Options

SKY+ new Software Update problems thread

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 223
Forum Member
I thought i's start a new thread for people to list any problems they are having since Skys new software update(I wish they'd give up this update business til they get a decent software development manager).

We can gather up intfo on problems experienced

SKY+ Pace v2.

Freezes during playback of any recorded material.
Several programs gone from planner
Shuts down of its own accord.
Search and Scan freezes.
Hangs and needs a reboot to come back.
Wrong descriptions on programs.

Have rebooted, done housekeeping and powered off all night, but problems are on almost all programs recorded both before and after the udpate.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    Well, I can better than, woke up this morning and all the recordings have gone!!!!

CS will be getting a right ear bashing, if this happens again I may leave them!
  • Options
    adhawkinsadhawkins Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    Similar problems to the OP, with the addition of:

1. After coming back a reboot, powering on only gets a green screen.
    2. After another reboot, all that would display is the search and scan banner or the menus. I could change channels, and the banner would show that channels details, but behind it was just a blue screen.

However, the fact that probably 3 or 4 times during playback of each 1 hour programme we watched last night, the box crashed or misbehaved in some way, it might as well have deleted all my recordings, for all the use they are to me now...

Oh, and it looks like they've added a new reason for recording failure - 'Power Failure' (or similar). However, every time the box crashes, it uses this excuse for the recordings that were being made to have failed.

Not happy...

Andy
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Out of interest:

1. Has anyone with a standard hard disk in a Pace V2 had problems with the update?

2. Does anyone with an upgraded hard disk in a Pace V2 have a problem free box after the update?

If the answer to both of these is yes, we can hopefully rule out modified boxes as being a problem. However, if all the 40 Gig users have working boxes, and all the 250 Gig users have duff boxes, I think we might all have to get used to 20 hours of recording again for a while :(

Andy
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    niteman wrote:
    Freezes during playback of any recorded material.
    Several programs gone from planner
    Shuts down of its own accord.
    Search and Scan freezes.
    Hangs and needs a reboot to come back.
    Wrong descriptions on programs.
    Have not had any of these problems on my modded Pace V2 (160GB Maxtor). What I sometimes get (and got on older code) was live pause failing.

Pressing pause brings up the '||' graphic but the pics don't pause. Power cycle normally cures.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i havent had any problems yet

i have a v2 pace that hasnt been modded
  • Options
    jimbgibsonjimbgibson Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    I have an standard Pace box and have the same problem with live pause. Get the || symbol but the picture continues, if I try and press + channel it then pauses and asks me to press select or backup as I am in live pause.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 413
    Forum Member
    *daisy* wrote:

No problems for me yet. I was watching sky news at 4am yesterday, the box put itself in standby. I left it for 10mins (after realising that 6/9 was the day mentioned on this site)
    took it out of standby, and it carried on as normal, but with the light blue background etc.

I'm not saying this to annoy those who have issues, just to show that it is problems are specific to boxes, and not a wider issue.
  • Options
    JBlinkJBlink Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    adhawkins wrote:
    Out of interest:

1. Has anyone with a standard hard disk in a Pace V2 had problems with the update?

2. Does anyone with an upgraded hard disk in a Pace V2 have a problem free box after the update?

If the answer to both of these is yes, we can hopefully rule out modified boxes as being a problem. However, if all the 40 Gig users have working boxes, and all the 250 Gig users have duff boxes, I think we might all have to get used to 20 hours of recording again for a while :(

Andy

option 2. Pace V2 with 160 gig Maxtor. I hate the software update for other reasons but the general operation / reliability is unchanged (so far....oh how I wish I had not said that)
  • Options
    shrimp24shrimp24 Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    I have a standard pace v2 which after receiveing update would not allow recording or playback, when i turned power off the box would be in permanent standby and not amount of fixes is able to get the box to work, it is turning hard drive on and off am awaiting engineer tomorrow
  • Options
    ffocusedffocused Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    Standard V2, asked for PIN sometimes to access 'Other channels' menu. Only have BBC channels stored there :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 266
    Forum Member
    Live pause takes several seconds before it takes effect. Once it does take effect you can't then restart from where you left off. You have to go back to live TV. This makes live pause useless.

Instant rewind isn't working. I have my instant rewind set to 30 minutes.

Pace v2
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    I have a Pace V2 with a Hitachi 160gb drive in it.

