Freeview PVR (Bush IDPVR801B) (merged)

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 66
Forum Member
In tescos today and saw a sign underneath an empty shelf for a Bush IDPVR80, price was £99.98.

I am assuming from the desciption this is a Bush PVR with 80GB.

When I questioned one of the staff he said they should have them within 3 to 4 days.

Has anyone heard of this model ?

Thanks,

Mark

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    Sorry, should ahve done a more thorough search, I am assuming it is the same bush mentioned here.

http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=234483&page=3

If it is under £100 seems a good price.
  • BoinngBoinng Posts: 5,752
    Forum Member
    There have been Bush clones of Fusion PVRs previously, tho these were catalogue exclusives I think - could be a FVRT150 in a different box, or perhaps even a 200? Alternatively, it may the Vestel single tuner PVR that Goodmans were said to be rebadging (Goodmans and Bush are both Alba stablemates). I've not heard from anyone that's yet put their hands on one of these, so no idea if it's any good - though the fact that it's single tuner puts me off.
  • BoinngBoinng Posts: 5,752
    Forum Member
    ebony joe wrote:
    Sorry, should ahve done a more thorough search, I am assuming it is the same bush mentioned here.

http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=234483&page=3

If it is under £100 seems a good price.

You mean this one - http://www.additionsdirect.co.uk/additions/shopper.asp?brand=additions&prod%5Fid=218268&link%5Fid=355

It's listed under the single tuners in the comparison thread, so I guess it's the Vestel PVR. Tesco's is certainly cheaper - if it works, £100's not too bad for a single tuner.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    B&Q will be stocking this and other Bush products up and till the newyear...

The PVR will go for £99....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 238
    Forum Member
    This might be a 40gb model, which is a Fusion 100 in Bush clothing. Index used to sell these

I had one which was faulty, I swapped with a Fusion 150
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a silver version of the Goodmans here, which is not surprising, as they are all brand names associated with the alba company
    Forum Member
    Just been to Tesco's again, and they had them in.

Its a Bush branded 80GB single tuner freeview PVR.

Not bad for £100 but I still wouldn't touch anything that is not dual tuner.

I think they should rebrand single tuner PVR's as digital VCR's or something to avoid confusion with dual receivers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ebony joe wrote:
    Just been to Tesco's again, and they had them in.

Its a Bush branded 80GB single tuner freeview PVR.

Not bad for £100 but I still wouldn't touch anything that is not dual tuner.

I think they should rebrand single tuner PVR's as digital VCR's or something to avoid confusion with dual receivers.

hi ebony,
    Which Tesco is it? Thanks

Do you think its possible that it has two tuners, but can only record once channel from one tuner anly use the other to view onother channel. like the pace twin? It does sound like a single tuner if it is that cheap.

Its useful for me to be able to record two things that are on a the same time when I need to. You didnt seem to be able to do that until the Fusion 100 generation of PVRs this time last year. But a lot of PVRs still only offer a dual tuner unit but only able to use one of them for recording.

mind you. if you want to record 4 different channels at the same time or record 3 and watch another, you can have an 80gb version for £242 and 160gb for £332 from Fusion. You have to have two devices under your tv though!!!(2xFVRT100 or 2x FVRT200)
    Forum Member
    marcdavis wrote:
    hi ebony,
    Which Tesco is it? Thanks

Do you think its possible that it has two tuners, but can only record once channel from one tuner anly use the other to view onother channel. like the pace twin? It does sound like a single tuner if it is that cheap.

Its useful for me to be able to record two things that are on a the same time when I need to. You didnt seem to be able to do that until the Fusion 100 generation of PVRs this time last year. But a lot of PVRs still only offer a dual tuner unit but only able to use one of them for recording.

mind you. if you want to record 4 different channels at the same time or record 3 and watch another, you can have an 80gb version for £242 and 160gb for £332 from Fusion. You have to have two devices under your tv though!!!(2xFVRT100 or 2x FVRT200)

Its definetley a single tuner only, what you record is what you would have to watch.

I guess it would be ideal for someone who already has freeview and just wants to replace an ageing VCR.

