H & M advertising Horror!

donelsondonelson Posts: 1,819
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Dear (misguided) Odeon Management

I had to sit through the seemingly endless and totally appalling "Romero and Juliet" advertisement by H&M at the Odeon Wimbledon cinema today.

Please KILL ME NOW.

The manager and ALL four of his staff who were present when I complained ALL agreed this ad was terrible and would do H&M NO GOOD.

He said he had already had hundreds of complaints about it, and expected hundreds more!

I told him I would NOT be going to any movie cinemas which show this horrible, grating, nerve-wracking, soppy, cliched, disgusting load of crap.

He wished he could pull it, but apparently MONEY-LUST wins over the GREEDY Odeon Board of Directors, against any remote semblence of good taste, fairness or customer care.

I paid £15 for two tickets, and THEY MADE US WATCH A TOTAL OF 35 MINUTES Ads before the feature started !!! Who do they think you are?

--->>> NO WONDER cinema attendance is going down.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You didn't have to sit through it.

You could have waited in the lobby until your film actually started.

Or ask the attendant, when purchasing your ticket, what time the film actually starts and take your seat while they're changing reels.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I missing something? What advert is this?
  • donelsondonelson Posts: 1,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    metafis wrote:
    Thats isnt the point though!.
    Exactly. In doing some searches on the internet, I find that this horror is being shown in cinemas all around the world! Can you imagine!

And to have the tragic duo die, not by their own hands, but by gunshots! Juliet is shot by the police! There were catcalls in the cinema during the whole presentation. In staid, polite Wimbledon! I've never heard catcalls in the Wimbledon Odeon in over ten years!

Apparently, H&M are very proud of this Lachapelle travesty.

And to be charged £7.50 per seat, and then be ambushed by this garbage... Odeon must have real contempt for their customers.

-- Outrageously expensive tickets, time consuming and costly to attend cinemas, and insulting in the increasing length and falling quality of ads inflicted on us. No wonder cinema attendance is going down!

Sure, I know you can wait outside to skip the ads, or arrive late, but then you lose your chance at reasonable seats. So, I'll not be going to Odeon again until this ad finishes its terrible run. ("Run" as in what happens to you the next day after too-spicy food).

Has anyone else seen this yet?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 92
    Forum Member
    Advert is at UCI and Odeon cinemas, and is truly terrible. I am avoiding watching any 15+ rated films at UCI for the forseeable future and will (as I said after the 10 minute ad ended), never buy anything from H&M ever again.

I think donelson's point surely is that it for a 10 minute film to be shown *in addition* to the normal complement of adverts and trailers is excessive.

The only people I know that liked this advert didn't actually see it - they we just grateful that they didn't miss any of the film despite being 10 minutes late!

It is being advertised within the cinema and in newspapers as a film, but I was at no point told that I was booking tickets for a double-bill.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    It's usually around 20 minutes before the film actually starts. You get the adverts then the trailers. I like sitting through them though :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haven't seen the ad, what's the deal?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose you can call it a music video (with truly awful music) telling a modern New York Romeo and Juliet story in n very long minutes, aimed to advertise H & M's new "soulful jeans" (and H & M's other items of clothing as well I suppose).

I've sat through it twice which is exactly two times too many :mad: (For the record, wasn't at an Odeon, or in the UK for that matter).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh god. I watched it today. Shoot me now
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cannot believe (well, yes I can) that H&M are actually proud of this crap.

If you think about it... a bunch of fattish, oldish, white-ish men sitting around a boardroom table, completely befuddled by anything hip, totally disconnected from their target market, congratulating themselves on how cool they are told they are!

They are, of course, told this by people with $$$$ in their eyes at how much they're going to make on the Emperor's New Clothes - literally !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's awful..i saw it in a email newsletter the other week.

The fact that it only follows Romeo and Juliet to the loosest detail is one thing. The fact that it goes on forever is just horrid.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,156
    Forum Member
    This is probably one film that they would like to have lots of people downloading.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    donelson wrote:
    Dear (misguided) Odeon Management

I had to sit through the seemingly endless and totally appalling "Romero and Juliet" advertisement by H&M at the Odeon Wimbledon cinema today.

Please KILL ME NOW.

The manager and ALL four of his staff who were present when I complained ALL agreed this ad was terrible and would do H&M NO GOOD.

