Options

PIN protection - software update on Oct 1st

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 247
Forum Member
Had a call from SKY today, due to the number of complaints SKY will be making the PIN protection system optional, this will be done by a software update on or around October 1st

(sorry if this had been mentioned before, did a search but could not find any mention of it. MODS could all pin related threads be merged as there is quite a few?)

Comments

• Options
    Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good news. It was a good idea, but they should have implemented an opt out from the beginning
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That is what the software update will do...good on SKY for listening to us and acting quickly
    Daveoc64 wrote:
    Good news. It was a good idea, but they should have an opt out.
  • Options
    Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wrightie01 wrote:
    That is what the software update will do...good on SKY for listening to us and acting quickly

I know. My post should really have said "It was a good idea, but they should have implemented an opt out from the beginning"
  • Options
    james paynejames payne Posts: 4,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good afternoon to you all.

On or around October 1st does seem very quick for Sky to ammend certain problems. Although this Pin software has not caused me any problems, it is quite obvious that there was a major flaw with the software, and indeed it is very good that Sky are recognising their mistakes,and rectifying the problem as soon as possible.

It will be interesting, should the caller from Sky be telling the truth, how they will implement this new option. On the face of it, it seems that it should be easy considering the option is already their to disable the option............just a shame it hasn't worked.

I would hazard a guess, that if this is true, then Sky will possibly deliver it along with the new V4 EPG software, which from memory was due for early October onwards.

One thought of caution springs to mind.

If Sky are changing it, wouldn't there be the usual few weeks of testing first, just to make sure that this little tweak doesn't cause other problems.

We all know what tweaks can do.

Regards James
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Good afternoon to you too James, I sure do hope he was telling the truth - after all, the call originated from the executive Office.

The PIN protection is an excellent measure to protect children from dodgy viewing, the removal of the plethora of adult channels is even better as they were only one page back from the main screen and could be easily viewed by minors resulting in all sorts of funny questions from the kids!

I wonder what will be next...Im hoping for a "remove quiz channels from epg" option! As they are strangely addictive, NOT to call in though..but to try and work out the formulae behind some of the answers :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    You can have your own EPG of up to 50 channels with v4.
    Removing the quiz channels will be priority number one for me!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    It will be interesting, should the caller from Sky be telling the truth, how they will implement this new option. On the face of it, it seems that it should be easy considering the option is already their to disable the option............just a shame it hasn't worked.

Exactly - it's a bug with the existing options (turning off all parental control still does not disable the PIN), my assumption would be that disabling the parental control using the existing options would now work as desired. It really can't be any more explicit, from a usability point of view - if I turn off all of the parental controls, that's a pretty clear sign (to everyone but the solitary QA tester at Sky, apparently) that I don't want them on, full stop. Hopefully they'll fix this without going to the extent of adding another option or something...

Graeme.
  • Options
    TonyLondonTonyLondon Posts: 149
    Forum Member
    Daveoc64 wrote:
    I know. My post should really have said "It was a good idea, but they should have implemented an opt out from the beginning"

Lol, nicely done :)

Today's gentle sarcasm award goes to you!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    Hooray - if Pin numbers are to be optional from approx 1st Oct ...
    does this mean that if I record a full or even half a programme
    of a series or a 'Soap' etc, that I may have missed, by manually
    (putting my own times in), that - on 1st Oct - I will be able to
    watch these progs WITHOUT a warning coming up on screen,
    to say that I can't watch these progs without putting my PIN
    number in first. Who made this rule about PIN number must be
    entered before you can view a recording !!!! There are no small
    children in this house - not even older children, so why the PIN
    rule all of a sudden. SKY are stopping me watching recordings
    of 'Soaps' or plays etc that I have missed. I pay a lot each month
    for SKY+ so I am not getting my full value. Also the signal keeps
    going off - so programmes that should be recording - do not record
    and when checking WHY these progs did not record, it says POWER
    CUT, CLASHED, NO REASON FOUND, FAILED, all of which is rubbish.
    Does anyone else have PIN problems or signal problems !!!! :o(
  • Options
    mattyl149mattyl149 Posts: 2,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I removed the adult channels straight away, but obviously going into other channels, requests the use of a pin. So am I to believe that after this update entry of the pin will not be required, or as one part of parental control features is on, that pin entry will still be necessary
    I don't like having to keep entering my pin, just because I don't want adult channels listed
  • Options
    BexTechBexTech Posts: 12,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Holly5 wrote:
    Hooray - if Pin numbers are to be optional from approx 1st Oct ...

