Options

Freeview PVR with series links?

Steven L HunterSteven L Hunter Posts: 10,724
Forum Member
✭✭
I have to keep setting my recordings every week for programmes as if i set it to record at the same time every week they end up changing the showing times so im looking for a PVR that has series links so that i can get the recording at the time its broadcast if this is possible i currently have the Pace Twin.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,528
    Forum Member
    No PVR (apart from Tivo but it doesn't have Freeview tuners) supports "series link". However Topfield can have a TAP loaded that will record based on a keyword search so if you ask it to record "sky night" you'll hopefully be innundated with Patrick Moore. But that's as close as you are going to get right now.

(to support true series link requires extra "meta data" to be embedded in the EPG data (and understood by the box) currently neither the DTT or the 4TV EPG data has this).

Cliff
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How much is the Topfield? I think i might just wait for the Telewest Broadband PVR to come out if the Topfields expensive.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 207
    Forum Member
    I have to keep setting my recordings every week for programmes as if i set it to record at the same time every week they end up changing the showing times so im looking for a PVR that has series links so that i can get the recording at the time its broadcast if this is possible i currently have the Pace Twin.

I don't think that any of the current range of PVRs have season passes, however on the Fusion FVRT200 you can set the recording as once, daily or weekly, which is better than nothing. I've only had the box 2 days, and as the EPG only downloaded last night I've not had much of a chance to play with this feature yet, but I suspect it will be used lots! One thing I am waiting to find out is whether the synopsis will stay the same as the one on the day you set the recording up, or will it update each day after it's recorded the show for that day. I've set it on daily for neighbours, so will see what happens when I get home I guess!

JO
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tarkytarks wrote:
    I don't think that any of the current range of PVRs have season passes, however on the Fusion FVRT200 you can set the recording as once, daily or weekly, which is better than nothing. I've only had the box 2 days, and as the EPG only downloaded last night I've not had much of a chance to play with this feature yet, but I suspect it will be used lots! One thing I am waiting to find out is whether the synopsis will stay the same as the one on the day you set the recording up, or will it update each day after it's recorded the show for that day. I've set it on daily for neighbours, so will see what happens when I get home I guess!

JO

Yeah thats what the Pace Twin has. I had EastEnders set for recording on Sundays but i had some sports thing in my Library that day and i was pissed off as BBC must have changed the times so this is why i want series links.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ah the "sport where Eastenders should be" is more of a "PDC" kind of thing than a series link thing. Unfortunately none of the current PVR support anything like PDC from the good old VHS days. In theory they should be able to interpret the DTT "Now/Next" to spot when a program is starting/finishing late but computers aren't very good at intepreting English and they'd really need some binary clues (like PDC identifiers) to understand what Now/Next is really saying but the current Now/Next doesn't include this kind of "meta data" either.

There are moves afoot (standard definitions and stuff in part being worked on by BBC) to include "meta data" in the Freeview transport streams and if/when that occurs it should be possible for manufacturers to then make PVRs that can both do the series link thing and also the PDC kind of thing (which I guess one could probably describe as a subset of what series link is anyway)

Cliff
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only TiVo + a Freeview STB (single tuner, not easily obtainable) and a Media Center PC (dual tuner, but expensive) offer this functionalaity right now. Alterntaively look at Sky+.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sanderton wrote:
    Only TiVo + a Freeview STB (single tuner, not easily obtainable) and a Media Center PC (dual tuner, but expensive) offer this functionalaity right now. Alterntaively look at Sky+.

Had sky+ before and it was crap kept failing recordings and freezing pictures and getting no signal all the time.
  • Options
    suestormsuestorm Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    Get Sky+ 160.
    It seems to be the only way to get a NEW box instead of a refurbished one.
    It appears that most standard Sky+ boxes out there are unreliable piles of crap that give failed recordings and other problems.
    Its a ripoff price,but it works
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    suestorm wrote:
    Get Sky+ 160.
    It seems to be the only way to get a NEW box instead of a refurbished one.
    It appears that most standard Sky+ boxes out there are unreliable piles of crap that give failed recordings and other problems.
    Its a ripoff price,but it works

Nah i'd rather wait for the new Telewest PVR as it has 3 tuners, 2 decoders, 160GB hard drive, HDTV Compatible & Multiroom compatible (watch recordings in other rooms).

Plus I would never go back to sky!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    All my Toppy timers are set automatically from DigiGuide on my PC. I set the search terms and any matches for the next day are exported overnight. You can't do true series link, but you can search by programme name and restrict the search to certain channels and times of day, and I've yet to miss an episode. I've never used Sky+, but I get the impression from what I've read that the searches in DigiGuide are more powerful.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    tarkytarks wrote:

JO

You get the title of the programme from the original day, but the synopsis of the event that you actually record.

For example, we record 3rd Rock every day, but it is not on at weekends, so on Saturday we get a programme name of 3rd Rock, but a synopsis of "This week a bunch of hopefuls try their luck at recording an album" (or whatever drivel is on!).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    s7uar7 wrote:
    All my Toppy timers are set automatically from DigiGuide on my PC. I set the search terms and any matches for the next day are exported overnight. You can't do true series link, but you can search by programme name and restrict the search to certain channels and times of day, and I've yet to miss an episode.

s7uar7: I have Digiguide on the HTPC connected to the Toppy via USB. How long does it take to set Toppy timers to do this, as we're going on hol at weekend and wife wants Corrie recorded?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    rhubarbe,

Not that I'll admit to knowing very much about Corrie but isn't it the case that they stuff ITV2 full of an "omninbus" episode at the weekend so even if you're going for two weeks you should only have two recordings to set? Then again you could fiddle about trying to record every individual 30 minute programme (about 10 of them?) I guess.

Cliff
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even though she doesn't work for Stella, Mrs r MKII is heavily into "fallbacks".

We will actually be able to watch the d*amned programme on that digital TV system that they sell to all the british ex-pats living in Spain.

"So, why do we need to record it?" I ask.

"Just in case we miss one."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh that's right, it's very difficult to pick up the plot in Corrie if you miss a single episode - I guess that's why the current Mrs L has stopped watching it!