Philips DVDR9000H HDMI 400GB DVB-T

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
Forum Member
I found some info on the new DVD-R9000H

quotes :-
"Philips DVDR9000H Hard Disk/DVD Recorder with Pixel Plus and built-in digital TV tuner"

"The Philips Cineos DVDR9000H Hard Disk-/DVD-Recorder is a flexible platform for home entertainment. It has a stylish design and offers 400GB storage capacity and a DVB-T receiver."

also has
- HDMI and upscaling using Pixel Plus technology
- Dual layer capability
- DVB-T tuner and Analog
- Also some sites mention Guide Plus as well

http://www.press.ce.philips.com/apps/c_dir/e3379701.nsf/0/D9750497A5D0E43BC1257059003CE18C?OpenDocument

I also noticed you seem to be able to order it from German site below, already, price is 804 Euros (about £545) and they will ship to the UK. I wonder if the DVB-T will work in UK?
http://www.computeruniverse.net/groups/p2/e30000649/standalone_recorder.asp

other links I found :-
https://www.digitaldirectuk.com/products_moreinfo3/index.asp?product_id=9138

http://www.soundandvisiononline.com/moreinfo/index.asp?product_id=9138
- Show quoted text -

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Philips press release says that this is the 5.1 recorder. However this not mentioned in the UK blurb, and the HDD is mysteriously downgraded to 250 GB.

Mind you, they also say "MP3 (MPEG-3) playback", so it's anyone's guess what's actually on board...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    Am i reading it correctly or does it only have one DVB-T tuner ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, it only has one DVB-T tuner. It will work in the UK if the firmware has been written to take account of the QAM64 modulation that we use here; if not it'll need a patch which they may or may not write. If it's the same model number ex\actley in the UK and Germany then it will definitely work here.

Still not really what we want, is it? It's just a single tuner PVR with record. Two years ago, maybe, but now we want two tuners at least or it's just another box to add to the stack.

Let's rephrase that. It doesn't replace my Toppy, just adds another box.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    arse what were Philips thinking if it 2 tuners it might have been a contender well i would have had to add it to my consider this list at least, but right now your right it is "just another box " more of a fancy replacement for my dvd player ....

<OT> right back to waiting though possibly not for much longer as it seems by pace 210 box has taken a disliking to the BBC channels either that or they've switch the broadcast power to really rubbish </OT>
  • creddishcreddish Posts: 5,285
    Forum Member
    flipside wrote:
    arse what were Philips thinking if it 2 tuners it might have been a contender well i would have had to add it to my consider this list at least, but right now your right it is "just another box " more of a fancy replacement for my dvd player ....

<OT> right back to waiting though possibly not for much longer as it seems by pace 210 box has taken a disliking to the BBC channels either that or they've switch the broadcast power to really rubbish </OT>

Although 2 tuners would be nice, for me that is not essential. Provided it has the ability to play a previous recording and the ability to watch another programme at the same time that would be sufficient for me. What would be much more important for me was that it does it's job reliably, which appears to be something lacking in the currently available twin tuner PVR's. Maybe the major DVD/HDD manufacturers can do a better job of this given their design resources? Having the capability of producing removable media in the same box is also a useful feature. It may be that DVD/HDD recorders eventually will provide better PVR type functionality than the current PVR's. For example Pioneer already implement the advert skipping capability better than the current PVR's (with the possible exception of Topfield using a TAP).

Colin
  • BoinngBoinng Posts: 5,752
    Forum Member
    creddish wrote:
    Although 2 tuners would be nice, for me that is not essential. Provided it has the ability to play a previous recording and the ability to watch another programme at the same time that would be sufficient for me.

Or it will be, until you've lived with one for a year or two, realised it's limitations, and then Philips (or another "major" manufacturer) replace it with a twin tuner version. Ten to one you'd run out and buy it, and your expensive big brand "first" PVR would get quietly shuffled out of the way..

