Options

Steve Ryder Set to move to ITV?

the wellserthe wellser Posts: 4,973
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Well this would be a surprize move if you ask be but it seems his roll at the BBC does seem to of been toned down alot in recent years.
http://sport.guardian.co.uk/news/story/0,10488,1577381,00.html
After failing to lure Jeff Stelling from Sky, ITV moved Jim Rosenthal to football and recently revived boxing coverage, leaving a gap in formula one. "We've been looking to strengthen our presenting team," said ITV's controller of sport Mark Sharman, but he refused to comment on Rider's position.

Comments

• Options
    Hamlet77Hamlet77 Posts: 22,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well he was always peeved at the beeb losing Formula 1, so much so BBC even tried an F1 magazine programme for a bit, most memorable was an interview with David Coulthard in a barbers.

When you see the likes of Claire Balding and others making a ham fisted attempt at Rugby League etc, you realise the idea of sportsmen presenting anything but their areas of expertise are quite pathetic.

When you see Steve Rider doing the business at The Masters or other event you see the reason why professional presenters are better than retired sports stars.

A bit of a shame if he leaves the BBC.
  • Options
    dsweetenhamdsweetenham Posts: 2,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hamlet77 wrote:
    Well he was always peeved at the beeb losing Formula 1, so much so BBC even tried an F1 magazine programme for a bit, most memorable was an interview with David Coulthard in a barbers.

I remember that they kept the Grand Prix music but it was awful and just highlighted the fact they had lost F1.
  • Options
    dids858dids858 Posts: 3,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think Balding does a good job on Rugby League unlike Ryder who cant bear to be near the sport.
  • Options
    DiZZySpOOnDiZZySpOOn Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    Steve Ryder on F1 would be a massive improvement!!Then only the massively annoying commentator, who tries to be Murray Walker all the time, is left to replace!
  • Options
    Hamlet77Hamlet77 Posts: 22,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DiZZySpOOn wrote:
    Steve Ryder on F1 would be a massive improvement!!Then only the massively annoying commentator, who tries to be Murray Walker all the time, is left to replace!

It's not just me who finds him a twonk then?
  • Options
    ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    Believe me it's not just you.

I'd need to find the link but someone has designed T-shirts that say get rid of him, just not in as nice terms.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Met the guy, He is a rude ****!!!!

Pissed myself when the next time i saw him, he was in the hotel bar on his own!!! HA HA
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 85,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm trying to think what Steve Rider actually does on the BBC: Golf, Rugby Union.....erm.....Olympics (but everyone presents that ;)). Is there anything else?
  • Options
    mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not many sports but a lot of days of coverage each year. Approximate amounts are as follows:

7 golf tournaments @ 4 days each = 28 days

Rugby Union - 6 nations (5 days) + Powergen Cup (5 days)

Rugby League - Challenge Cup (5 days)

Olympics - 16 days every 2 years (ie average 8 per year)

That's an average of 51 days per year and he also does a few other bits and pieces - eg Sports Personality of Year, Commonwealth Games (every 4 years), rowing.

I doubt any other sports presenter on BBC or ITV does more days each year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm......I wonder what his problem is then?

Is it the fact Lineker et al are being paid more for less time on air? I somehow don't think he'd get much more at ITV and he'd be on screen far less - say, F1 and maybe "Champions' Tuesday" on ITV2.

On a related note, whatever happened to Angus Scott on ITV?
  • Options
    mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm......I wonder what his problem is then?

Is it the fact Lineker et al are being paid more for less time on air? I somehow don't think he'd get much more at ITV and he'd be on screen far less - say, F1 and maybe "Champions' Tuesday" on ITV2.

On a related note, whatever happened to Angus Scott on ITV?

According to reports he's going to do F1 and the 2007 Rugby World Cup finals tournament.

He has never done any football.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DS are reporting, "The presenter is in talks to front the network's football coverage, as he is apparently feeling 'unloved' by the BBC." - http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds24653.html :)

If he goes to "front" the coverage, isn't that a kick in the teeth to Gabby Logan and Matt Smith, two perfectly capable presenters, who do the job well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mlt11 wrote:
    According to reports he's going to do F1 and the 2007 Rugby World Cup finals tournament.

