Options

Top up tv do not support recording on topfield

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 70
Forum Member
Hi Guys,
Just got off the phone from a young girl at the call centre (who was really sweet) as I was having problems with recording the top up channels. What happens is every time I set a recording for ie discovery either in the epg or zap record when I go to library I have a zero length recording.

Apparently now top up do not support recording of subscription based channels on topfield. Obviously I am really pee'd - this is due to the SPL pay per view, and an anouncement will be made to the likes of turbo sat and all that currently sell topfield. :eek:

Obviously this is not good enough - do they really want customers??? The whole point of the topfield for me was to make use of time-share channels that I am either at work or am in bed when they are on. Whats the point now, I can see a lot of angry topfield users out there.

Where do we lay with this - I mean obviously the topfield is not fit for the purpose of what it was brought for so - am I entitled to a refund??? and at who's expence??

:mad:

What are your views ????

Mine are to get rid of my subscription as is not worth it now, I have always been a top up fan - but sky plus is looking even more attractive.

Top up obviously do not care about their customers anymore and that is a real shame.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dan1975 wrote:
    Where do we lay with this - I mean obviously the topfield is not fit for the purpose of what it was brought for so - am I entitled to a refund??? and at who's expence??
    But it is for the purpose it was sold. The retailer may take it back but don't have to (unless they sold it to you as definatly being able to record Top Up TV at a time it couldn't). I'd say Top Up TV were at fault and so if you/they cant get it working, then you have to decide weather Top Up TV is still worth it. Presumably setting up a timer on an ordinary Top Up TV box and VCRing it will work but not as well.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry if I appear a bit thick. Is it just the Topfield that cannot record or any type of recording machine. I mean I sometimes video a programme from one of the Top Up Channels to watch later. So what is the difference between recording on Topfield or recording to a VHS Tape ? I dont get their point , surely a recording is a recording whether it is on a PVR a tape or a disc.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,626
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear...this isn't good...I wonder why this has happened
  • Options
    Top Up TV loverTop Up TV lover Posts: 1,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dan1975 wrote:
    I have always been a top up fan - but sky plus is looking even more attractive.
    Before you leave and get SKY+ i'd try sending matt seaman of top up tv an email and explain this to him. His email address is...

Matt.Seaman@topuptv.com

I can't understand why they just can't just switch the protection on just on the SPL stream and leave the other streams how they are. If enough people email about this then maybe they'll put it back how it was.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No, no way.

I mean do these people think we are thick or something?? it's there mess they deal with it , i am not going to send a pleading letter ... oh please Matt seamon please... no way.

Do they think they can just take this functionality away and not expect people to bother about it... let alone email or call the people with topfield boxes and tell them this is what is gonna happen.

The way I see it is a customer and a paying customer I might add I have the power to make a difference by unsubscribing and if that means other people will aswell so be it.

Where is common customer curtisy??? :(
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought there were 'TUTV' PVR's on the market? Are you saying they won't be able to record as well?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dan1975 wrote:
    No, no way.

I mean do these people think we are thick or something?? it's there mess they deal with it , i am not going to send a pleading letter ... oh please Matt seamon please... no way.
    I wasn't saying you should beg, i was saying you should complain.

But if you can't be arsed to even do that then nothing will change until people complain.

So it looks like you'll end up with SKY+ but what happens if something goes wrong with your SKY+ will you still not complain? and just give up on PVR's and go back to VHS? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought there were 'TUTV' PVR's on the market? Are you saying they won't be able to record as well?
    It looks like they aren't supporting those PVR's that require a CAM...those that have a card slot only seem ok (if I understand the page correctly)

They still support the Humax MG-TU1 by the look of things

http://www.topuptv.co.uk/compare_products.htm

Edit: This isn't a PVR :o Thanks mad_dude
  • Options
    mad_dudemad_dude Posts: 10,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It looks like they aren't supporting those PVR's that require a CAM...those that have a card slot only seem ok (if I understand the page correctly)

They still support the Humax MG-TU1 by the look of things

http://www.topuptv.co.uk/compare_products.htm

According to that website that box isnt a PVR
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mad_dude wrote:
    According to that website that box isnt a PVR
    ooops...sorry :o
    I thought it was one...am sure Humax had a PVR for TUTV :confused:

Edit: Yes they do...wonder if TUTV works on this: http://www.humaxdigital.com/uk/products/pvr-9200t.asp
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Redcoat wrote:
    There is a Sagem PVR that Argos stock that can take a PUTV card. That is the only PVR that I know which has the CAM built in.
    Aaah yes this one: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5320589/Trail/C%24cip%3D28956.Sound%2Band%2Bvision%3EC%24cip%3D29025.Digital%2BTV%2Band%2BFreeview%3EC%24cip%3D29028.Top%2Bup%2Btv%2Bset%2Btop%2Bboxes.htm
  • Options
    Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is really stupid. It's such an expensive device, without TUTV it's a HUGE doorstop.
    Although I don't think TUTV will face any problems with this as they have never said that the Topfield supports recording of TUTV and Topfield will just say it supports a CAM in one of the two CI slots.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    I have sent two emails to TUTV in the past week about this problem - they haven't had the courtesy to reply to either. They gave no warning and they have given me no explanation as to why they have blocked my Topfield from time-shifting or recording.
    Of course, you can still record to VHS or DVD so this is a totally pointless exercise on their part - it shows just what a bunch of morons are running TUTV
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess the Topfield is no longer an approved decoder...but they should have given notice of this change.