Once you own a twin tuner, you'd never go back to a single tuner PVR, no matter who made it. It's a massive step backwards.
    What would be much more important for me was that it does it's job reliably, which appears to be something lacking in the currently available twin tuner PVR's. Maybe the major DVD/HDD manufacturers can do a better job of this given their design resources?

Didn't work for Panasonic, did it? The fact is Freeview PVR's are very complex pieces of kit, and nobody has made one 100% fault free - but then nobody, including any of the big names, has delivered a 100% perfect single tuner Freeview box either - especially Philips, whose track record with the DTR series is nothing short of atrocious (I actually quite liked the DTR1500, but their support for it was hopeless, and everything since then has been worse). Personally, if I was looking to buy any DTT PVR in the future, then I'd probably look to one of the companies that already have practical experience in the field - not a first timer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,528
    Forum Member
    creddish wrote:
    Maybe the major DVD/HDD manufacturers can do a better job of this given their design resources?
    What? Like Panasonic you mean? ;)

Cliff

(oops, should have read Boinng's post before I posted that - great minds!)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 465
    Forum Member
    looks like the Reel box is the only one on the horizon, although it only comes with one tuner as standard.............oh and a hefty price tag
    Forum Member
    Once you own a twin tuner, you'd never go back to a single tuner PVR, no matter who made it. It's a massive step backwards.

As my only hands on experience of a PVR was a week with a Humax 8000T I can't be certain I would be happy indefinitely with a single tuner. But why do you think there is a "massive" step between single and twin tuner? On the rare occasions when there would be a clash between two programmes I would be interested in, I could record one on the PVR and watch or record the other using other equipment (which I already have). The loss of PVR facilities on the second programme would only be a minor issue for me on the rare occasions this was necessary.
    Didn't work for Panasonic, did it?
    No it didn't, which surprised me. Had their PVR been reliable I would have been inclined to suspect that the problem with the "other" PVR's was simply the 4TV software or manufacturer capability.
    The fact is Freeview PVR's are very complex pieces of kit, and nobody has made one 100% fault free

I can accept something less than 100%. But IMO (based largely on reading forums such as this) the problems with the currently available twin tuner PVR's compared to the alternatives are much more significant. The significant probability of box crashes resulting in lost or failed recordings is a basic limitation. If this is due to having two tuners rather than one then I would give up the second tuner. If it is due to the differences in the technology or capability between the different manufacturers I would choose the more reliable provided this did not result in un-acceptable loss of functionality.

Colin
    Forum Member
    CJL wrote:
    What? Like Panasonic you mean? ;)

Cliff

Yes I had hoped for better from Panasonic. It will be interesting to see if the any of the new Freeview/DVD/HDD recorders prove to be significantly more reliable than the currently available PVR's. At some stage as they include more of the functionality of the current PVR's they should be called DTT-PVR/DVD/HDD Recorders?

I still have hopes that the Humax 9200 will get it right.

Colin
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,528
    Forum Member
    creddish wrote:
    DTT-PVR/DVD/HDD Recorders?
    DTT(x 2)-PVR/DVD/HDD hopefully in fact!

(I have a feeling that if Sony ever do a PVR it will be faultless, under featured and over priced but faultless!)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    Found a PDF about the Philips DVDR9000H
    http://www.ifa.philips.com/products/star1.html
    or direct
    http://www.ifa.philips.com/downloads/L&B_Philips_Cineos9000_range.zip
    see last PDF in the zip.

This confirms that DVDR9000H DOES RECORD DOLBY DIGITAL 5.1 :)

Lets just hope this applies to UK models

The connections confirm there is Digital IN as well as OUT

Also it looks like the DVDR9000H is the first to have integrated DVB Terrestial and GuidePlus

Anyone know if this PDF is for a particular country ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't you just post the same sort of information at the top of this thread?