He has never done any football.

well if he did go over there, he should do ITV1 coverage, Gabby Logan is awful, and really ITV should not be even considering for one second, her being the host of an football world cup, let Angus (Scott), Steve and Jim (Rosenthal), with Matt Smith doing like perhaps some sort of ITV Football Focus (what happen by the way to "On the Ball")

Also, if they are not going top use Steve for the boat race, the the ITV people behind that need to be left in the water for the boats to row over them, really he was always first class on the boat race, and Gabby Logan, just left you hoping that she would fall of the boat as she was watching the race. Still Don't think Steve would leave beeb until March next year, they would probably want him to do six nation as other sport presenter are in Turin and Melbourne for the Olympics and Commonwealth Games (saying that Commonwealth are in March)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my opinion they would be better using Matt Smith to present the football as well as Agus Scott. I dont particularly think Gabby Logan has what it takes to host the footy programmes where-as Matt Smith & Angus Scott do in my view. Again i can't really see Steve Rider being that great a football presenter, not dissing the guy like but i just dont see him suiting that role.

What i am surprised at most in all this is that ITV moved Jim Rosenthal to football :confused: Whats that all about!? I mean he is fantastic on F1 but i absolutely cannot see him doing the football thing i can only ever associate him with F1.

and i have to agree James Allen drives me round the bend! Rather than try to get Steve Rider they really should get someone better to sit alongside Martin Brundle, keep Martin though he is a brilliant analyst for F1.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    James Allen is a complete waste of space. Some of the dim, senseless platitudes he utters makes me want to throw boiling chip pan fat at small dogs.

Example : -

"Lets stop now and listen to the engine noise" 20 seconds of silence, embarressed shuffling in the background while he tries to think of something to say and then Martin Brundle has to bail him out.

How long has the bloke had since dear old Murray Walker retired? I'll tell you, f^%king years and he still hasn't improved.

He hasn't grown into the job at all and needs replacing ASAP.

As for Ryder, I think he's probably best of staying where he is. Granted, Plug out of the Beano who fronts MOTD gets the limelight but at least Steve can claim he's at a quality broadcaster. Saying ITV sports coverage is great is like comparing p%ss to fine Champagne. It looks yellow, it may contain the odd bubble, but it leaves an odd salty taste in the mouth.
  • Options
    colly_tygcolly_tyg Posts: 1,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richeh wrote:

What i am surprised at most in all this is that ITV moved Jim Rosenthal to football :confused: Whats that all about!? I mean he is fantastic on F1 but i absolutely cannot see him doing the football thing i can only ever associate him with F1.

Jim presented lots of football years ago, as well as numerous cup finals in the 80s.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    colly_tyg wrote:
    Jim presented lots of football years ago, as well as numerous cup finals in the 80s.

he also presented the first live league game to be shown on UK TV
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really? I didnt know that about Jim Rosenthal. I've learnt my new thing for the day :D
  • Options
    gkmaccagkmacca Posts: 9,386
    Forum Member
    Ryder is abrasively bland. Good riddance.
  • Options
    gkmaccagkmacca Posts: 9,386
    Forum Member
    Richeh wrote:
    Really? I didnt know that about Jim Rosenthal. I've learnt my new thing for the day :D

He also plays Mr Punch every August on Great Yarmouth pier.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still think if the beebs do replace Steve With Mark Nicholas, him and Sue Barker will have an lot in common to talk about, such as which celebs hair Styles they use
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MH1 wrote:
    Still think if the beebs do replace Steve With Mark Nicholas, him and Sue Barker will have an lot in common to talk about, such as which celebs hair Styles they use
    Mark Nicholas? Has he done anything other than cricket, something the BBC seems to lack at the moment?
  • Options
    colly_tygcolly_tyg Posts: 1,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's face it - Steve Rider wishes he was an American golf presenter working for NBC!
  • Options
    10past310past3 Posts: 1,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ClarkF1 wrote:
    Believe me it's not just you.

I'd need to find the link but someone has designed T-shirts that say get rid of him, just not in as nice terms.

Sniff Petrol
  • Options
    10past310past3 Posts: 1,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tvwatcher wrote:
    Met the guy, He is a rude ****!!!!

Pissed myself when the next time i saw him, he was in the hotel bar on his own!!! HA HA

I met him; an absolute gent. Very civilised. And lots of us have had reason to be in a hotel bar for a time....