Options

Will Men and Motors stay on 2A?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,934
Forum Member
✭✭
What do you think? I mean, ITV might leave it there and stop it on 2D to create space. But, then again, they do show a few US series, and the rights holders might be a bit hacked off at it being FTA throughout Europe, although these series are about 20 years old, so the owners might not be quite so zealous in protecting them.

Comments

• Options
    blueplatinumblueplatinum Posts: 1,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flobadob wrote:
    What do you think? I mean, ITV might leave it there and stop it on 2D to create space. But, then again, they do show a few US series, and the rights holders might be a bit hacked off at it being FTA throughout Europe, although these series are about 20 years old, so the owners might not be quite so zealous in protecting them.
    Well someone here is suggesting all of ITV bar ITV1 might end up on 2A !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well someone here is suggesting all of ITV bar ITV1 might end up on 2A !

Just like world peace or an end to global poverty, it's a lovely idea. But I won't be holding my breath waiting for it to happen.
    Actually, when I think about it, world peace and an end to global poverty would be an awful lot nicer than me being able to get ITV in Central Europe.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They only have 16MHz bandwidth to play with - say about 5 channels. They cant put everything on 2A, and I wasnt intending to suggest that was likely to be the case - having had another look it wasnt worded too well. I still think ITV News is a likely candidate though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With this here ITV children's channel, if they are planning to use only their own archive programmes, they could put that on 2A as well.
    I hope they don't go too far back into their archives - I hated Magpie, despite the funky theme music.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They only have 16MHz bandwidth to play with - say about 5 channels. They cant put everything on 2A
    Yes but 5 channels could be ITV2, ITV3, ITV4, ITV News and ITV Kids. This would leave all their 2D space for ITV1s. Not sure where this would leave the interactive services.

Today there are two channels with similar numbers on the tp - one showing MM and the other a test card (that was this morning).

Anyone at ITV out there who can shed some light on this please!!?!?!???¿
  • Options
    OtisOtis Posts: 2,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes but 5 channels could be ITV2, ITV3, ITV4, ITV News and ITV Kids. This would leave all their 2D space for ITV1s. Not sure where this would leave the interactive services.

Today there are two channels with similar numbers on the tp - one showing MM and the other a test card (that was this morning).

I despair, I really do .. :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 161
    Forum Member
    My guess is that they will mainly move their interactive services to that TP. If lucky, ITV News and maybe ITV3 and the upcoming ITV4. But I won't expect more than the interactive services to end up there. Just look at BBC.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Otis wrote:
    I despair, I really do .. :(
    And your point is? :mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seems odd that MM is on 2A as this will potentially cause copyright issues. It would make more sense to move ITV News as that would be unaffected by rights issues.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 161
    Forum Member
    Does MM really broadcast anything of great importance for the owners of the material? Most of the stuff seems rather old. Which I think is also the likelyhood of ITV3 appearing on 2A is there, but not by any means gurranteed. Just look at Pop and Tiny Pop. They are unencrypted aswell, and they even broadcast Mario and Sonic :) (I think it was them at least?)

Most people wouldn't bother with 28,2E for some old series, and cause no real threat to anyone. But we'll just have to wait and see :) (MM will also most likely cease to exist when ITV4 is launched)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lnp wrote:
    Seems odd that MM is on 2A as this will potentially cause copyright issues. It would make more sense to move ITV News as that would be unaffected by rights issues.

I thought that as well, but the fact is, they have moved M and M to 2A. Why they did it instead of ITV News is a mystery known only to the dark gods of broadcasting.
  • Options
    ToneXIRToneXIR Posts: 3,401
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Re the "Yes but 5 channels could be ITV2, ITV3, ITV4, ITV News and ITV Kids. " quote from Bluey. From what I hear ITV4 and ITV Kids will share the same channel.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flobadob wrote:
    I thought that as well, but the fact is, they have moved M and M to 2A.
    Well we don't know that. The EPG MM is the 2d transmission. They might just be using the MM programming to test the 2A tp. I don't think we can necessarily infer that that will be the programming ultimately carried.
  • Options
    jnojno Posts: 871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unfortunatley blueplatinum is correct - is it just for testing? I would like to think not of course and certainly enjoying repeats of "Magnum" in the meantime!

I personally don't see any problem in them showing old repeat shows on a wide transponder, but who ever cared what people want?

In an objective mood I would say the argument for keep the stuff on 2D is just as valid at the end of the day, but in these days of the European Union it would be nice to see some consideration for UK citizens at least within the EU, many of whom are promoting and working for the good of the UK anyway. Also, the other way around it would be nice for UK citizen being allowed to legally watch and subscribe to services from the EU (e.g. televised Saturday afternoon Premier League).

Does it make any sense at all that a pub in Calais full of Brits can watch a Premier League football match on a Saturday afternoon but 1 hour away in Dover they can't? Also that a house in Northern Ireland can have certain TV channels and their neighbour 1 minute on foot down the road can't because they are in the Republic, even if they are willing to pay for it? madness...

The two things that 'most people' probably have within the EU have are 1) a TV and 2) a car and since I moved away from the UK these have been the two issues that the EU has done nothing to promote across borders in terms of fairness of trade.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    lnp wrote:

Copyright also applies to News! All of the broadcasters source their material from various news organisations e.g. video footage, news articles etc
  • Options
    benidormgarybenidormgary Posts: 914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flobadob,please email me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PDM wrote:
    Copyright also applies to News! All of the broadcasters source their material from various news organisations e.g. video footage, news articles etc

ITV News was on the wider beam before getting moved to 2D so I guess it isn't much of an issue for ITN.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jno wrote:
    In an objective mood I would say the argument for keep the stuff on 2D is just as valid at the end of the day, but in these days of the European Union it would be nice to see some consideration for UK citizens at least within the EU, many of whom are promoting and working for the good of the UK anyway. Also, the other way around it would be nice for UK citizen being allowed to legally watch and subscribe to services from the EU (e.g. televised Saturday afternoon Premier League).

Does it make any sense at all that a pub in Calais full of Brits can watch a Premier League football match on a Saturday afternoon but 1 hour away in Dover they can't? Also that a house in Northern Ireland can have certain TV channels and their neighbour 1 minute on foot down the road can't because they are in the Republic, even if they are willing to pay for it? madness...

The two things that 'most people' probably have within the EU have are 1) a TV and 2) a car and since I moved away from the UK these have been the two issues that the EU has done nothing to promote across borders in terms of fairness of trade.
    Thank you so much for this post. It totally infuriates me that the word "Union" in European Union seems to mean absolutely nothing.

If I live in a "union" then I should have exactly the same rights no matter where I live in the union or from which country within that union I originate.

I would like to see a law passed which dictates that a new pan-European satellite system is launched with a footprint covering the entire EU and that all TV channels licensed to broadcast in EU countries are obliged to transmit on that system (not necessarily unencrypted but with all EU citizens having the right to subscribe).

The existing rights/copyright system is based on obsolete technology where individual terrestrial transmitters could only cover a small area, generally within a single country. It could not apply in the new world as I see it but that does not mean it cannot be replaced with a new broadcasting rights system which is accurately mapped onto the new world of there being one union .
  • Options
    denis1501denis1501 Posts: 559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Men and Motors has now made the switch from 2D! Great news!
    regards
    D.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There doesn't seem to be any widescreen switching via the new outlet. Everything is either 4x3 or anamorphic.