Note (for the second time) that Philips machines released in other countries differ substantially in their capabilities.
  • doverrogdoverrog Posts: 345
    Forum Member
    PeteTh wrote:
    I found some info on the new DVD-R9000H

quotes :-
    "Philips DVDR9000H Hard Disk/DVD Recorder with Pixel Plus and built-in digital TV tuner"

"The Philips Cineos DVDR9000H Hard Disk-/DVD-Recorder is a flexible platform for home entertainment. It has a stylish design and offers 400GB storage capacity and a DVB-T receiver."

also has
    - HDMI and upscaling using Pixel Plus technology
    - Dual layer capability
    - DVB-T tuner and Analog
    - Also some sites mention Guide Plus as well

http://www.press.ce.philips.com/apps/c_dir/e3379701.nsf/0/D9750497A5D0E43BC1257059003CE18C?OpenDocument

I also noticed you seem to be able to order it from German site below, already, price is 804 Euros (about £545) and they will ship to the UK. I wonder if the DVB-T will work in UK?
    http://www.computeruniverse.net/groups/p2/e30000649/standalone_recorder.asp

other links I found :-
    https://www.digitaldirectuk.com/products_moreinfo3/index.asp?product_id=9138

http://www.soundandvisiononline.com/moreinfo/index.asp?product_id=9138
    - Show quoted text -

I've had a look at your links. German site is interesting. I've e-mailed Philips to ask about UK release and spec.
    Digital Direct shows recording to -R/-RW
    and doesn't mention +R/+RW although it does say multiformat. Are Philips now on the same playing-field as Sony?
    We'll see.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, I wouldn't necessarily trust what Philips tell you.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=150180

Single report on a different machine, but again supposed to be multiformat. Note the quality of the Philips technical advice in this instance, which has never been great.

It's the confusion between what's in the manual and what's merely stuck on the box that's a confidence-sapper.
    Forum Member
    I emailed Philips last week and specifically asked 'What is the release date in the UK for the DVD HDD Recorder DVDR9000H" and I got this reply :-

"With regards to your query we can advise that the DVDR9000H is set to
    be released on the 07th of December 2005.

We trust that the information provided will be of assistance."
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    PeteTh wrote:

"With regards to your query we can advise that the DVDR9000H is set to
    be released on the 07th of December 2005."

According to the Google translation of the heading on this Swiss site http://www.dvdupgrades.ch/657030343232363937/DVD/DVDrecorder/Philips/Philips_Dvdr9000h_10_erst_wieder_ab_M_rz_2006_erh_ltlich.html it will be available in March 2006 there. Hope this does not mean it will be delayed in the UK.

John Daniels :(
    Forum Member
    I emailed Philips again since 7/12/2005 has come and gone this is the latest reply

"With regards to your query we can advise that the DVDR9000H/10 will be
    released mid December"

Hopefully this year!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    A web site I found last week said it would be on sale in January. I cannot remember which site it was.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DVDR9000H/10 is NOT the usual Philips geographical suffix for the UK.
  • KDHKDH Posts: 1,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well the DVDR9000H/10 has appeared on the Philips UK DVDR web page
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    This site is listing it at £599

http://www.dcsat.co.uk/loewe_peri_item.asp?product_id=345

Whilst this one doesn't list a price but indicates a January 2006 release

http://www.cheapelectricals.co.uk/acatalog/Philips_DVDR9000_DVDR9000_DVDR9000_DVDR9000.html

Wait just a little longer.........

John Daniels :cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    Yes it will be for UK to use Philips DVDR9000H/10 as it quite new product -- I own Philips 32PF7520D/10 32" LCD TV as it worked for UK as well so the new dvd recorder/hard drive is coming in Jan 2006 for the UK market from £500 to over £650...

Philips replaced 05 to use 10 for using full feature like DVDR9000H -- it changed from end of 2005 as it begin from 2006. So you can order and you will expect to get one in few week time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KDH wrote:
    Well the DVDR9000H/10 has appeared on the Philips UK DVDR web page
    ..and now it's gone... :cool:
    mjt03 wrote:
    Yes it will be for UK to use Philips DVDR9000H/10 as it quite new product ...
    It would be a mistake to recommend this machine for the UK until, as Rhubarbe pointed out in post #4 of this thread, we know it will accept DVB-T QAM64 modulation.