Options

Copying to DVD from Sky/Sky+

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
Forum Member
I would be grateful for some advice on how to get the best from my Sky+ box and Sony DVD and hard-drive recorder.

What quality does Sky transmit programmes in? And what quality does Sky+ record in? Is it in both cases the equivalent of ‘SP’ (two-hour) mode on my Sony DVD recorder? If I want to record something off Sky onto DVD is there any point in me using ‘HQ’ (one-hour) mode on my DVD recorder? Will it degrade if I use ‘SP’ mode?

If I want the highest possible quality, is it best to record direct onto DVD rather than recording onto Sky+ first? Is there a loss of quality each time something is recorded/copied even if the same mode (e.g. ‘SP’) is used each time? If I record something on Sky+, then copy it onto the hard drive of my DVD recorder (to edit it), and then download it to DVD, will it degrade it three times? If so, can this be mitigated by using a higher quality mode (e.g. using ‘HQ’ to copy something recorded in ‘SP’)?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There isn't any loss of quality between a live Sky programme and a Sky+ recording, Sky+ just records the programme stream, it doesn't decode (and therefore re-encode) until you watch it.

Recording at SP isn't quite as good as the original, but the difference is negligible in my opinion. Depends how fussy you are, best thing is to try recording in SP and see if you are happy.

Assuming your DVD recorder does a straight data copy rather than re-encode anything again then there won't be any loss between your HDD and the DVD either. What you don't want to do is record in HQ on the HDD, then output to SP on the DVD.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Thanks Richtayls. I am profoundly ignorant about this decoding/re-encoding stuff so, just to confirm, am I correct in understanding you to say that-

 If I want to put (say) a 2-hour film onto DVD, there should be no loss of quality as a result of recording off Sky+ rather than directly off the original Sky transmission.

 If I copy to my DVD recorder hard drive before downloading onto DVD (e.g. to edit out the adverts) there should be no loss of quality provided I use the same recording mode each time.

 If the DVD will be recorded in ‘SP’ (two hour) mode, there is nothing to be gained from using a higher quality for the initial copying to the DVD recorder hard drive.

Thanks again.
  • Options
    Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    1) There is NO difference at all between picture quality of programs that you watch live and programs that you record on Sky+.

2) You will loose quality regardless when you record to your DVD recorder's hard disk. How much quality you will lose depends on what record mode you are using. But as many have said, 2hr recording on a DVD recorder these days is very acceptable.

3) The only thing to be gained will be an increase in Bitrate, and thus picture quality by using a one hour mode over a two hour mode.
  • Options
    suestormsuestorm Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    Always use the HQ mode when recording from Sky+ to your Sony if you intend to do a real time HDD>DVD copy,but if you know the running time of your final edit,record on the HDD in that quality and then you can high speed copy to DVD
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    What connection are you using between your Digibox output and your DVD recorder input ?
  • Options
    andybno1andybno1 Posts: 6,142
    Forum Member
    Hi I thought I'd reply to this with my question as it relates to this subject, I have s-video in and aux in audio would I benefit more from using s-video with the aux audio to using scart?
  • Options
    Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    Nope, I think SVideo is of lesser quality to RGB Scart. In my experience anyway.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 303
    Forum Member
    DanVitale wrote:
    Nope, I think SVideo is of lesser quality to RGB Scart. In my experience anyway.
    marginal though - I doubt you'd see the difference in practice - why not just do a couple of test comparisons and see what you think?
  • Options
    suestormsuestorm Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    If your dvd recorder has an RGB input you may aswell use it as it IS slightly better than s-video,although you would find it difficult to notice unless you had both side by side.
    There's no point in using s-video unless RGB input is absent,or you have a connections shortfall
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 303
    Forum Member
    also a scart connection will carry audio so no need for extra cables

One point though - the VCR scart on a digibox doesn't do RGB, it's PAL composite only, only the TV scart does both RGB and comp (at least that's the case on my PACE)
  • Options
    andybno1andybno1 Posts: 6,142
    Forum Member
    cheers for the responses I shall stick with scart