Hyperdrive - BBC's new sci-fi/comedy

http://media.guardian.co.uk/broadcast/story/0,7493,1570031,00.html

some good stuff about it in this article here!
Nick Frost, best known for playing Simon Pegg's sidekick in Spaced and Shaun of the Dead, has landed his first lead role in a TV comedy, playing a spaceship commander in new BBC2 show Hyperdrive.

Frost's character in Hyperdrive, space commander Henderson, is in charge of a 22nd century British spaceship tasked with trying to encourage aliens to relocate their businesses to Peterborough and take holidays in the Lake District.

The comedy, set in 2151, has been described by executive producer Jon Plowman as a "hilarious version of Das Boot in space".

"Hyperdrive is partly about the crew of the HMS Camden Lock trying to persuade aliens to relocate to Britain while the Americans offer Florida, and partly about a group of people being stuck together in a confined space for a long time," he said.

During their space travels, commander Henderson and his crew have to deal with anti-gravity failures, annoying talking doors and wars with aliens.

Commander Henderson is an optimistic but deluded man, who always thinks his orders are open to interpretation.

Hyperdrive, which formerly had a working title Full Power, also stars Kevin Eldon - whose credits include Nighty Night and Big Train - as first officer York, a brilliant scientist and polymath.

Other cast members include Miranda Hart as diplomatic officer Teal, who is in love with Henderson; Stephen Evans as manic-depressive navigator Vine; and Dan Antopolski as insubordinate technical officer Jeffers.

The BBC2 comedy also features Petra Massey as pilot Sandstrom, an "enhanced human", and Paterson Joseph, as the ambitious space marshal Clarke.

Hyperdrive is being filmed in Manchester and is due to go out on BBC2 next year.

The comedy has been written by Kevin Cecil and Andy Riley, who scripted the third series of Black Books. Alex Walsh-Taylor is producing, with John Henderson directing.

What did you think of 'Hyperdrive'? 319 votes

Excellent
5% 18 votes
Not Bad
22% 73 votes
Average
15% 51 votes
Poor
47% 151 votes
Undecided
8% 26 votes

Comments

• CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I come from Peterborough, why would aliens want to come to Peterbrouogh?

that being said given teh last adversting scheme it launched (the Peterboroug logo on taxis in London) this one is better.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose that means a 9th series of Red Dwarf is really out of the question now. :(

I'm encouraged to see Nick Frost and the writers of Black Books involved.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 288
    Forum Member
    is this a the beginning of red dwarf? or a pinched idea rehashed?
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    It does sound really good series and it will be good to see some new british sci-fi on our TV screens next year!
  • Echo1Echo1 Posts: 7,714
    Forum Member
    Sounds promising. I likes me a bit of British sci-fi comedy.:)
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I will probaly watch
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    Well, seemingly everyone hated it. Or was that just a few predictable, cynical Brits climbing aboard the very British bandwagon that is jumping all over something before it's had a chance......leaving those who liked it scared to declare so? I'm not sure.

Well, not me. I liked it. There, I've said it. It made me laugh-out-loud at least 3 times in the first episode. That will do me. Should they have put it up against Lost on C4 though? Eek!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 329
    Forum Member
    It was pretty good. I t could have been better.

One bit had me splitting my sides though, when the ships computer needed a custom fix and Nick Frost just keeps going on about the qwuick fix button and screws the whole ship up.

Working with pc's you see this kind of thing all the time!

And now everythings set back to the factory defaults.

Think this needs a bit more of a chance to get in to it. I don't think it was all that much like Red Dwarf either.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 331
    Forum Member
    I just did not enjoy it , the ''comedy'' was quite apalling and after 15 minutes me and mr malko gave up on it :( ... I was really hoping that it would be a red dwarf for the 21st century , but felt it failed on all levels apart from the external space scenes
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's very difficult to write sci-fi comedy - I've had a go myself and this kind of humour is very difficult to be objective about. There are only so many Star Trek 'In-Jokes' you can tell before it all becomes one big cliche.
    With sci-fi itself, a lot has already been done with the genre and it's difficult to use a concept or device which isn't already derived from Star Trek/Star Wars/2001/countless others (take Warp Drive and Zap guns for example).