Did anyone with a Topfield actually tell TUTV when they registered their card that it would be used in a Topfield?

From the TUTV Terms & Conditions:
    You confirm to us that you will only use the Viewing Card in an authorised Decoder
    Source: http://www.topuptv.co.uk/terms.htm

You may want to have a read and see if there is anything there that you can pull them up on
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has it screwed up the recording of the FTA channels as well?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daveoc64 wrote:
    This is really stupid. It's such an expensive device, without TUTV it's a HUGE doorstop..
    I think thats a bit harsh on all the Freeview channels, many people like them.
    Redcoat wrote:
    There is a Sagem PVR that Argos stock that can take a PUTV card. That is the only PVR that I know which has the CAM built in.
    There's no such thing as PUTV, don't be so childish. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member

But if you can't be arsed to even do that then nothing will change until people complain.

So it looks like you'll end up with SKY+ but what happens if something goes wrong with your SKY+ will you still not complain? and just give up on PVR's and go back to VHS? :confused:

Well if something goes wrong with sky plus it would be fixed wouldnt it??? yes I would complain - i mean who would'nt - but however if sky plus functionality was taken away like that of top up then that would be different matter especially for people who have a sub for sky plus.

By not complaining anymore and not being arsed as you so rightly put it, means they lose my custom and probably others on here too, I have already spoken to the call centre if they can sort it out then I dont believe top up can either!! The point is that when topup realise this is a mistake and that their current user base has dropped signigicantly do you think they will be arsed to gather an advertising campain to get people back ??? ofcourse they would - but there is only so much money in the kitty!!

BTW I am not having a pop at you so do not take this the wrong way, what you have said here is all good and probably the correct way to go about sorting this, but by top up not telling topfield users in the first place that the record functionality for sub channels has now ceased or will be ceasing on xxx date, is in my opinion wrong! It is as if we were left to figure this bit out for ourselves.... now where is the right in that, bit selfish if you ask me.
    And I do thankyou for your comments, afterall its people like yourself who do make those differences. ;)
  • Options
    Mark SmithMark Smith Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daveoc64 wrote:
    This is really stupid. It's such an expensive device, without TUTV it's a HUGE doorstop.
    Although I don't think TUTV will face any problems with this as they have never said that the Topfield supports recording of TUTV and Topfield will just say it supports a CAM in one of the two CI slots.
    A bit of an overreaction to call it a doorstop. There are over 30 Freeview channels and only 4-5 Top Up streams. The Topfield records all the Freeview channels fine. This is not Topfields fault. It is Top Up for changing the encryption so programmes can't be recorded on some boxes.

I've had a Topfield for three months and haven't even considered adding a CAM so I can get the TUTV service. There's more than enough to watch on Freeview with a PVR.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So it looks like you'll end up with SKY+ but what happens if something goes wrong with your SKY+ will you still not complain? and just give up on PVR's and go back to VHS?

didnt you say that anyone who complained about TUTV was an "anti-TUTV fan boy" over the misleading advertising does that now make you the same thing because you are urging people complain about TUTV :) unusual with the name tutv lover
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thread over on toppy forum where Nigel (forum owner) has stated he hopes to have more news on Monday.
  • Options
    TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    Redcoat wrote:

I've got one of these and will be incredibly irritated if I can't use it to record TUTV channels.

Off to try it now.

Edit:

A scheduled recording of Massive Machines on Discovery a 2:00pm has started succesfully. Will report back to the forum at 2.30pm.
  • Options
    PaulS67PaulS67 Posts: 12,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've got one of these and will be incredibly irritated if I can't use it to record TUTV channels.

Off to try it now.

The Sagem is fine, its the CAMS that cause the problem
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    I guess the Topfield is no longer an approved decoder...but they should have given notice of this change.

Did anyone with a Topfield actually tell TUTV when they registered their card that it would be used in a Topfield?

From the TUTV Terms & Conditions:Source: http://www.topuptv.co.uk/terms.htm

You may want to have a read and see if there is anything there that you can pull them up on
    It is "no longer" that is the thing that TUTV have done - The Toppy WAS approved, many users DID register as using a Toppy. TUTV remove it from the list and block recordings.

A superb way to run a company and a lesson to everybody about Public Relations and Customer Care
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What an absolute farce. The good thing about DTT is the fact you can pick your own hardware now it looks like TUTV want to drag us down the line of 'approved' hardware.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CeeGee wrote:
    It is "no longer" that is the thing that TUTV have done - The Toppy WAS approved, many users DID register as using a Toppy. TUTV remove it from the list and block recordings.
    I know it was approved, as at the beginning of the week I posted a link on here to the TUTV compare STB's page, and the Topfield was listed. I was just wondering if people had actually told TUTV when they registered the card that it was going to be used in a Topfield. If they did, then TUTV have no excuse to contact customers that use this box, as it would/should be recorded in their contact details.

Is it a CAM issue?...even with a legitimate TUTV CAM?

If you phone TUTV and tell them you're using a box other than a Topfield, might that work?

Sorry, just trying to think of ideas around this...am not upto speed with all the technical aspects of these things.