Since upgrade the box switches itself off on it's own accord, mainly seems to be in the evenings (though that is when I watch it). It will come back on after maybe 5 mins. Last night while watching a recorded prog it kept on freezing about a dozen times - drove me nuts!
  • Options
    timeytimey Posts: 19,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *daisy* wrote:

Yes, same here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jimbgibson wrote:
    I have an standard Pace box and have the same problem with live pause. Get the || symbol but the picture continues, if I try and press + channel it then pauses and asks me to press select or backup as I am in live pause.
    A switch off an remove power for a few minutes then repower again to reset should solve this. A couple of us were having this problem yesterday but after a power down all is working normally.
  • Options
    WoofyWoofy Posts: 1,506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I posted this in the other thread, but this one seems to be a better place..

If you go as if to watch a recording, but when asked for your pin you press backup instead, the status changes to VIEWED, even though you haven't watched a second of the recording. Wonder if this is supposed to happen, so you can tell if your kids have been trying to access it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just some more info, I think that the box is more unreliable when it's recording. We just watched a 1 hour programme without any problems. Then started to watch another programme, and within 2 minutes of the box starting to record at 9pm, we'd had a playback lockup.

Usual symptoms, press backup to get to planner, and then back into the same programme to play, but it's forgotten where we were.

Andy
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    is anyone experiencing slow movment of the box now?

Also the picture does not look right to me now. Its kind of too bright.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 93
    Forum Member
    shrimp24 wrote:
    I have a standard pace v2 which after receiveing update would not allow recording or playback, when i turned power off the box would be in permanent standby and not amount of fixes is able to get the box to work, it is turning hard drive on and off am awaiting engineer tomorrow

Had this problem with my V1 about a year ago after a software update.

Had to scrap and get a V2 box...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    The only recording that I had stored as Keep, now has the wrong description against it! As it's an X-files being shown again tomorrow evening, not too unhappy and have deleted it. Mind you, would be pretty pissed if I had a load of things stored and they were knackered!!!

This is my first software "upgrade" (upgrade???) and can't say I'm very impressed.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have not had any of these problems on my modded Pace V2 (160GB Maxtor). What I sometimes get (and got on older code) was live pause failing.

Pressing pause brings up the '||' graphic but the pics don't pause. Power cycle normally cures.
    Hah! Spoke too soon.. box just reset itself and 'FAILED' Bank of mum dad which it was recording at the time.

:(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    V2 box here. Upgrade appeared ok on Tuesday. Played around with the EPG a little on Wednesday morning.

Went into TV Guide, All Channels, pressed right cursor a few times on BBC1, the whole thing froze and then rebooted. [sigh...]

No further problems since then, but a bit worrying that a software update crashes so quickly. Especially after we waited a fair while for the update.

Not impressed with Sky's software development team. Maybe some more bananas for the monkeys might help..... :rolleyes:

Having said that, the red dot removal option is wonderful.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    I have a V2 box with a 250Gb Maxtor drive.

Absolutely nothing to moan about as yet :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    OK, this has gone beyond a joke.

My SKY+ is completely useless to me now.
    about 1 in 3 programs that i'm recording is part recording due to 'No Signal'. This never happened before.
    I can't watch a program without it locking up at least every 15 minutes.
    I tried to backup to video and about 20 mins into the first program it locked and there it stayed.

Instant rewind is extremely flaky.

There are picture breakups every 15 minutes or so.

Its reset twice tonight so far.
    I cant watch recordings like this.
    Theres no point in having a sky+ subscription
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    niteman wrote:
    OK, this has gone beyond a joke.

My SKY+ is completely useless to me now.
    about 1 in 3 programs that i'm recording is part recording due to 'No Signal'. This never happened before.
    I can't watch a program without it locking up at least every 15 minutes.
    I tried to backup to video and about 20 mins into the first program it locked and there it stayed.

Instant rewind is extremely flaky.

There are picture breakups every 15 minutes or so.

Its reset twice tonight so far.
    I cant watch recordings like this.
    Theres no point in having a sky+ subscription
    Ok, cancel it then.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    My box too has got the live pause problem mentioned in this thread.

As it stands, live pause doesn't work, neither does rewind. Not very impressive!!

This is my first experience of a Sky+ upgrade and so I am unsure what to do now.

Do I wait for a fix by Sky (if so how long would this take) or do I ask for a call out?