He said he had already had hundreds of complaints about it, and expected hundreds more!

I told him I would NOT be going to any movie cinemas which show this horrible, grating, nerve-wracking, soppy, cliched, disgusting load of crap.

He wished he could pull it, but apparently MONEY-LUST wins over the GREEDY Odeon Board of Directors, against any remote semblence of good taste, fairness or customer care.

I paid £15 for two tickets, and THEY MADE US WATCH A TOTAL OF 35 MINUTES Ads before the feature started !!! Who do they think you are?

--->>> NO WONDER cinema attendance is going down.

I haven't yet seen it, and I'm sure I'll find it appalling. But to avoid going to the cinema altogether, because of one advert, seems like a gross over-reaction.

It must be really bad!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 92
    Forum Member
    It's usually around 20 minutes before the film actually starts. You get the adverts then the trailers. I like sitting through them though.
    I agree, I like the trailers and adverts too. The variety and the short length of them means they don't get boring, and it's better than having lots of people getting to their seats while the film is actually on.

But for an extra 10 minutes to be tolerable, it would have to be good. The two songs are largely indistinguishable and very little actually happens.

Honestly it makes you think Romeo got the best deal. At least he's dead for the most part and can't hear Juliet bleating.

And what is the message? "Buy our £20 jeans! They look great if you're lying dead in the middle on the road, or if you're crouched over your lover's body."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seems like a gross over-reaction. It must be really bad!
    It's not just the ad, it's the attitude of Odeon et al that they can charge us to watch this crap. You just know that H&M paid oodles to Odeon to run it. Greedy b*st*rds.

And it's the time and expense of going to the cinema as well, when you know for most movies you can just wait for the DVD and see it for 1/10th the cinema cost.

After all, £7.50 per ticket, and then forced to watch this crap.

(If you come late to skip it, all the good seats are gone...)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the trailers and adverts too..

Honestly it makes you think Romeo got the best deal. At least he's dead for the most part and can't hear Juliet bleating.
    Here, here!

Yes, I admit that if the ads are short and clever, they're not so bad. I do object to paying £7.50 each, and THEN having ads as well. Greedy SOBs.

It's no wonder cinema attendance is going down...
  • hopwoodlhopwoodl Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they should bring back the old adverts that used to play in the cinemas like the Westlers hot dogs you could buy in the foyer and the Butterkist popcorn ones too. They were SO cheesy that they were great!!! :D
  • OcdGirlOcdGirl Posts: 12,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love watching trailers... sometimes they are actually better than the film that follows...but the adverts do tend to rile after a while
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love watching trailers... sometimes they are actually better than the film that follows...but the adverts do tend to rile after a while
    What I don't like about the Hollywood trailers is, they often show pieces of the entire movie, beginning to end, IN ORDER ! Why go see the movie at all?

;-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And what is the message? "Buy our £20 jeans! They look great if you're lying dead in the middle on the road, or if you're crouched over your lover's body."
    Lol :)

I had to sit through that ghastly ad again yesterday :mad: I just can't imagine how anyone would have put in the time and effort to produce something quite that awful and be proud of it. I don't normally mind the ads and generally like the trailers... but the H & M ad is just so bloody annoying, boring and way too long. :mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frank Lloyd Wright, the american architect, said TV is bubble-gum for the eyes.

The H&M ad is crap-flavoured bubble-gum for the eyes!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I cannot believe you guys get charged 7.50 per seat down there!! In Newcastle it's generally about 4.40 at the Cinema I go to, but 7.50 is insane :eek:

Stand and deliver..... your money or your life :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    M2A1G wrote:
    I cannot believe you guys get charged 7.50 per seat
    Yes, terrible. But you are right, it's usually much cheaper here, say £4.50 weekdays before 5pm, and £6.50 for big pictures on the weekend.

I think they actually CHARGED US to see the effing H&M ad !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't seen the ad but it sounds like a mass boycott of H&M is in order, for making people pay to see it. It sounds awful
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    By the way, this isn't a UK only phenomenon. I'm in Barcelona where it is currently being shown before films too.

There is no escape
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D Sizzle wrote:
    By the way, this isn't a UK only phenomenon. I'm in Barcelona where it is currently being shown before films too.
    What was the audience reaction there? As bad as in London?