was common knowledge!

Fi was married for not very long,(I remember her talking about getting married and all) and her hubby was the producer on Victoria's show or one of the shows on Radio 5, and she had an 'alledged' affair with Fi's hubby, he left Fi, and now him and Victoria have a baby and she has Fi's morning slot, and Fi has left the station. :(

There was alot of coverage of it in the papers..so I do hope I am not speaking out of turn.
  • Options
    R300R300 Posts: 2,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Between Victoria and Dotun Adebayo, they are the two who get the most slating on the Five Live forum on the BBC. Have to agree, she was better on Breakfast than she is now.

Didn't she get moved after a few 'spats' with Nicky Campbell, he's alleged to have reduced her to tears a few times.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    R300 wrote:
    Between Victoria and Dotun Adebayo, they are the two who get the most slating on the Five Live forum on the BBC. Have to agree, she was better on Breakfast than she is now.

Didn't she get moved after a few 'spats' with Nicky Campbell, he's alleged to have reduced her to tears a few times.

Yes she did. What it was to do with I do not know. Whether it was the above or other stuff..but yes, it was reported in many papers, she cried on air through something he said.

However, I do love Nicky and I love Dotun too..being a night owl, I listen to him all the time! He gets a bit emotional sometimes..but taht isn't a bad thing at all imo. :)

I gave up looking on the five live forum..never been a member but used to lurk, and wondered why anyone there listened to five live as no one ever had a good word to say about it! :confused: :rolleyes:
  • Options
    R300R300 Posts: 2,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bohochick wrote:

I gave up looking on the five live forum..never been a member but used to lurk, and wondered why anyone there listened to five live as no one ever had a good word to say about it! :confused: :rolleyes:

I'm like you, I read the forum every other day or so, never 'joined up' and wonder why their members ever listen to 5Live. Hardly any of them can stand the station at all.

We all like to criticise things now and then, but they never stop.....
  • Options
    latenightjockylatenightjocky Posts: 245
    Forum Member
    well, for my two-penneth, I listen to 5 Live quite a lot and I like what I hear!
    And I think Victoria Derbyshire is a quality presenter who handles herself very professionally.
    Fi Glover was also quality, but was never quite right for the mid-morning slot - better on late nights IMHO.
  • Options
    occasional postoccasional post Posts: 6,446
    Forum Member
    I think there's a fairly strong agreement here. Victoria was great on breakfast but I think needs another presenter to work with and feed off. What she does or has done in her personal life is of no interest to me and certainly wouldn;t "put me off" her.

Actually I haven't heard her sister for a while (Alex) - is she still doing the news?
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually I haven't heard her sister for a while (Alex) - is she still doing the news?
    Good question. I wasn't sure if they were sisters - Alex's voice is different from Victoria's with a more noticeable accent, but it's a good voice and made a nice change when she read the news.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alex hasn't been on the Presenters page on the 5 live website for a long time (must be at least a year). No idea where she is now though.

I am not a Victoria Derbyshire fan. I agree with the OP she likes the sound of her own voice too much and does not have the best telephone manner with callers. I didn't like her on the breakfast show, I got the opinion (which may be completely wrong) that she resented being the *junior* presenter when working with JW, and when NC joined, although she was deemed the 'senior' presenter, she still had to read the news, which is traditionally one of the juniors tasks.

In my opinion, there is normally a more interesting phone-in topic on talkSport and that Ian Collins or Mike Dicken are much more listenable to than Victoria Derbyshire.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    rdaniells wrote:
    Alex hasn't been on the Presenters page on the 5 live website for a long time (must be at least a year). No idea where she is now though.

I am not a Victoria Derbyshire fan. I agree with the OP she likes the sound of her own voice too much and does not have the best telephone manner with callers. I didn't like her on the breakfast show, I got the opinion (which may be completely wrong) that she resented being the *junior* presenter when working with JW, and when NC joined, although she was deemed the 'senior' presenter, she still had to read the news, which is traditionally one of the juniors tasks.

In my opinion, there is normally a more interesting phone-in topic on talkSport and that Ian Collins or Mike Dicken are much more listenable to than Victoria Derbyshire.
    I couldn't disagree more. Victoria Derbyshire's show is miles better than the neo-nazi morning show on Talksport.At least the Beeb keep the expert guests on so the callers can speak to them,wheras on Talksport the experts are binned after about 10 minutes so the likes of Dickin and Collins don't sound like total morons( that's the plan,which fails miserably).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I very rarely listen to Talk sport..so have no idea. Though I do like Mike Dicken on the few times I have heard him, as he tells it like it is...whether you agree or not.

Occasional post.. I know I should not be worried what someone has done in their personal life..and I did try to like her show...but I just couldn't. :( I think it was more to do with the way she is, than how she has behaved in her personal life...I think so anyway. Hard to be sure!! :D

But I don't usually judge 'celebs' on what they do outside their professional lifes.

I just find her a bit arrogant now, and for all the reasons rdaniells says and I think I would anyway, without the whole other stuff...I think!:D

R300..I am with you. That is why I have never joined the five live boards...they hate everything that is on five live..which is bizarre to me! Why do they listen!

I love five live..it has been a constant friend for many years for me....but I think if I put that on the five live boards..I might be shot down! :eek: :D
  • Options
    iain_smithiain_smith Posts: 1,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    im pleased that Matthew Bannister quit the late night slot as he turned the s how into a laughing stock as far a sim concerned..full of trivia
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    Interesting to read this now (with the benefit of hindsight).

I have just written to Fivelive, asking when Victoria will return. I too didn't like her at all at first but she has won me over.

Having Matthew Bannister doing her show is, in my mind, a major mistake. His argumentative style and constant interruptions have really p***ed me off lately.

On the other hand, Phil Williams makes an excellent stand-in.

Come back Victoria - All is forgiven.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    I agree with bapak - anything and anyone makes for better listening than Jon Gaunt. After a couple of minutes of his show you are yearning for the dulcet voices and reasoned debate of Five Live.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    R300 wrote:

Campbell drove me to tears..but for different reasons.I've met him - he's an arrogant and pompous sod.Remember when he was putting it about that he would be presenting Newsnight ? I cried - laughing. :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote:
    Campbell drove me to tears..but for different reasons.I've met him - he's an arrogant and pompous sod.

Thank god, someone else who thinks that, all my mates reckon he is funny, He is grating and unfunny,
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bubbadog wrote:
    On the other hand, Phil Williams makes an excellent stand-in.

Phil Williams should have a full time slot.

However he's doing a lot of other stuff at the moment. Stand in at XFM, and he does some Channel 4 Radio Podcasts too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 269
    Forum Member
    Longboy wrote:
    Thank god, someone else who thinks that, all my mates reckon he is funny, He is grating and unfunny,

He got very precious about his name once. A guy innocently called him "Nick...." "MAY NAME IS NICKY" came the response instantly!!! Yes, the caller did call him by another name, but really he did take it very hard!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote:
    Campbell drove me to tears..but for different reasons.I've met him - he's an arrogant and pompous sod.Remember when he was putting it about that he would be presenting Newsnight ? I cried - laughing. :p

Tell us more. Why do you think he was an arrogant and pompous sod? I would love to have my prejudice backed up :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ftv wrote:

You didn't meet him on Watchdog where he tore into your substandard product or service did you?
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dynamoe88 wrote:
    You didn't meet him on Watchdog where he tore into your substandard product or service did you?
    Nope,I don't sell products - sub-standard or otherwise - nor do I provide any commercial services to anyone, in fact I like Watchdog although I feel it is not aggressive enough in pursuing con men and women. :(