It was the Bidston Moss store on the Wirral.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    this is indeed the Vestel PVR. there's some screenshots on the box that show blatent vestel firmware, i work at B&Q and we just got them in.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 321
    Forum Member
    The Vestel PVR out this autumn was supposed to be twin tuner (but might be single record?). IIRC 'Vestel firmware' is developed by Cabot Communications (which I think is owned by Vestel), who also make firmware for many other manufacturers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    Telly_Man wrote:
    this is indeed the Vestel PVR. there's some screenshots on the box that show blatent vestel firmware, i work at B&Q and we just got them in.

Telly_Man, do you know if B&Q are stocking these Nation Wide, as I see there is a 15% discount offer on over the weekend, at £85, this would make it an attractive buy, if only for the ability to receive Freeview & time shift on the bedroom TV ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    Bonburton wrote:
    Telly_Man, do you know if B&Q are stocking these Nation Wide, as I see there is a 15% discount offer on over the weekend, at £85, this would make it an attractive buy, if only for the ability to receive Freeview & time shift on the bedroom TV ?

Mainly at the larger Warehouse and Mini-Warehouse stores, the store I work at hasn't got them in yet...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    Bonburton wrote:

Got one for £85 from B&Q warehouse in Sheffield yesterday evening. It seems to work very well, although the provided manual doesn't seem consistent with the current version of software, so learning how to use it is a bit of a "teach yourself" operation. The thing seems very quiet and stable, and I can get many more channels than were picked up by my old Daewoo box. Main irritation is on screen display during "chase play" mode (small red triangle for "play",which I can't figure out how to remove). But at £85 for an 80gb machine I don't think you can grumble!
    Forum Member
    Hi JC

Is it a Bush IDPVR 801b ? And thanks for the info.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it quiet?
    Forum Member
    Bonburton wrote:
    Hi JC

Is it a Bush IDPVR 801b ? And thanks for the info.

yes it is.
    Forum Member
    Ang wrote:
    Is it quiet?

Yes, seems very quiet to me. Of course it makes some hard drive noise, but I find it inobtrusive.
    Forum Member
    Ang wrote:
    Is it quiet?

Picked one up this morning, if you put your ear to the top of the box you can detect a rather reassuring but extremely hushed purrrr, as you step back from the machine you wonder if its still breathing. Early days yet, but so far so good.

dw
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    I have just picked one up from B&Q as well for £85. It seems excellant for this money - OK it has limitations of only one tuner and the overall look and feel is a bit on the cheap side but overall i am pleased. I have a 120Gb Tivo and Thomson 4000 (120Gb) and i would say it compares well. The text is unbelievably fast - i have never (perhaps in my sheltered) life seen DTT text go so fast - it even compares well to the old analogue version for speed.
    On the noise front it is not perfect (no sign of a fan) as the HDD is noticeable though at this stage reasonably unobtrusive. It has a big clonky on/off button on the front panel which kill all the power if needs be for totally silent in-operation - maybe a good choice for the bedroom??
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anyone able to put photos of the box and screenshots of the menu, epg etc online?
    Forum Member
    OK, now had the box for a couple of days and have had a chance to give all operations a thorough check. Mostly, I'm very happy with it. The only problem seems to be with the EPG. It says 7 days on the box, but I can only see the next 3 days on the EPG. Also, the EPG seems a bit slow to "populate" with programmes (ie shows "no information available" for quite a while before programme info is displayed). Anyone any ideas about this? I wondered if the problem might be if the EPG is transmitted by 4TV (i don't know how to tell. any suggestions?) as muxD reception in our area is a bit dodgy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnCee wrote:
    OK, now had the box for a couple of days and have had a chance to give all operations a thorough check. Mostly, I'm very happy with it. The only problem seems to be with the EPG. It says 7 days on the box, but I can only see the next 3 days on the EPG. Also, the EPG seems a bit slow to "populate" with programmes (ie shows "no information available" for quite a while before programme info is displayed). Anyone any ideas about this? I wondered if the problem might be if the EPG is transmitted by 4TV (i don't know how to tell. any suggestions?) as muxD reception in our area is a bit dodgy.

All the 4TV EPGs are something like 14 days, whereas the IDPVR801B's that I have say 7 day EPG. I am also pretty sure it the same PVR as the goodmans one being sold in Argos for £120. There is a phone number on the back of it so will ask some questions to their customer support people tomorrow. Will give a chance to road test their support too.

Probably worth starting a new thread for this model though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bought a few of these from B&Q and see others have too, hence new thread.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    new thread dedicated to Bush IDPVR801B now started. See Freeview PVR (Bush IDPVR801B).