Options

More4 to be free-to-view? Are we sure?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wheres the bleating from the folks out of range of Astra 2D? ;)
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sky are currently recruiting more Labour robots.Sky seem to be the most powerful people on DTT.In comparison with George Bush,Sky and George Bush are the two most powerful people in the World.

More4 is now encrypted.Yes the only way is to subscribe to More4 to view it on Sky's Freesat service.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eye2006 wrote:
    Sky are currently recruiting more Labour robots.Sky seem to be the most powerful people on DTT.In comparison with George Bush,Sky and George Bush are the two most powerful people in the World.

More4 is now encrypted.Yes the only way is to subscribe to More4 to view it on Sky's Freesat service.

Its not even on Sky's freesat service its gonna be £15 a month :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 249
    Forum Member
    I have spoken to a lady on the number quoted above.

Summary as follows:

Staff on info line were told that it would be free to air on ALL platforms until today. Lady started by giving the new blurb "fta on freeview and in various packages on Sky and cable" but admitted this was new info she had been handed very recently.

She says negotiations were going on with Sky today and were CURRENTLY still taking place.

She said Ch 4 wants it FTA on satellite but couldn't get out of Sky's grips.

She confirmed that they had received a lot of complaints about this and she said it was Sky's doing (her words) and that Ch 4's hands were tied so maybe Sky still have a clause in their contract that Ch 4 can't get out of?

Hope this is useful - everyone should phone - be nice but tell them you're pissed off - she types down summary of your complaint.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it might go free to air at 8pm.

like itv3 problems that happened last year. only 40 mins to find out.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV's problems were solved by buying out Sky's stake in the channel. That kind of path isn't open here.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 100
    Forum Member
    Wheres the bleating from the folks out of range of Astra 2D? ;)

"Please ensure your reply is constructive and adds to the discussion"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    On More4's channel 165 on the EPG there's a telephone number (Sky's presumably) saying you can subscribe to the channel. I assume it's not possible to subscribe just to one extra channel? Do you have to take the whole minimum Sky crappage... sorry package?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if they where having to have talks with sky for what ever reason then they where in no position to be telling me as they did this morning that it would be free in satellite. I had two info people one sunday and one earler today repeat that, they can make sky the bad guy all they like but its Channel4 who are in charge of thier own staff.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just watch the preview on C4 at 7.55pm and lets see what they say and show
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The EPG data is regulated by Ofcom. I wonder if a complaint to them about the synposis of the More4 Preview including the words "free-to-air" would have any effect?
  • Options
    SlaneSlane Posts: 1,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OnlyLee wrote:
    Yes, we were shot down, but it really doesn't matter about that now. Let's all move on and be pissed at Channel Four together, rather than each other.

Agreed.

At the very start of the More4 testing it was available on an FTV card then on the 29 of September it became only available on a subscription card.

What happened to make them change the encryption level ?

The info from the telephone calls to Channel 4 sounds strange. Channel 4 want More4 to be FTA but Sky won't let them? Meanwhile Sky are saying that they want it to be FTA but Channel 4 have decided to make it subscription?

The copyright issue can't be the problem. The Beeb have shown that this can work, and Channel 4 had a long time to sort out any problems.

What about EPG placing? Well More4 (for the moment anyway) are just using E4's third spot, so Sky shouldn't have had any leverage in terms of placement.

So could it just be greed on Channel 4's part? Get subscription revenue and advertising revenue while they can? Or is there a more subtle reason why Channel 4 would want to be free on terrestrial but subscription on satellite?

Well it's a known fact that BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and 5 have a bigger audience share on digital terrestrial, so why would Channel 4 want to drive up sales of satellite systems by being available on freesat? The answer is - they wouldn't. The more people who buy Freeview (for all those free channels that they'd have to pay for on satellite), the better in the long run for Channel 4.

And that may be why folks with Freesat and FTA systems tonight will not get to see A Very Social Secretary.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think I will be taking notice of any press releases or information viewer relations give out anymore.

Promising things for Freeview that they can't possibly deliver and now blatent lieing. I'm beginning to wonder whether their reasons for E4 not going FTV were a blatent lie as well. :rolleyes:

Nice professional start anyway, cutting the trailer off mid flow. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    cifpower wrote:
    The EPG data is regulated by Ofcom. I wonder if a complaint to them about the synposis of the More4 Preview including the words "free-to-air" would have any effect?

Give it a go!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    axious wrote:
    So...let me get this straight. Channel 4 own More 4. Channel 4 want More 4 to be free on digital satelitte.
    But Sky are telling them no way?

I would tell Sky where to go. Surly Sky can't tell a channel when they can or can't be free!!!

I seem to remember that when Channel 4 signed the CA deal with BSkyB, the reports mentioned that G4 may have been included.

Since G4 has morphed into More4, maybe this is the reason?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with monkey magic.

Anyway - start looked good. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    :( i hope it goes fta, otherwise no more4 for me :cry:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    The info from the telephone calls to Channel 4 sounds strange. Channel 4 want More4 to be FTA but Sky won't let them? Meanwhile Sky are saying that they want it to be FTA but Channel 4 have decided to make it subscription?

The copyright issue can't be the problem.
    It must have something to do with the existing carriage/ encryption- contract between 4 and Sky.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    8pm and no channel. Great! (see above)

Just had a look on the Sky Websie and can't find it in any of the new 'mixes'. Would it be variety mix (like E4) or Style/Culture. Anyway, REALLY don't want to pay Murdoch £15 per month (12 month contract) for a channel that has been so heavily promoted as free-to-air.

I had even decided not to purchase the S6 West Wing DVDs (out last week) as I had wished to support the new channel.

V. Annoyed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    There is a forum on the More 4 website where we can all express our views on this.

http://community.channel4.com/groupee/forums/a/cfrm/f/8710007323
  • Options
    Top Up TV loverTop Up TV lover Posts: 1,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can see sky getting lots of new subscribers tomorrow. More 4 seems a good channel, you might as well bite the bullet and get the £15 sky pack.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it would be easier and cheaper if you can to just get freeview.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Slane wrote:
    At the very start of the More4 testing it was available on an FTV card then on the 29 of September it became only available on a subscription card.

What happened to make them change the encryption level ?

So could it just be greed on Channel 4's part? Get subscription revenue and advertising revenue while they can? Or is there a more subtle reason why Channel 4 would want to be free on terrestrial but subscription on satellite?

I wonder whether C4 made a decision to go subscription on the date when the feed went to subscription only encryption and are blaming Sky to try and take the heat off.

The whole thing seems a shambles. Even as late as 3pm this afternoon the more4 preview was available via the red button on C4 using only a FTV card. Why offer people a preview of a channel that they won't be able to receive.

Maybe this is all linked to the deal made to enable E4 to go free to air on Freeview. Either way telling the truth would have helped matters.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    BowWow wrote:
    There is a forum on the More 4 website where we can all express our views on this.

http://community.channel4.com/groupee/forums/a/cfrm/f/8710007323

Hey nice idea, just registered but it takes upto 24 hours for registrataion to be approved. I would expect an onslaught tomorrow though.

Selling something and not delivering?
    Channel 4 needs to go and sit on it's own naughty stair...

Stuart
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Just reported to Advertising Standards using their online form - their adverts clearly stated More 4 as "free-to-air" on satellite.