I can't say that I found the first episode of Hyperdrive as good as I would have like but it's early days yet. There were some funny moments in there. It's similar to Red Dwarf, where the patheticness of the crew is the focus for the humour.

I'll give it a few weeks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87
    Forum Member
    As a few others have said, I'll give it a chance.
    I liked some of the crew characters, but thought that the alien creature running round the ship was a bit of a cliche. The long trailer last week showed some interesting clips.
    It's only 30mins long, and I can't form a proper opinion of it in that short a time.
    It's definitely worth a series link on the sky+ I reckon.
  • rfw1rfw1 Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    First impresions were pretty dire. I will watch it next time Hope it gets better -

Any chance of a poll as to how people found this ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As with most people, I thought it was okaaaaaay, and will give it a few episodes to find its stride.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was a load of rubbish, but will keep watching for a couple of weeks to see if it improves.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,690
    Forum Member
    rfw1 wrote:
    First impresions were pretty dire. I will watch it next time Hope it gets better -

Any chance of a poll as to how people found this ?
    Poll requested (it's easy enough - just alert a post in the thread and type your request, in case posters need to know how. :))

I thought it looked great, but wasn't impressed with the level of comedy in the slightest. That said, it was only the first episode and I'm not willing to form a proper opinion on that basis alone.
  • Kris GreenKris Green Posts: 2,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poll added as requested by 'DenWatts'

Kris
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 272
    Forum Member
    This was complete twaddle. Silly does not equal funny.

This prog was nowhere near as funny as it thought it was. I thought we'd gotten away from this sort of silly "comedy" stuff. Can we not make comedy programs with some wit ?? I'm not a fan of Futurama but it oozes humour compared to this twee dross. It was painful to watch,

The people who give the go ahead for progs like this must be so out of touch, to think this would be well received.

A waste of license payers money.

Who knows it may get better. It certainly can't get worse.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,690
    Forum Member
    Kris Green wrote:
    Poll added as requested by 'DenWatts'

Kris
    Thanks Kris.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would have watched, if some idiot at BBC2 hadn't put it up against the finale of Lost! Whos moronic idea was that?...
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    Daveydje wrote:
    I would have watched, if some idiot at BBC2 hadn't put it up against the finale of Lost! Whos moronic idea was that?...
    The same person who reasonably figured that the vast majority of BBC2 viewers know how to work a VCR? :rolleyes:
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "There are only so many Star Trek 'In-Jokes' you can tell before it all becomes one big cliche."

That's EXACTLY it! No matter what the situation, the primary thing is to make people laugh. Comedy and characters first, sci-fi second. This is why Red Dwarf was great. Also, Dwarf contained actual sci-fi, not stupid space jokes.
  • ember1ember1 Posts: 3,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who'd have thunk that the same week the BBC put out the compelling "Life on Mars" they also gave us "Hyperdrive" - possibly the most substandard sci-fi comedy to hit our screens since that 70s one with Molly Sugden. An awful attempt to fuse the "natural acting" of "The Office" with all your fav sci-fi comedy ideas (the baby gun one comes straight from Men in Black)

The interesting thing about "The Office" is that you squirm at Brent's inept activities. Frost's character (forgotten his name) is utterly inept at playing the inept with added pathos.
  • ember1ember1 Posts: 3,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's similar to Red Dwarf, where the patheticness of the crew is the focus for the humour.
    I have to say that RD got better and better in its first few series. But even after the first episode (which with hindsight isn't a classic) there was still a freshness and a buzz about the characters and set-up. I don't feel the same about Hyperdrive.

Perhaps it may improve in the coming weeks, but if it's more of the same then I'd prefer to see this show put to rest.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was well.... OK. There were a couple of bits that made me smile : mainly the announcements.

My Mum & Dad just summed it up perfectly: The Office in Space.

I couldn't stand the office.

My DVD-Recording of this is being wiped - as although it was enjoyable it's not watch again material.

I won't care whether I miss the rest of this: - Life On Mars was so much better.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe they'll set up shop in Queesngate, or, is this why the south bank is being redeveloped, as well as the excuse for Hampton?

I was born and lived in peterborough till 3 years ago! I watched it, and thought it was ok, although it mirrors Red Dwarf, Saw Rimmer, Lister, Cat and Kryten in characters, and the ship looks similar.