Pin numbers (Personal Identification Number numbers) won't be optional, however the PIN (Personal Identification Number) could be optional.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant thank good my right hand has been hurting non stop since the update. Cheers for the info.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    Brilliant thank good my right hand has been hurting non stop since the update. Cheers for the info.

You can take the adult channles off you know!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Derby_Bull wrote:
    You can take the adult channles off you know!

Just switched PC on, logged onto DSPY, and this is the first comment I read.......

..........Fantastic :D

Regards James
  • Options
    OtisOtis Posts: 2,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

On or around October 1st does seem very quick for Sky to ammend certain problems.

I suppose they could tag it onto the update to version 4 of the EPG (due to rollout from October 3rd for six weeks or so) ..?

I Rather doubt they'd do anything on the 1st its a Saturday ...

I suspect its more of an oversight than a bug if truth be known.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Otis wrote:
    I suppose they could tag it onto the update to version 4 of the EPG (due to rollout from October 3rd for six weeks or so) ..?

Good morning to you Otis.

Indeed I am inclined to agree with you.

I did make this comment in the 3rd para of my original post, and early October does seem very quick to correct it, especially when you think back to previous bug fixes.

Oversight could be correct here.

Regards James
  • Options
    JBlinkJBlink Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BexTech wrote:

Sky claim the PIN implementation is because of their consumer research rather than any legal obligation. I am not suggesting that there is no such obligation but they have gone about the whole thing in an over bearing, over protective nanny-state way. However, just extracting a section "Therefore, provided there is a protection system such as a mandatory PIN - and that these systems are clearly explained to all subscribers - premium subscription film services will now be able to broadcast films which are rated up to a BBFC (British Board of Film Classification) 15 certificate, 24 hours a day" This does not explain the PIN requirement for 12 rated films and I really do not believe that any of this has been clearly explained to all subscribers.

Roll on 1st Oct or whenever!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure all this will be clearly explained once everyone has the update.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BexTech wrote:
    I'm sure all this will be clearly explained once everyone has the update.

I do hope it will - PIN stops me viewing recordings I have made of programmes and Soaps that I have missed. It
    pusts a message on screen to say they CAN'T be viewed without putting PIN No in first - they are only SOAPS - not
    X Rated Sex programmes. I find it more than annoying.
    SKY should give us the option NOT to use our PIN No's.
    ....... :mad: - :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Holly5 wrote:
    I do hope it will - PIN stops me viewing recordings I have made of programmes and Soaps that I have missed. It
    pusts a message on screen to say they CAN'T be viewed without putting PIN No in first - they are only SOAPS - not
    X Rated Sex programmes. I find it more than annoying.
    SKY should give us to option NOT to use our PIN No's.
    ....... :mad: - :confused:

Or even PINs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BexTech wrote:
    Or even PINs.

?!!!. NO - as I said PIN No's (numbers)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Holly5 wrote:
    ?!!!. NO - as I said PIN No's (numbers)

Right OK, just for you as you saying: Personal Identification Number numbers
  • Options
    Gaz.BazGaz.Baz Posts: 1,878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i recorded Bestival on channel4 onto my sky+ and went to watch it this morning and it asked for the pin

i hadnt been playing around with it or anything
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Would it not be clearer and less confusing to say that we will all be able to choose whether or not we have the parental control features (ie PIN requirement) turned ON or OFF thus giving control and choice to us, the subscribers. As you quite rightly state BexTech...the need to have a PIN number to adjust the parental features features will still be required.

BexTech wrote:
    Pin numbers (Personal Identification Number numbers) won't be optional, however the PIN (Personal Identification Number) could be optional.