What do you think K-9 Will Look like??

alienpandaalienpanda Posts: 9,444
Forum Member
Do you think he will looks exactly the same, or different?

I think he might start the episode the same, but maybe get some kind of makeover mid-show.

Comments

• MulettMulett Posts: 9,055
    Forum Member
    I think you're right. The story appears to be that he starts off all rusty and knackered, gets blown to pieces (by whoever the enemy is) and is then is patched back together and upgraded by the Doctor.

Ready for the 2006 Christmas toy market and, maybe, another spin-off show.
  • alienpandaalienpanda Posts: 9,444
    Forum Member
    Mulett wrote:
    I think you're right. The story appears to be that he starts off all rusty and knackered, gets blown to pieces (by whoever the enemy is) and is then is patched back together and upgraded by the Doctor.

I have a feeling he wont be brought in until near the end, that way they can gauge audience reaction to K-9 and possibly bring him back full time for season 3
  • timeytimey Posts: 19,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mulett wrote:

How do so many people know the stories beforehand and why can't these things be kept under wraps until the programme airs? It gets a bit annoying having everything given away beforehand.
    Forum Member
    How do so many people know the stories beforehand and why can't these things be kept under wraps until the programme airs? It gets a bit annoying having everything given away beforehand.

We don't know, we are just speculating
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yes I wouldnt be suprised if we see him more than once, given the toy market thing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Phil Collinson in new DWM says that they "decided that the original BBC designers had done such a brilliant job. As ever when reviving the show's old icons, we want to be faithful to the past..."
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    God knows why you'd want to actually bring K-9 back. Don't you think it's a bit tacky, when this evolution of Who is a lot more stylish?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    But just imagine what can be done with CGI. I'm thinking of a small version of DOG from HalfLife2 (perhaps with weapons - didn't the original have a laser that came out its mouth?)
  • timeytimey Posts: 19,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anagoge wrote:
    God knows why you'd want to actually bring K-9 back. Don't you think it's a bit tacky, when this evolution of Who is a lot more stylish?
    Yeah, I think so. Too much stuff being brought back, IMO. The Daleks and the Cybermen are fine, esp the Cybermen as they were one of the best "monsters" ever, IMHO, but K9 couldn't even get in an out of the TARDIS while the camera was on him, or will he have levitation like the Daleks now do? :D
  • Salford_WhoSalford_Who Posts: 4,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With RTD bringing back SJS, there is no way that they could ignore the fact that she had K9 with her. The story is unlikely to revolve around him, and will only see him in one or two scenes (my opinion). I think it will be handled the same way that we saw the cyberman head in 'Dalek'
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,102
    Forum Member
    Will he look like a dog? Do I win a prize?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    If you want to know what he'll look like: http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/gallery/k9/1024/k9_01.jpg

K9 Sunday Today on WhoTV (18th Sep.)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spdabbs wrote:
    If you want to know what he'll look like: http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/gallery/k9/1024/k9_01.jpg

K9 Sunday Today on WhoTV (18th Sep.)

We have a 'Geek Chic' Doctor, a reasonably good actress to play the Doctor's assistant, a good writer and an overall renewing of the Doctor Who franchise...

...and they want to put a rusty piece of metal in there with what looks like a ciggie (I know it's not) in its mouth?

Worrying.

I'm praying it's just a cameo, not a recurring role.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,690
    Forum Member
    anagoge wrote:
    Worrying.

I'm praying it's just a cameo, not a recurring role.
    Actually, anagoge, I share your worry.

If it's just a one-off episode, then I'm sure RTD will do a good job and I can live with it (and I am looking forward to seeing SJS and how they've progressed her character). If it's a regular part, I'm not sure that it's such a good idea (apart from the marketing department's perspective, of course.)

My own view is that the series has moved on, big-time, and they shouldn't be dragging too much back from the past (apart from some of the foes of course.)
  • Dr QuincyDr Quincy Posts: 1,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mulett wrote:

A K-9 Breadbin. Or maybe a K-9 pedal bin for your kitchen. K-9 cookie jar, yes I can see it all now.

Actually you can now get a TARDIS money box.
    Forum Member
    I also share the worry you share, Den. Not seen anything about the new series that's encouraging. K9? Cat women? Cheesie Santas? Telling ya, hide Russell's word-processor!
    Forum Member
    I wonder if he have a revamp and look something like this ??
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yoonix wrote:
    I also share the worry you share, Den. Not seen anything about the new series that's encouraging. K9? Cat women? Cheesie Santas? Telling ya, hide Russell's word-processor!

Erm, why?

He's turned Doctor Who into a succesful mainstream franchise again. Last season gave us at least three stories that stand out as classics in the shows 40 year history. He made the Daleks scary again. What makes you think season two will be any different???
    Forum Member
    Oh, it's an old story... yup, I do believe Russell's worked wonders, but as far as writing Who episodes goes - he's really not in the same league as the rest of the writing talent. Guess I'd just love a Who season where all the episodes are of the quality of "Dalek" and "Empty Child".

As for story leaks so far... K9 - truly awful creation, but guess it has to appear with Liz Sladen. Swings and roundabouts, that one. Cat women? Gothic horror in the style of Tournuer's "Cat People"? Nah, it's Russell... it'll be some women with whiskers who "meow" a lot. No doubt The Doctor will get on the wrong side of them and discover on returning to the Tardis that they've shredded his curtains and p***ed in his slippers. Santas? Killer Santas? Could work. Could do for Santas, what "It" and "Killer Klowns" did for circus clowns. But then I saw some pics... hilarious.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    K-9 - bl**dy stupid name for a dog anyway.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yoonix wrote:

Cat Women?

I'm sorry, but I like the sound of that. I'd definitely be watching.
    Probably for the wrong reasons though, but if they are designed to be incredibly sexy then I'm afraid that will be compulsive viewing. :D
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Erm, why?

He's turned Doctor Who into a succesful mainstream franchise again. Last season gave us at least three stories that stand out as classics in the shows 40 year history. He made the Daleks scary again. What makes you think season two will be any different???

Because some of us felt that the last series was patchy.

There were touches of brilliance, but on the whole the series was marred by farcical elements and too many weak episodes.

It's just that the brilliant bits were so frustrating, because they teased and tormented us with what the show could live up to and be.
    But some of us felt it fell short last time.
    Being a successful, mainstream franchise is no measure of quality in itself.

The excellent episodes from the last series are tormenting and teasing us all over again, so I can understand why some may be slightly anxious at some of the ideas so far.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was patchy. But then wasn't every other season of Doctor Who?
  • stafsstafs Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, it was not patchy, just some episodes were better than others, even the weakest episodes surpassed the expectations most people had at the start. In some ways it was a victim of its own success as expectations rose dramatically as the series progressed. Just when you thought it couldn't get any better, it did.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 411
    Forum Member
    Dr Quincy wrote:
    Actually you can now get a TARDIS money box.

You could buy these years ago - I bought one in the 70s.

I wonder whatever happened to it... :confused: